Events 3, 4 OTA Supp Regs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Events 3, 4 OTA Supp Regs

In previous seasons there was often only one practice session. That one session was jam-packed with cars in each class and we had to accomplish a number of things: get familiar with the track, remember lines, identify RP's, select shock settings and tires pressures, plan fuel consumption and any number of other things depending on the car/competitor - not to mention being constantly lapped by cars in higher classes. So much was riding on that one practice session that I can't remember many times when I actually felt ready for the competition laps.

Under the old format I used the first, and second set of competition laps to verify what I learned on track and refine my setup, RPs and race line. Under the new format with 3 sessions along side similarly paced cars I can bear down on car setup, race line(s) to take and to try, gauge competitors' strengths and ready my mindset for all out competition laps. After 2 lapping sessions I can concentrate on driving a faster line and that reduces any need for lunch time lapping. Having said that, any issues with the car during the morning causing a competitor to miss some sessions can be made up during lunch time lapping provided the issue is resolved. Post-competition lapping is great for taking out guests. Two thumbs WAY UP for the new format!
    CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
    sigpic
    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

^ ^ Agreed 100%, Pierre!

Just think of the days when you RUSHED to get in your ONE (or two? if lucky) practise sessions in the early morning, then due to delays, your group may not have actually hit the track until almost lunch time, or in some (rare) circumstances, AFTER lunch! So much may have changed between ~9am and ~1pm, your car is cold, your mind has gone back to sleep .....

..... allowing much more dedicated lapping is absolutely the way to go, and yet, maintaining a sufficient amount of competition .

BTW, how many yellow flags were there this weekend?
      OMSC
      Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
      Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
        ^ ^ Agreed 100%, Pierre!

BTW, how many yellow flags were there this weekend?

Very few. The better gridding is a great help.

Guys, this info needs to get out there. Our competitors are happier than pigs in S*%# but lots of other drivers and enthusiasts have no idea of how much better things are now.

BTW, it seems our reputation with some lappers and the other time attack series is of being a bit too "hard core". I think the novice sessions and available practice with instructors should change that image.
        Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

This feedback is great! (and I'm 100% in agreement that the new format is really, really good!)

In order to help get the word out to those outside of our current members and those reading this board, it would be great if comments about the format, safety, competition etc of the series be posted on the OTA facebook page as well... getting the word out is always appreciated!

With a little luck - the link below should help you find the facebook page...
          http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ont...49941711734182
          Last edited by Todd #65; 06-20-2011, 04:48 PM.
          #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

awesome weekend, thanks to all of you
            sigpic
            Alex. Time-Attack #133 GT-3
            UMBRELLA CONTRACTING

Comment

I am sure that this was the best event I have ever attended. Well organized and run, lots of track time and timed runs and the weather was perfects. Good fun, close competition and many laughs. Thanks to all.
              Gary Wood:
              GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Originally posted by Gwoody27 View Post
                I am sure that this was the best event I have ever attended. Well organized and run, lots of track time and timed runs and the weather was perfects. Good fun, close competition and many laughs. Thanks to all.
                +1.

Best Time attack series in Ontario.
                2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

Great weekend, you can tell everybody got their fill of track time since only one car went out during the end of day lapping session!
                  Thanks to all volunteers, organizers, marshalls and others for a well run event.
                  From all the comments I would say the new format is working beyond all expectations.
                  Really looking forward to MIR in July!!!
                  Perry
                  #25 summer & winter

Comment

Originally posted by ONdriver View Post
                    Great weekend, you can tell everybody got their fill of track time since only one car went out during the end of day lapping session!
                    Katie and I would have been out there, but we're still working through the gremlins. Possibility that it won't be ready in July - I'll be there though - but should be set for August!
                    sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Weather was perfetct ,lots of track time and I even managed a power nap or two between runs. Down side was my performance was less than stellar which was a bit of a bummer seeing how this marked the end of my shortened season this year. Oh well, enjoy the rest of the season and best of luck to all. And remember keep the shiny side up!

Comment

Between my Dad and I we put over 450km on the track this weekend....and that is without lunch or evening lapping.

Comment

Working...
                        X