2011 - just wasn't our year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 - just wasn't our year

What a way to end off the season. Broken timing. Broken rocker. At least it didn't damage the cam. But the NX is down for the season. We've had one thing after the other this year. We knew it would be a season of sorting things out, it just will be a bit more sorting.
    sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Re: 2011 - just wasn't our year

Sorry to hear about your troubles Frank. I know how fast you were going at the Fabi straight when it was working. Keep that up and the Nissan will be a real contender.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

I'm sad it didn't work out as planned Frank. I was really looking forward to seeing some blistering fast times this year.

P.S. It was nice meeting you yesterday Dave
      sigpic

Comment

Your troubles didn't go unnoticed. Many of us have experienced a small token of what you and Katie went through this season (I'm thinking Martin for some reason). I am sure that all the "usual suspects" at OTA have a great deal of respect for your perseverance and tenacity as well as your good humor at every event. See you next season.
        CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
        sigpic
        Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Don't give up yet, the Nissan will be awesome once all the gremlins are banished. I was amazed how you pulled away from me up the back straight at Mosport. There's some great power-to-weight happening there!
          #25 summer & winter

Comment

Frank, you are one dedicated Nissan fan. Nobody is more determined to make it work. Hang in there.
            Gary Wood:
            GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Thanks for all of the support - Katie and I appreciate it immensely. We have a community that truly supports each other. This is going on to year twenty that I've owned my NX - it will definitely be back. I'm concerned that it might be SGT3, catching Corvettes is a lot of fun and addictive!

Huge thanks to the partners involved in our grassroots project - Can-Alignment, Kitchener Nissan, and Dave Schlueter are three partners very committed to our NX. We wouldn't have gotten this far without them!
              sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Sucks that the car worked so reliably while still stock, and now that you've invested a lot of time and money, it's letting you down . When you added the supercharger, did you have the whole motor out and freshened up, or did you just bolt the s/c on and go? Just curious if maybe the ~20-year-old parts are a little "fatigued" and not really happy about being asked to work twice as hard as they used to?

Well, it sounds like you've got quite the weapon there, as long as you can get it running and keep it running, so hopefully you can get all the bugs ironed out for next season .

Reminds me of that "race" Camaro I had (the maroon car) ... it was nothing but problem after problem, although I did eventually get it well sorted ... just in time to sell the car .
                OMSC
                Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Originally posted by nissannx View Post
                  What a way to end off the season. Broken timing. Broken rocker. At least it didn't damage the cam. But the NX is down for the season. We've had one thing after the other this year. We knew it would be a season of sorting things out, it just will be a bit more sorting.
                  I've definitely been there - had almost 3 years of continuous development, but now I've had a couple seasons of doing basically nothing to the car, and the car is of course much faster, so the payoff is there if you persevere. It helps a lot if you enjoy developing stuff though!
                  Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
                    Sucks that the car worked so reliably while still stock, and now that you've invested a lot of time and money, it's letting you down . When you added the supercharger, did you have the whole motor out and freshened up, or did you just bolt the s/c on and go? Just curious if maybe the ~20-year-old parts are a little "fatigued" and not really happy about being asked to work twice as hard as they used to?

Well, it sounds like you've got quite the weapon there, as long as you can get it running and keep it running, so hopefully you can get all the bugs ironed out for next season .

Reminds me of that "race" Camaro I had (the maroon car) ... it was nothing but problem after problem, although I did eventually get it well sorted ... just in time to sell the car .
                    Pete it is actually a complete swap. the motor package is a SR20det.

The only modification was switching from a side mount intercooler to a front mount

Most people doing the swap are not track regulars. It will be sorted for next season and out chasing the Vettes.

How is your car? will you have it back for any use before it needs to go away for the season?
                    sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

I feel your pain, I have not been able to get out atleast once this year! I did a 16V swap(ITB)/Megasquirt and I have not been able to get it running right or at times, at all. I am so dissapointed and depressed, I have stayed away from all things to do with motorsports so I am not reminded of what I have missed out on. BUT, like you, I will get it sorted before next season!!

Although I do not know you personally, hope to see you next season, and best of luck!
                      Corey Whiteman

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
                        Pete it is actually a complete swap. the motor package is a SR20det.
                        So it's not an "old parts" issue ... it's a "growing pains" issue?

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
                        How is your car? will you have it back for any use before it needs to go away for the season?
                        Being "looked into" as we speak .
                        OMSC
                        Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                        Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Originally posted by nissannx View Post
                          This is going on to year twenty that I've owned my NX - it will definitely be back. I'm concerned that it might be SGT3, catching Corvettes is a lot of fun and addictive!

I know what you are saying ... it's FUN! I never expected for my car to be "right there" mixing in up front throughout this season.

It is too bad to see you had this much trouble this year, I hope for both of you that this will get better. I would have given up a long time before.

I like to drive the car off the trailer, race ... change tires ... race ... fill gas ... race
                          and I have been racing my old clonker for 10 years now. I should not jincks my luck, but I have not opened that motor since I had the car ... who knows what's in there ... certainly no hamsters on steroids

I hope to see you out there again next year with a new, well-oiled machine and in SGT3, so I can chase you too, because I will drop a class for next year.
                          Klaus
                          BMW 325es
                          Solosprint SGT2, #192
                          Solo 2 D/Mod, # 192

The older I get, the faster I am ...

Comment

Frank,
                            I can truly feel for you. Our car with the GTIR swap has been pretty bulletproof. The issues start when you install your remote oil cooler and filter lines backwards and snuff the entire engine. DOH! Our 19year old replacement is working like a charm. Put in some ARP head studs, a Cometic metal head gasket though. Then the trans went. Replaced it with one I had here that has 390,000kms on it. Works like a dream. If you ever want to come by the shop and see if we can assist with some pointers, tips and help as to make yours reliable as ours, I'd be more than willing to help a fellow Nissan racer.
                            Perry Iannuzzi
                            Past President
                            Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs -Ontario Region

Comment

Just remember how many problems I had in 09 and look what 10 brought me. You and Katie will be taking a 1 and 2 finish next year.
                              Paul M
                              Chief Timer
                              2010 Solosprint Champion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X