Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got some noobie questions!

Originally posted by EK_GUY View Post
    Thanks Bill, I will call this week! I have it sitting at a shop right now but the guy is slacking! Been sitting there for almost a month and not done! I'm just gonna grab it!
    Good luck with it!
    sigpic
    Supporting member of several
    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Thanks Bill!
      Will work for car parts!!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Another good place for engine machine work is Brad Steffen's in Oshawa:

Steffen Engine Machine Co Ltd
        Phone : (905) 728-8916
        Address : 72 Richmond St W, Oshawa

He can machine anything from a 2-stroke sled engine to a big-rig diesel, and everything in between . Great guy to deal with, and very reasonable for price.
        OMSC
        Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
        Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Pete, does he bore cylinders as well?
          How is the quality and accuracy of his work?
          I need to bore my STI over winter, can't afford to spend 4 liters of oil per race day anymore...
          -Alex M / Alexei M.
          119 / 19.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sti_schumacher View Post
            Pete, does he bore cylinders as well?
            How is the quality and accuracy of his work?
            I need to bore my STI over winter, can't afford to spend 4 liters of oil per race day anymore...
            Yep, all types of machining ... decking/planing block and heads, cylinder boring, align honing cam/crank bores, etc. For anything more "specific" (ie: intricate head work, etc.) you'd have to phone and ask.

He's been around for a long time (my Dad has been dealing with him for years and years) so I trust that his work is all top-notch .
            OMSC

Comment

Thank you Pete!
              -Alex M / Alexei M.
              119 / 19.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! I've given the guy who has it now one more week to complete job, if not I'll be picking it up to go elsewhere!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Hey guys, I did a leak test on my head and found some minor leaking from some of the valves. Is it necessary to replace with new valves? Or would removing them and lapping them be a possibility? Valve seals will be replaced irregardless.
                  Thanks

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

There is more to it than just lapping. whithout seeing it is impossible to advise.

The stem hieght will come into play and also stem to retainer seat distance.

If you are going to do this yourself, find a helper who knows this stuff.
                    sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
                      There is more to it than just lapping. whithout seeing it is impossible to advise.

The stem hieght will come into play and also stem to retainer seat distance.

If you are going to do this yourself, find a helper who knows this stuff.
                      Really, crap! I've watched numerous videos and thought I might be able to attempt this myself. I would like to just drop it off somewhere but just got laid off recently so, on a temporary setback! Please excuse my ignorance but what does the stem height have to do with the seating of the valve? Is it because when lapped it changes the height of the stem slightly?

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Mark,

yes one effects the other. as you lap the valves into the seats the stem moves closer to the cam/rockers.

Get a service manual and see from there if you want to continue.
                        all the measurements will be to 0.001" so you need a micrometer and vernier as well.

Professionals make it look easy because it is thier career. To do this yourself take lots of time, research it and understand it before you start.
                        sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
                          Mark,

yes one effects the other. as you lap the valves into the seats the stem moves closer to the cam/rockers.

Get a service manual and see from there if you want to continue.
                          all the measurements will be to 0.001" so you need a micrometer and vernier as well.

Professionals make it look easy because it is thier career. To do this yourself take lots of time, research it and understand it before you start.
                          Yup, its all about the research! Looks like I have some more to do! lol I guess I should probably find out how much a shop would charge first, might not be as bad as I think.

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

I just spoke with the guys at steffan machine shop and I think I'm gonna pop the head by there for them to check out! Apparently a complete overhaul is only around $200-$250! Not bad!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Depending how badly they're off, I'd probably cowboy it and try lapping them first, but if it's only a couple hundred for a PROPER service, well ....... time is money too .
                              OMSC

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
                                Depending how badly they're off, I'd probably cowboy it and try lapping them first, but if it's only a couple hundred for a PROPER service, well ....... time is money too .
                                To be quite honest I am seriously considering it! If they were leaking profusely I wouldnt even consider it but, leaks are so minor that my thought is that it would only take a few turns to correct. It's fairly dirty in there also, maybe some gunk just built up in seats. I might just try a couple to see how it goes. If it doesnt feel right then maybe bring it in. Decisions decisions lol

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Working...
                                X