Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got some noobie questions!

Originally posted by EK_GUY View Post
    Hello everyone, new to the forum and currently in the process of making my first track car! I would like to start off next season in some entry level stuff. I'm quickly finding out that it's not just get a race car and go race, lol! So, here's what I got: 99' civic sedan with ls vtec, intake, 2.5" exhaust, fender braces, b-pillar brace, no interior, skunk2 suspension with tenzo rims. This is as far as I am at moment.

I would appreciate any help getting into this world with info like, what class would I fall in? How do I get started? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance!!
    Hi EK_GUY

Since OTA is trying to get new members, I am sure Serg (thgear) will help you in every possible way before the season starts. How about a link to the site for classing your car?
    Partly by telling you the most common mods that don’t make a car go faster but just bump you up classes.
    If you have a B motor you definitely want to go with the dyno option .
    You are probably making less HP then you think
    Try and leave the stock exhaust on if possible and cat, they just add pips and on your car may not gain HP on the Dyno. Usually loose Torque when you go to a bigger dia. exhaust.
    You key GO FAST parts are shocks, spring and alignment. Without these your Hp dose not really matter.
    You will find it’s all about how fast you can take corners that will give you good lap times.
    Mospot MIR that’s a different animal, real long strait needs Hp

So if you’re doing this to be very competitive try and keep the pips down and stay in the lowest class you can.
    Or like I did years ago, I modded my car cause I was into it and let the pips and class fall where ever.
    Have fun and just try and improve your times and learn the tracks the first year.

i have a 99 Si with integra R shock and springs plus sway bars. everthing else stock at Mosport MIR with R tires can keep up with lot of cars on the corners.
    1987 DECH MUSTANG
    1999 SI Civic
    BMW Trillium Club
    Birel Rotax Supplier

Greg

Comment

No doubt Serge will send you all the details, but you can go here at anytime:

http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/ccdb/default.aspx

create an account and class you car by following some very simple "questionnaire" type input. It is great to see what effect given mods may have on your class placement, etc. Once done, the system calcs your PI (performance index) level and hence your class. You can also see if your car is optimized for a given class (ie at its top), etc. Lots of felxibility and info to play with...

You can also go to www.time-attack.ca, pick Time Attack tab on the left and access our Rules. Although this is a very comprehensive doc (quite long as it covers all the rules), it is actually kinda fun to read (get a beer first!). It explains fully what classes we run, how PIPs work, how you get PIPs deducted for running street tires vs R-comps, safety, etc etc.

Lastly, do NOT worry about the expected times for your class. You could start driving your car 10 seconds off the pace, yet with practice, eliminate this with as you gain skill. We have a super format at our events, providing for PLENTY of seat time, including instructors, just for this purpose. Bottom line: some come to win, most come to improve as drivers...but all come to have fun and thats guaranteed! Cheers, Bill
      sigpic
      Supporting member of several
      grassroot Clubs

Comment

Tire choice makes a big difference in which class you end up in.

Frankly for your first year, I wouldn't worry a lot about which class you are in but about getting the most track/instruction/lapping time you can. (OTA is very good for that).

Don't try to make the "ultimate" car and then find out it is unreliable.

As has been said previously, it is easier to learn to go fast in a slow car.
        Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

This is all very true! I'm not really concerned bout which class I fall in! I enjoy working on my car and not really expecting very much for my first season other than to learn everything I can from the veterans! I'm not a big competetor, more in it for the fun! I'm def gonna check out that link!
          Will work for car parts!!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

So, I made an account on the ota site to class my car and I'm already stumped, damn noobs lol. I have a 99 civic ex sedan which is not on the drop down list and secondly I have the b series motor, how would I log that?

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

I would pick the closest Civic there is for now, do the "engine swap" option, punch in the base HP of the non-VTEC B block, and then take engine pips for the stuff you've messed with (maybe ECU, and a OE-type cylinder head swap)

That's not official or anything, but should get you started.

Since you did an engine swap you can also submit a curb weight instead of worring about body pips.
              03 Z06 #72
              15 Prius V

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
                I would pick the closest Civic there is for now, do the "engine swap" option, punch in the base HP of the non-VTEC B block, and then take engine pips for the stuff you've messed with (maybe ECU, and a OE-type cylinder head swap)

That's not official or anything, but should get you started.

Since you did an engine swap you can also submit a curb weight instead of worring about body pips.
                Thanks! I just went through all the pip lingo! I think I'm gonna need some help with that lol! I'll keep playing with it for now!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Hey guys, I was wondering what I should do with the fuel in my car while it's stored for winter! There's probably almost half a tank in it at the moment. Should I drain it out? Or put some fuel stabilizer in it?
                  Thanks
                  Mark

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Stailbizer, and fill it up, a full tank won't condensate.
                    sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
                      Stailbizer, and fill it up, a full tank won't condensate.
                      Makes sense, very good thank you!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Ok, on to the next question! I think maybe Ishould change my username to question_guy, lol

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can bring my cyl head to be decked and hotwashed? Close to Bowmanville preferred but not necessity!

Thanks

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Ok, on to the next question! I think maybe Ishould change my username to question_guy, lol

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can bring my cyl head to be decked and hotwashed? Close to Bowmanville preferred but not necessity!

Thanks
                          Two shops that i know close to Bowmanville are:
                          1) Powell Race Shop in Port Perry ("my shop") - Devon is the owner
                          2) Gateway Racing right at Mosport - Rob is the shop chief there
                          Both largely specialize in Vettes, but both are very reputable, so might be worthy of giving them a call. Perhaps they might know of other shops in the area. Cheers, Bill
                          sigpic
                          grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
                            Two shops that i know close to Bowmanville are:
                            1) Powell Race Shop in Port Perry ("my shop") - Devon is the owner
                            2) Gateway Racing right at Mosport - Rob is the shop chief there
                            Both largely specialize in Vettes, but both are very reputable, so might be worthy of giving them a call. Perhaps they might know of other shops in the area. Cheers, Bill
                            Thanks, is there a contact # for your shop?

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Thanks, is there a contact # for your shop?
                              yep pls call Powell Racing at 905 985 1600 - Kerrie, his office manager will likely answer, so just ask for Devon (the owner). Cheers, Bill
                              sigpic
                              grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
                                yep pls call Powell Racing at 905 985 1600 - Kerrie, his office manager will likely answer, so just ask for Devon (the owner). Cheers, Bill
                                Thanks Bill, I will call this week! I have it sitting at a shop right now but the guy is slacking! Been sitting there for almost a month and not done! I'm just gonna grab it!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Working...
                                X