track tires for my Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track tires for my Mustang

In my first season at this (time attack) I have learned that I need tires better suited to the track! Currently I have 19" OEM Pirellis on my 2010 Mustang GT. Any recommendations on size, make, type would be appreciated. I'd like to stay with street tires.

Kelly OTA #61 GT4
    Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
    OTA Director 2015
    ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Re: track tires for my Mustang

the current favorite is Hankook RS3

also consider Bridgestone RE-11, Toyo R888, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, BFG kdwsports
    set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

hey Kelly, Are you planning on running them just at the track? or on the street as well?
      Andy
      Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

I wouldn't go with the RS3's if they are your daily street tires. After 4 track events and maybe 1000 street km, my front left RS3 is almost down to the wear bars on the outside half. Unless you have camber, I'd recommend against these tires for this car unless you don't mind swapping them back and forth and flipping them on the rims for when you hit the track.
        2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
          hey Kelly, Are you planning on running them just at the track? or on the street as well?
          Andy, I plan to have a separate set of tires on rims just for track use. I'd change at home and drive to the events.

Kelly
          Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
          OTA Director 2015
          ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Odds are the only really good street tires you'll find in your size are either Nitto NT05s or Kumho XSs. Unless your alignment is very hard on tires, you should be able to use these for limited street driving, and at least a full season of Time Attack and lapping days.
            Andy
            Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
              I wouldn't go with the RS3's if they are your daily street tires. After 4 track events and maybe 1000 street km, my front left RS3 is almost down to the wear bars on the outside half. Unless you have camber, I'd recommend against these tires for this car unless you don't mind swapping them back and forth and flipping them on the rims for when you hit the track.
              But you are a madman on the track.

My RS3s are doing just fine (255/17) on my Zed after 5 track days and about 1000km street, however I do have a fair bit of camber for stock. I'm also not scoring 100s every weekend, so maybe I'm doing something wrong :P

That said, if you do plan to daily drive the tires and want them to last more than 4 months, I would suggest a different (slower) tire.

Comment

driving styles will defineltly impact your tire life

Ujjwal don't forget that you toss that mustang hard and your scores represent that

also, as a personal reference, last year with bad camber i had ground my Bridgestone RE-11's down to nothing, the sidewall text was gone and i think the outermost lip was cording.. however i drove them up until it started snowing, and threw them back on in spring up until May when i put on a fresh set for the DDT school.

nearly done street tires still perform relatively well on the street even in the rain, although that opinion could be biased due to my car being AWD and lighter than a mustang

just some things to think about.

however the RE-11 is a very bad tire for slipping on the rim as its not only directional but also asymetrical
                set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
                  Andy, I plan to have a separate set of tires on rims just for track use. I'd change at home and drive to the events.

Kelly
                  The overall winner last year and the leader this year were/are on Hankook RS-3s. The RS-3 is a fast enough tire that some of the CCC think it might need to be reclassified for next year .

Whatever you decide, get the widest tires that fit comfortably on your rims.
                  Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

The Kumho XS seem to work pretty well on at least one Corvette out there this season ..... no names mentioned .
                    OMSC
                    Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                    Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Most of the ~140 UTOG tires out there are pretty comparable, there are a few tests that compare them out there on the interwebs. I think Hankook are a heavy favourite due mostly to their cost (they priced out at 1/2 the price of the same sized toyo)

Comment

All good advice above, widest rim you can put on the front end is 9.5" which is hard to find in 17" diameter so you'll probably end up with 18x9.5 rims. Hankook RS3 comes in 285/35-18 is probably the best bet or Nitto NT05 in 275/40-18. Those are the ones I'm considering for next year at this point in time!
                        Perry
                        #25 summer & winter

Comment

Have been using NT05s on both my prior car (Mustang) and now a Vette.
                          Seems quite a few folks use them on various cars and like them (Stangs,
                          Bimmers, Vettes, etc). The wear well and are very predictable on the track.
                          Having said that, this is the only max summer tire I have experience with.
                          They should last 12+ track days plus some daily driving with no probs.
                          Never experienced any issues like chunking, etc. Just regular wear
                          -mostly on the fronts. Their price is lower than XSs and they are readily availanble:
                          Locally from Bramalea Tire on Airport Rd N of 407. I am sure other shops also
                          Carry them. PS Notwithstanding folks being fast on XSs, I've seen a few folks "lose" it on them (much better drivers than me) and therefore prefer to stay with predictable Nittos, as I can't afford my car to do double duty as a grass mower Yes, not everybody can upgrade Corvettes every season like somebody else I know LOL!!!
                          Hope this helps. Cheers, Bill
                          sigpic
                          Supporting member of several
                          grassroot Clubs

Comment

FWIW, a friend who tracks his 07 Mustang GT (not competitively, he does some instruction) has had great success with 275/40R18 Nitto NT-05 on 9.5" Steeda wheels. I've driven the car more than a few times, good grip and very predictable as mentioned.

An alternate for the wheels would be the 2010 Shelby vert wheel available through Ford Racing Parts. It is also 18 x 9.5" not a lightweight, but a good quality OEM wheel that you're not going to kill on a curbing or something.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12297

cheers
                            Ed N.
                            84 Mustang SVO
                            95 Jaguar XJR

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                              FWIW, a friend who tracks his 07 Mustang GT (not competitively, he does some instruction) has had great success with 275/40R18 Nitto NT-05 on 9.5" Steeda wheels. I've driven the car more than a few times, good grip and very predictable as mentioned.

An alternate for the wheels would be the 2010 Shelby vert wheel available through Ford Racing Parts. It is also 18 x 9.5" not a lightweight, but a good quality OEM wheel that you're not going to kill on a curbing or something.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12297

cheers
                              Ed N.
                              Yes your friend is very fast BTW I used to use GT500 take offs on my Stang with 275/40/18s all around. I believe Joe DaSilva from DaSilva Racing in Pickering should have a set or two available. Cheers, Bill
                              sigpic
                              Supporting member of several
                              grassroot Clubs

Comment

Working...
                              X