Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake Swap

Hello all,

My name is Karl, I'm not new to the series as I have been coming to the track with Riaan for a few years. I am in process of building a car for the track hopefully or the 2012 season. I have a rear disc brake swap question for the Honda nuts!

I have a 92 CX HB with OEM rear drums. I have the opportunity to purchase a complete 4x114.3 DC2 ITR swap(arms, hubs, calipers, etc). The DC2 parts are a no modification direct bolt on to my EG chassis, that part I understand but what confuses me is through my Internet research I'm getting two completely different answers regarding the Master Cylinder and Prop valve. One says nope don't need it and the other says yes absolutely you need 4wheel disc master and valve. And some say even the booster too. Can anyone shed some conclusive answers on this. I want what will keep me safe on the track and not some opinion from a "Tuner" who's never turned a lap aside from the Interstate!

Thank you!

Cheers,
    Karl

Re: Disc Brake Swap

P.S.

Here's a photo of the car. I picked up for next to nothing. It needs a bit of body work but mechanically it's sound. Cant wait for DDT school in the spring!

Comment

Karl, not Honda specific. rear disc swap ususally need a different master or valve swap.

I would suggest getting the master from the swap car as well.
      sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

You should upgrade the master and prop valve, as these will affect the feel of the brakes (ie. make it what it should feel like). You need a 40/40 prop valve and at least the 15/16" master cylinder and booster (because the 15/16" MC might not bolt on to your current booster). Ideally you want to get the 94-01 Integra non-ABS master, since the hardlines match the chassis.
        Bryan.

Comment

Karl,
          Keep in mind the 4x114.3 bolt pattern is a bit more difficult to find wheels for (compared to the 4x100 or 5x114.3)
          #168 GT1-R :)
          movin' up in the world

Comment

Would there not be options available as the 4 lug accords and preludes are a 114.3 pattern?

I have a prop valve and master from a delsol si with 4w disc, would these be suitable as I already have them at my shop. I will probably have to bend new lines to fit but that I can manage no problem.

Karl

Comment

the del sol would still be too small as it would be a 13/16...ideally an itr master/booster and prop valve will get you the best setup and the best pedal feel
              sigpic

Comment

the 240 wheels are also 114.3 x 4 so wheels can be found
                sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

The easier way to do it would be brakes off of any 94 to 01 base model integra...stay 4x100 and then you're able to buy some badass 949 racing wheels!
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi Karl.

I may not have as much experience as some of the others on this forum but I've researched many performance upgrade option for my Civic.

You will need to get both the proportioning valve (i.e. '99-'00 Civic SiR) and a larger master cylinder (i.e. Integra Type R).

Many 4x100 are also made to fit 4x114 (second set of holes).

Here are some links you might find helpful:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...rsion-how.html

http://www.ek9.org/forum/brakes/7864...de-thread.html

There is also this option available on ebay to help make a swap easier:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-Civic-C...#ht_2496wt_932

You'll find a lot of information on many forums such as www.d-series.org, www.torontocivics.com, www.jdmrides.ca, www.honda-tech.com.

Good luck with your build!

Comment

Thanks all for the tips and info this far. I will say it's safe to say if I get ITR hubs then I need any DC2 master to make it work properly. If I use the Delsol master then I need to find rear arms and hubs from either an EG SI hatch or a Delsol correct? If I go ITR option will the B Series splines in the hubs accept my D series axles or will I have to get different axles?

Does anyone know where I could get civic or Delsol rear arms to utilize the 13/16 master I already have?

Cheers,
                      Karl

Comment

^ As in the rear disks? Any 90-01 Integra, 92-93 Civic Si, or 99-00 Civic SiR will work. The prop valve is advised when you convert to a rear disc set-up. The MC is upgraded when you use different sized calipers (going from stock EG Civic to Integra, for example).

As I said before, you want at least a 15/16" MC (preferably with the booster) and the 40/40 non ABS prop valve, preferably from the EG Civic. The reason I say the latter is due to where the hard lines are. Other prop valves, like the ITR, are completely different.

If you want my opinion, the only thing the 4x114.3 conversion gets you is hard to find rotors, brake pads, and wheels. There is no performance benefit that this conversion will get you over the 4x100 - read, it's the same sized brakes. As KLZEMX6 said, you're better of with the 4x100 as the parts are much easier to get.
                        Bryan.

Comment

Thanks again all for all the help. I will try and find EG civic or Delsol parts first so I don't have to upgrade my master and keep it 4x100 PCD. And a non Abs prop valve. What is the difference between the abs prop and the non abs prop? Is only abs on the rear that would make the prop valve different would the front brakes not matter in that equation?

Karl
                          Last edited by Vtec4life; 09-12-2011, 07:25 AM. Reason: Missing info

Comment

Hi Karl,
                            Have you considered just leaving the drums on the rear? The drum combo is much lighter than the discs. Brakes are a little more difficult to change with drums, but rears last a lot longer than fronts, so there is little changing anyway. In fact, Krispys four time Overall Championship winning CRX still has drums and four bolts.

JohnP

Comment

John,

The original plan was just to leave the stock setup on the car and go with that. I thought about changing to disc to give a little more stability in braking etc but clearly winning is possible and cheaper with the drums. And the change would have been for cosmetic purposes too. I can always get the drums powder coated to make them look nice.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X