Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Event #5 Results

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
    The issue is his "back straight" doesn't end until turn 9....
    I bet for some it doesn't until 5a
    sigpic
    Supporting member of several
    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
      no need AT ALL to inconvinience ANY officials with having to carry binders, or any such trivial duties, especially given their short supply. since by the rules i can ask any competitor for their schedule, simply make them available on line. this is trivial to accomplish, provides full transparenncy, does not create unnecessary, or potential misunderstandings or bad blood and/or goofy moments for folks and most importantly: all this info could than be reviewed while at home sitting in one's PJs (or not!) and downing a beer. how hard it that?
      I the OTA brass decides to go that route and ensure a more secure way to access information, may I suggest that only CCC approved schedules be made public. There are many "development" schedules out there that may be a bit too revealing. I like the "what class will you run in?" forum threads at the beginning of the season. Makes for a bit of mystery and educated guess work as to "who and what car/setup" you will be running against in the coming season.
      CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
      sigpic
      Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Carguy View Post
        I the OTA brass decides to go that route and ensure a more secure way to access information, may I suggest that only CCC approved schedules be made public. There are many "development" schedules out there that may be a bit too revealing. I like the "what class will you run in?" forum threads at the beginning of the season. Makes for a bit of mystery and educated guess work as to "who and what car/setup" you will be running against in the coming season.
        this approach makes perfect sense indeed and I hope that it goes ahead for the benefit of the membership et al.
        sigpic
        grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
          this approach makes perfect sense indeed and I hope that it goes ahead for the benefit of the membership et al.
          we're looking for volunteers to do the leg (or finger work)
          set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
            we're looking for volunteers to do the leg (or finger work)
            Pls PM me regarding specifics and I will be more than happy to consider it. Pls note that every year, I am out of Ontario: Oct to April (inclusive), if that makes a difference. Cheers! Bill
            sigpic
            grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
              What is the problem with doing this?? doesn't everybody?

I for one, brake pretty hard for 8 Maybe THAT is why I am so damm slow.

Back to topic, I think it is working ok for now. In the past 3 yrs people asked me atleast once at every event to peek at my pip schedule and I've asked to look at a few myself. No big deal, most will be happy to share, unless they have something to hide offcourse.
              03 Corvette Z06

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                I for one, brake pretty hard for 8 Maybe THAT is why I am so damm slow.

Back to topic, I think it is working ok for now. In the past 3 yrs people asked me atleast once at every event to peek at my pip schedule and I've asked to look at a few myself. No big deal, most will be happy to share, unless they have something to hide offcourse.
                I am being funny, (big smile and wink).

Thanks Riaan, instead of trying to change access to the data base it is most likely easier to just follow the rules, have your schedule and let whoever want s to see it do so.
                You might find out you are claiming something you don't have to and get a free mod!

OTA is competion BUT it is fun competition. It is nice to win, but winning is not what makes it fun. The real competition is beating your previous run, and makeing yourself better.
                sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

I know Scott No worries.
                  But I saw the ALMS TDI Audi do that with my own eyes 2yrs ago, so I know it can be done!
                  03 Corvette Z06

Comment

Thanks Riaan, instead of trying to change access to the data base it is most likely easier to just follow the rules, have your schedule and let whoever want s to see it do so.
                    You might find out you are claiming something you don't have to and get a free mod!

OTA is competion BUT it is fun competition. It is nice to win, but winning is not what makes it fun. The real competition is beating your previous run, and makeing yourself better.
                    Well, I have very little self interest in the whole "debate" (except for Bilsteins), but a few have chimed in confirming that an annonymous access would likely be better (more transparency is always better) vs status quo. However, it may all be a moot point anyway, as apart from mods that are clearly visible, it would likely be impossible to be really effective in verifying others (internals, gears, etc). Besides we all know NOBODY sidesteps any rules in any of the sports and especially motor sports LOL! So, back to an "on request only" system and having fun, eh? And OTA is bags of fun for sure (as a newbie, I absolutely love it and am trying hard to spread the word: got 2 new guys last event), but as one seasoned competitor suggested, it is "hard core" and evidence of that can be found all over the paddock without looking very hard at all. It just proves, that the fact that there is no financial gain to be had matters not, but human ego and a drive to succeed will always prevail as THE motivators. Just ask any billionaire why they still go to the office every day - LOL!!!
                    Have a great day! Bill (back to moving duties )
                    sigpic
                    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Bill I don't envy you doing moving today.

As far as the level of cars and competition, of course it is high. Riaan and myself are quite likely in the top of the group for being competitive. But cheating to win at this level of sport? For myself absolutly not. I would like to think that everyone in OTA is also playing it straight.

After reading your pip schedule I pointed out what could be a free pip.

I have ridden with many of the competitors and helped them find different lines to improve thier speed, all the while making it possible for them to beat me.

Each of the instructors ride along to help make you smoother, faster and to be ready to compete.

If one of the competitors has a problem others step up to help, some will even loan a car, knowing they may get beat by the other driver in that car!
                      That doesn 't sound like cut throat cheating to me.

Maybe I am idealistic or niave, but this is how I see the OTA series.

I would also add the OTA is the best series I have attended or been a part of for time attack.
                      sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

I agree completely on all counts, having experienced - first hand - help of the likes of Pete, Chris, Riaan (he made me improve 2 seconds!!!), Derrick, Frank, just to name a few. Lastly, when I blew a valve spring just before the last comp, Pete offerred me his brand new ride so I could score points... Now, it doesn't get any better, or bigger than that (I declined of course given the circumstances and the track)!!! But the field is very competitive and folks try very, very hard.
                        I have not said, or suggested that anyone is cheating. But human nature hasn't changedd much in 1000s of years and given a chance folks may drive to succeed -- at times crossing the line -- hey it happens to the best of us! Hence, checks and balances are good. And hence the highest level of transparency is good, weather you're running a multi billion $ corporation, or grassroot, volunteer type organization. If anything, the latter should benefit from it even more and certainly be easier to implement at. And that would be consistent with everybody saying it is all about a driver, not their car (which i totally agree with of course). Anyhow, enough "newbie hypothetical philosophy" from me on this. I am sure the governing body will do what is right. Cheers! Bill (back to moving again....yep! It is HOT!!!)
                        sigpic
                        grassroot Clubs

Comment

I just thought i'd post in here, I'm Victor the one with the Maroon Cobalt.

This was my first time out with you guys, And i wanna say i didn't find it to hardcore or to competitive or anything like that, I thought the organizer did a great job getting all the info we needed to us in the limited time we had between track sessions, and everyone was more then helpfull with all my questions about PIP's, and what to spend them on etc.. I forget who but someone informed me that i didn't need to take pips for some things that i did etc.. etc...

The instruction in the school session was great, I learned more out on the track with Riaan in one day, then everything i learned before i think.

And I was also impressed with everyones behaviour on the track, I've gone to quite a few open lapping sessions in other places, and i'm always looking out for that 1 guy who thinks he's Schumacher or something and wants to outbreak you into a corner, The fact that i didn't have to worry about that or any behaviour like that was really good, and let me focus on learning the track.

So that's my 2 cents on it, And i'll be makeing to every event i can from now on, and look forward to it all. Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

Me too used to think that I am Schumacher some 3 years ago...
                            It is different now though...
                            Alex
                            -Alex M / Alexei M.
                            119 / 19.
                            sigpic

Comment

The real Schumacher hasn't been doing that well lately!
                              But he's still pretty darn good for an old guy!
                              #25 summer & winter

Comment

Every competitor is supposed to bring a printed copy of their PIP schedule and have it available throughout the day. Why don't we make it so that the hardcopies are handed into a central place where folks can go and look at them throughout the day? ie. the location of the drivers meeting or where results are posted, or where they won't blow away! :-)

This seems to address concerns about not wanting to 'insult someone' just because you are interested in what they're running (not want to ask to see it) and also addresses privacy concerns since the information is only available to those who attend the event.

Seems like a slam dunk to me - what am I missing?
                                #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

Working...
                                X