Event #5 Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Event #5 Results

Adam, from what we hear, our series is considered too "hard core" for beginers. Therefore we have made lots of changes to the series including increasing lapping time and making instructors available for all newbies at all times during lapping.

Some guys really don't have a competitive bone in their bodies and like just driving around lapping all day while others complain if they can't win first time out, they won't come back.....( a bit TOO competitive maybe?)

In years gone by Solo 1 or SoloSprint were the only shows in town. Now there is more competition for the dabblers i.e ATTS, CSCS or Sigma. You are correct that the total number of persons entering time-attack is fewer than in the past but what has been dropped are usually the people who only run 1 or 2 events. None of these other series offer the instruction or competition that the Mobil 1 Time-Attack series does but it takes time to change people's minds and make the positive changes to the series public knowledge. You might like to come out and have a look-see.

Having been at this for more years than I would like to admit, I can safely say that the series is better than it has ever been. Sorry you don't want to play, you usually did quite well as I remember. Not a lot of sledding in the summer.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Adam is so baller he makes his own snow
      set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

He just want his wing back ... just let him have it already .

On another note, as a beginner (which still has yet to start competing in OTA), I have never considered Time-Attack / Solo 1 series "too hardcore for beginners".
        I think new people are going for other series maybe because of costs, rules and a different type of crowd. Is more appealing to them. Not everyone out there is in to become "the best". Most out there are in for the fun and "looking cool" factor.
        Some might even get intimidated by all the good drivers and their cars.

Don't get me wrong, I am a strong supporter for the OTA and I love the safety and the people that are participating in the series.

Comment

mrNewt, you are correct that looking cool is not really a Time-Attck thing. Personally I drive a 9 year old dinosaur that was designed in the 80s, has no bling whatsoever and get's washed a few times a year. Car wax?? What's that??

Real costs seem very similar in all the series.

OTOH, being the "best" likely needs to be changed to being a "better" driver. Really your best competition is your previous time. You will never get this sort of measure with the other series due to their dearth of timed laps, lack of instruction or use of an appropriate classification system.And no, using a GPS timing device on a lapping day doesn't give you anywhere near the feedback that Time-Attack does. BTW Solo 1 started what we refer to as the "linear" car classification system which is so good that the NASA guys in the USA ( the car race guys, not the rocket guys) used it as the basis for their Time Trial series, with minimal modifications.

So, I guess the real issue, is do you want to show off your neat stereo to a girl in a bikini, or learn to drive faster? This decision is obviously what "drives" some people's choice as to which series to run.
          Last edited by Dave Barker; 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM.
          Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
            This lack of needing a brake pedal seems like a tremendously unfair advantage to me
            Lloyd, you're cracking me up! T8 at 225km/h anyone??? (no braking and on street tires of course).
            sigpic
            Supporting member of several
            grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
              ideally, each event should have at least 1 full time CCC member with a binder full of pip schedules.

unfortunately most of the CCC members haven't been present this year, and if they have, were doing other things (Dave clerking and myself doing registration)
              no need AT ALL to inconvinience ANY officials with having to carry binders, or any such trivial duties, especially given their short supply. since by the rules i can ask any competitor for their schedule, simply make them available on line. this is trivial to accomplish, provides full transparenncy, does not create unnecessary, or potential misunderstandings or bad blood and/or goofy moments for folks and most importantly: all this info could than be reviewed while at home sitting in one's PJs (or not!) and downing a beer. how hard it that?
              sigpic
              grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
                Lloyd, you're cracking me up! T8 at 225km/h anyone??? (no braking and on street tires of course).
                225? Keep going!! (..... this coming from the guy who's backing off a mile before T8 ).

... simply make them available on line. this is trivial to accomplish, provides full transparenncy, does not create unnecessary, or potential misunderstandings or bad blood and/or goofy moments for folks and most importantly: all this info could than be reviewed while at home sitting in one's PJs (or not!) and downing a beer. how hard it that?
                Agreed!

One of the things that MANY people ask, and wonder, is "who or what else is in my class? ". The only person with that info prior to any event is the Registrar . If all of the approved PIP schedules were available for all to see (which "they are", all you have to do is "ask"), then people could more readily see who/what they are up against and plan their car/class/season accordingly. Simple.

That being said, if nothing changes, my feelings won't be hurt either, but it's something that I've heard discussed before, and I think there's merit to it.
                OMSC
                Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Anyone think of the security issues of having pip schedules freely available online? It's like making a database of sweet cars and their owners for thieves.
                  Andy
                  Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

^^

our current security measures are non existent, by having a database of everyone's mods we are giving insurance companies and thieves an open door to snoop around without your consent.

same goes for listing peoples names, as i have been scolded for in the past when posting information here.

it's sad that we have to think of such consequences, but they are real and we have to be aware and plan for them.
                    set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Transparency of PIP schedules is an excellent idea. Wonder if we could have a 'series registered only' listing with a password known only to those registered?
                      Gary Wood:
                      GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
                        ^^

our current security measures are non existent, by having a database of everyone's mods we are giving insurance companies and thieves an open door to snoop around without your consent.

same goes for listing peoples names, as i have been scolded for in the past when posting information here.

it's sad that we have to think of such consequences, but they are real and we have to be aware and plan for them.
                        this is a real dilemma that should be addressed, but would represent no change from status quo today, as everybody's names, car classes and car names are posted publicly and openly on this forum under "results" and then again on the Time Attack website proper with no passowrds required whatsoever. i wasnt suggesting that CCC data base be opened to the public, but rather just to its existing users under passwords. i also think thieves are better served stealing vehicles from driveways in Rosedale, or Forest Hill. Easier too, as they know where these places are located and likely more profitable than getting a 9 year old Vette, or 20 year old Nissan. And every self respecting thief knows, that a modded car is worth much less than stock Bottom line, a bone fide concern, but nothing different from what we practice today.
                        sigpic
                        grassroot Clubs

Comment

What is the problem with doing this?? doesn't everybody?
                          sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
                            What is the problem with doing this?? doesn't everybody?
                            only the cars that can get up to this speed on the back straight
                            sigpic
                            grassroot Clubs

Comment

Zing!!
                              OMSC
                              Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                              Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

The issue is his "back straight" doesn't end until turn 9....
                                03 Z06 #72
                                15 Prius V

Comment

Working...
                                X