Topics for discussion at OTA open meeting Nov 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topics for discussion at OTA open meeting Nov 12

Meeting is at 1 PM at the Sheraton Parkway (same place as the banquet) to discuss possible changes to Ontario Time-Attack for 2012 and beyond.

All competitors and potential competitors are welcome.

Discussion MAY include :

1) Institution of white flag during competition (as opposed to yellow flag) to indicate that a driver is too close to the car in front

2) The future and degree of negative PIPs for street tires and/or regular R comps

3) The continuation or elimination of BT Pax

4) Higher HP cars in touring classes

5) Potential changes in the handling indices of certain cars.

6) Changing class structure. We have suggestions varying from amalgamating some classes, increasing the perfomance index (PI) spread of each class, to reinstituting Improved and Prepared.

7) Clarification re some of the rollover/protection/harness rules

Please note that this thread is intended to indicate the agenda for the meeting and not intended to be a discussion of all of the above topics (we don't have time for 30+ pages of posts) but please feel free to add topics if you have not already contacted the CCC. (It is possible we will not have time on the agenda to cover all topics)
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Re: Topics for discussion at OTA open meeting Nov 12

I would propose 2 additional agenda items if at all possible:
    1) Amend our official name to tie it into CASC and hence avoid possible confusion with other series in terms of media, marketing, etc.
    2) Make available various marketing/promo items, such as t-shirts, hats, posters, etc at each event (for a fee).
    Unfortunately I won't be able make the meeting, as I am residing in Alberta for the winter. All the best, Bill
    sigpic
    Supporting member of several
    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Another topic to add to the list is to consider PIPs for longitudinal subframe connectors under the suspension (sPIP) section.
      Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

I would like to suggest adding:

1. Find ways to partner with other event groups (ie show and shine) in order to add spectators which add value for our sponsors.

2. Allow people to do just morning lapping at a lower fee in order to attract more potential competitors to the series from other lapping groups.

3. Make the open house an 'event' in order to attract potential new competitors.
        Gary Wood:
        GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

A big +10 on making an "Open House Event" where we can have a few loaner helmets, get some people out in cars, get them smelling some rubber, brakes and exhaust.

Definitely one of the big downers of coming to the Open House my first time was none of the above.

If we can't get an event organized, can we consider some OTA show n shine type thing at the Open House? We can make little placards with our mods/class.

They can get a feel for track prepped rides, some daily drivers and some that fall in between.
          #74 - 2003 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

2. Allow people to do just morning lapping at a lower fee in order to attract more potential competitors to the series from other lapping groups.

I think this is a great suggestion. One wouldn't have to go through all the steps required for OTA but just show up for the driver's meeting. this way they will benefit from a well organized event and maybe they will be tempted to participate in the future.
            I wanted to come a few times this year, but since I wasn't planning in taking part in the competition, I could not justify going through the entire registration process just for lapping.
            2003 Focus SVT
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
              1) Amend our official name to tie it into CASC and hence avoid possible confusion with other series in terms of media, marketing, etc.
              No other competitor or participant brought this up. You weren't around during the decision making process on this. When we rebranded as Time Attack we wanted to keep it as simple as possible. We do Time Attack in Ontario. What to do Time Attack? That's us. Go to time-attack.ca (the simplest web address available at the time.)

The whole sanctioning body aspect really doesn't matter to those not educated in motorsports, so why do we want to market that way? Keep it simple. Want Time Attack? That's what we do. Once we get you to our website, you'll see that we're part of the CASC-OR sanctioning body, if that's important to you.

I still see no benefit in complicating our marketing message.

And we don't put sponsor names in the website or on stickers because sponsors come and go.
              sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
              OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

What's your point in commenting on my post AFTER the date of the meeting it was intended for? And given the tone of your post...is this how executives of the associated clubs offer encouragement and appreciation to members who actually care to express suggestions? Regards, Bill
                sigpic
                grassroot Clubs

Comment

It's a matter of fact response, Bill, that's all. Nothing bitter or discouraging intended. You wanted it brought up at the meeting, and it hadn't happened before I had to leave. So I asked Jon Weir to bring it up for you as I was leaving. No one had mentioned it yet, so I thought I'd give you some kind of response, since you hadn't had one yet.

I didn't mention that beforehand in this thread because it would have seemed argumentative and that's not the point of the thread. You wanted your point brought forward, and I was going to do it for you myself, but after over two hours, we didn't get to it and I had to leave.

Not sure if it was discussed after I left, but I'm letting you know why the organizers group intentionally did not use the CASC-OR name in marketing originally. They might find revisiting marketing strategy a high priority in the future, so keep campaigning if you think it's the right thing to do.

I don't have a vote in what the organziers group decides to do.
                  sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                  OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

thanks for clarifying it up. Reading your post i had no idea you were actually commenting on the proceedings of the meeting....hence took it as an argumentative and mistimed reply.

Anyway, still strongly believe that effective marketing starts not only with a good product, but also a good brand. And some folks will even argue, that a brand is more important than a product (especially in commodity type products). And even generic "No Name" products are trade marked as a brand lest they could be confused with competition! Brand is vital, to ensure folks know WHOSE product they buy and also to ensure, that product marketing efforts cannot be CONFUSED with competitors products.

"Ontario Time Attack" as a name, is not at all unique, as at least 2 other organizations also offer Time Attack in Ontario, including using THESE VERY WORDS for their own advertising. Hence as a brand, it is as good as none. Also, unlike us, other series have clearly recognizable brands. WHY shouldn't we? And why accept a risk of even a single person joining the other series, while thinking they are joining ours? If we were just a bit more serious about running our series as a business (which it is, as money is involved!), we would clearly do everything we could to NOT permit this from happening...Especially given it would be dead easy to accomplish it.

(edit start):
                    "so you do Ontario time attack? Is it with Sigma?", "No", "Oh, it must be CSCS then?", "No", "Well, which one is it then?!"
                    "It is CASC"..."oh, why didn't you say so in the first place?"
                    Obviously, I also have a very different opinion regarding the importance of "CASC" as part of our name. Afterall, CASC is the official sanctioning body of automotive sports in Canada, with some 30 clubs as members! Plus, it is affiliated with FIA. In short, no other name carries as much prestige and recognition. Think of kind of marketing opportunities this would bring!!! Hence, it remains a complete mystery to me, why we would WILLINGLY and PURPOSELY omit it. (edit end)

Anyhow, i have expressed all i can on this subject already in seperate thread(s). Also, i had offered my comments to simply assist in enhancing our series. As such, i have no other/further vested interest to lobby my POV, especially, if managing parties of the series do not see any merit in it. All the best, Bill
                    Last edited by Alloy GT; 11-19-2011, 04:06 PM.
                    sigpic
                    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Working...
                    X