• Show
Clear All

• SMP sept 11 2011 video

Just a quick video of the troubles our RSX driver had. See link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkPRigm6l8
    Gary Wood:
    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Re: SMP sept 11 2011 video

When I click the link it says the video is private what happened to this machine?
    sigpic

Comment

What happened there? Brake failure?
      www.nummelinmotorsportgroup.com
      sigpic

Comment

See the captioning on the bottom of the video - the ripples in the track, combined with a stiffened front suspension, under braking caused the ABS to kick in, which didn't bleed off enough speed to allow him to take the corner. As it says 'bumpier than you expect', both in that braking zone, and in the grass once you miss the turn.

Comment

Becomes a "common occurrence" in a Camaro . The ol' live axle and poorly biased brakes don't take to that braking zone very well at all ... the rear wheels ALWAYS lock up, and force ABS into action. Makes for a real handful. However, it becomes "expected", so it's less of a surprise than it was there for Michael in the RSX! Nice save though .
          OMSC
          Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
          Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

It's also tricky without ABS. I locked up several times in that corner. I felt it was bumpier than the June SMP PRO event as my helmet hit the roof a few times also. Time to have my shocks rebuilt.
            CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
            sigpic
            Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Once my tires are pretty well done and have lost all that grip, this is my favorite spot to set off a smoke show, usually locking up the right front. On my 3rd run it was enough to finally cord that tire.

I came down that particular strectch just after that happened to Michael and came flying through the S-turn just to see about 4 cars lined up and stopped before that corner, NO FLAGS!!! ... what a surprise ...
              Klaus
              BMW 325es
              Solosprint SGT2, #192
              Solo 2 D/Mod, # 192

The older I get, … the faster I am ...

Comment

I was in that mix of stopped cars....and for the second time of the weekend could see cars coming up behind me at race speed while I was stopped on track. In this situation the marshall had removed to red flag...not sure if it was just a "local" red with no instruction from the clerk but we should be looking at these situations and learn for the future. What I learned from Saturday is always pay attention and stop offline for red flags!!

Comment

You guys doing rallycross now? Pugsy and I are IN!

<=- 2002 Subaru TS owner who pulled his ABS fuse the day he bought it because every stop sign in winter goes just like this.
                  sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                  OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Originally posted by vandepeer View Post
                    I was in that mix of stopped cars....and for the second time of the weekend could see cars coming up behind me at race speed while I was stopped on track. In this situation the marshall had removed to red flag...not sure if it was just a "local" red with no instruction from the clerk but we should be looking at these situations and learn for the future. What I learned from Saturday is always pay attention and stop offline for red flags!!

The marshall station before that (Pit-out of Fabi) had no flags out, if I would have missed that, I am sure someone would have given me a good talk in the pitlane. This was perhabs mis-communication between marshalls. The incidents on saturday was drivers not reacting to a red flag ... or two ...
                    Klaus
                    BMW 325es
                    Solosprint SGT2, #192
                    Solo 2 D/Mod, # 192

The older I get, … the faster I am ...

Comment

Working...
                    X