Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: seat and five point harness

Originally posted by Doug Phillips View Post
    Where does it say a roll bar is required with a five point? The quoted section above says nothing.
    Hmmmmmm ... you're right. Perhaps this was removed? I'm SURE it was there in the past. Can the CCC comment please?
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman View Post
      but do you not need some type of roll over protectio if you are running any more then an oe 3 point. as if you put it on its lid and the roof collapses you can not duck to prevent a broken neck? i am about a year behind in reading the rule book but that is why i installed a roll bar. so i would be aloud to use my harness.
      It appears that you can indeed run a 4 point harness without any roll over protection. At least this is what i understand according to the rules - which, imo, could be written in a much more clear fashion, hence avoiding all the questions in several of these threads - including my own . By "more clear", i mean:
      1) inclusion of specific roll over protection requirements for EACH harness type and then ditto, but in reverse, meaning:
      2) inclusion of specific harness requirements for EACH roll over protection.
      This would eliminate ANY confusion as to what is required in each instances, or combinations of same.
      This would also elimiante any potential issues as to unqualified folks, giving (possibly) incorrect suggestions/advice on threads such as these. Just a suggestion...
      sigpic
      Supporting member of several
      grassroot Clubs

Comment

Where does it say a roll bar is required with a five point? The quoted section above says nothing.
        Yes and no:

3 Applicable to vehicles with three-point and four-point aftermarket harnesses:
        i) Three-point and four-point harnesses shall not be used in a vehicle with a
        roll cage
        The text in bold implies that a 5-point harness and roll bar go hand-in-hand .

EDIT:

After further reading, it seems the section on "ROLL OVER PROTECTION" needs to be updated to mention belt/harness requirements :

1.3 ROLL OVER PROTECTION – ROLL BARS AND CAGES
        .1 A roll bar is required for:
        i) vehicles with fold down or completely removable tops (e.g., convertibles)
        ii) vehicles that have accumulated 25 PIPs or more from their starting PI,
        excluding aero and tire PIPs.
        iii) vehicles using non-DOT approved racing slicks (see 4.8.2.4)
        iv) vehicles with a Performance Index (PI) of 105% or greater
        v) 'Unlimited' class vehicles
        Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM.
        OMSC
        Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
        Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

simplified:

stock car= stock belts

rollover bar= stock belts, 4 pt, 5 pt or 6 pts

roll cage= 5pt or 6 pts

You can use a race seat in a stock car with the stock belts

4 pt belts can apparently be used if you jump through enough hoops, I would personally not reccomend thier use myself. That is my opinion
          sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Well, that was simple! Lol! I think I'll just stick with the stock belts on the race seats for now! It's too bad cuz I gave all my stock interior away! Figures lol
            Will work for car parts!!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
              simplified:

stock car= stock belts

rollover bar= stock belts, 4 pt, 5 pt or 6 pts

roll cage= 5pt or 6 pts

You can use a race seat in a stock car with the stock belts

4 pt belts can apparently be used if you jump through enough hoops, I would personally not reccomend thier use myself. That is my opinion
              Great summary Scott - thanks! Now could we get this verbatim into the rule book? It would save a lot of folks having to become an investigative detective
              sigpic
              Supporting member of several
              grassroot Clubs

Comment

Thought so, just surprised no one has mentioned it to the guy.
                That guy has a full cage from csc racing to go with his 5 point harness.Just need another net as his is a little rough.

Comment

Originally posted by mopar1 View Post
                  That guy has a full cage from csc racing to go with his 5 point harness.Just need another net as his is a little rough.
                  Actually he wasn't talkin about the original poster, he was talking about me! I posted a question also! Lol
                  Will work for car parts!!

LSVTEC- EK

Comment

Working...
                  X