Ok, all you Corvette bums ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ok, all you Corvette bums ...

Congratulations Arek! If you want to take "guessing" out of your mods, than i would suggest you contact THE authority on vette racing: Devon Powell in Port Perry. Besides running a great shop there (mild to wild), he still holds a world record in GTS wins, hence knows (first hand) a thing or two about what to do, or not to do with these cars...905 985 1600 is the number to his shop.
    As an example re my own c5z, we did the following (for lapping/time attack application on streets and/or R-comps):
    1) brake lines
    2) front hubs (SKF) on a precaution basis
    3) diff cooler
    PENDING: after-market rad with an integrated oil cooler (but this is just for my peace of mind - the car wasnt really running hot, albeit i dont do enduros
    PS I did break a valve spring at MIR and hence had them replaced, but unsure how they compare with an LS2 motor. Ditto oil pan design.
    Hope this helps! Bill
    sigpic
    Supporting member of several
    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by shamrock View Post
      like I said "Bottom line though is they're hot out of the box stock".

Even my C4 was although this new one I have is a different animal
      Hi Pat...we had a pleasure of meeting once at CMP...so, did you get the "666" vette?! Cheers, Bill
      sigpic
      grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by ScotcH View Post
        Reliability comes first .... I do hope to do better than 36s tough ... thats slow ;-)
        Just saying ... it seems to be the benchmark for many of the 'Vettes out there.

How is the ABS on these things? You guys ever disable it? How about booter?
        Works fine for me. Haven't heard too many complaints from others either. The Active Handling / Traction Control is a different animal, although the car does have different modes:
        - AH/TC on - aka: default / full-nanny mode.
        - TC off - aka: drag-strip mode, so you can spin the rears (in a straight line), but have all other nannies "on".
        - "Comp Mode" - good for most/average track junkies. AH/TC is approx. ~50% less sensitive - you can get away with twice as much "fun". I usually run in Comp, and haven't found it too restrictive.
        - AH/TC off - aka: you're on your own (which I'm sure you'd prefer ... I think Krispy runs with AH/TC off). However, ABS is still active in this mode (and all others too, of course).

I think cooling is a must, and probably so is oiling. You guys have any data logs of your temps and oil pressures? Would love to see what the data looks like in some of the turns!
        The factory Z06 coolers are bigger than the Z51 coolers, so you may want to look into them. They work very well, are good quality, and have all factory compatible mounting/connections, etc. However, they're probably way more $$$ than aftermarket, so you may want to shop around if you just want "function over fashion", and can get what you need more cost-effectively.

Oil temps should NOT be hitting ~300F (Lloyd!! ) ... with the coolers, I think ~260 - 270F is the highest I've seen.

For the oiling issue, there are some aftermarket systems available ... read up on the Corvette Forum AX/RR section (Pat posted that link earlier in the thread). You will find what you need there.

On my C6 (LS3), I ran the GM Performance Parts "Bat-wing" pan, (P/N 12630477) ... similar to the factory pan on the C5 Z06 (LS6) ... it nearly DOUBLES the oil capacity, AND it has a windage tray and better baffling than the stock LS2/LS3 pans. I had no problems with my LS3, running ~1:36's, on Kumho XS (yeah, yeah, yeah, I was still "learning" ok! ). So obviously the pan was maintaining an adequate oil supply for the engine.

My Z06 (LS7) obviously has the factory dry-sump (same as Grand Sport) but it's still not a perfect system. Aviaid makes a couple of upgrades (I got them through Devon Powell) for the oil pan, and the oil reservoir.

IMO, for the LS2/LS3, your best bet is either A) the more "economical" (and simple) "Bat-wing" oil pan, or B) go straight to aftermarket dry-sump (skip the factory stuff).

We'll need wheels. I definitely want to stay with 18s (front and rear), or even 17" if they'll fit.
        I have 2 complete sets of factory C6 wheels: 18 x 8.5" and 19 x 10", one set sporting nearly new Kumho XS. They worked fine for me, but I don't know if they'll be wide enough for what you want?

There are 17's that will "fit" (over the brakes) but you'd have to leave stock 13" rotors. If you go up to Z51 (13.4"), Z06 (14") or aftermarket brakes, you'll need minimum 18" front wheels. The rears are not an issue!
        OMSC
        Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
        Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

The stability control routines are pretty good. Never used them on a dry track though, at least on a short track they feel pretty intrusive. At MIR where I can't drive the car at the limit it probably wouldn't be so bad.
          03 Z06 #72
          15 Prius V

Comment

excellent info. I had a look at the options sheet, and it does indeed have the Z51 package, so that's good news ... looks like at least some extra coolers are on the car, and has bigger brakes so that's good (looks like 18" rims it is!).

We'll have a bunch of stuff for sale as it comes off the car, so if you guys need any parts to replace on your street vettes, let me know. It does have some huge ass chrome wheels which look pretty cool, the HUD, and sat nav (I assume ... fold out screen of some sort). Of course A/C parts will go, and the Z51 suspension will be for sale at some point.

We'll probably come out for some TA events to have some fun and do some testing (racing schedule permitting) ... nothing like TA to see if your mods are making you faster!
            Arek Wojciechowski
            8legs Racing, SPC #77
            http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
              Hi Pat...we had a pleasure of meeting once at CMP...so, did you get the "666" vette?! Cheers, Bill
              No I got the 45 vette. Thats its CASC number. Its a C4 race car from Texas.
              the 666 is coming next year. (06C6ZO6) lol.
              Pat McDermott
              OSCC.

Comment

Lots of people step down to the base rotor and caliper bracket for rotor availability purposes. For a road race car you might be changing the brakes anyway.
                03 Z06 #72
                15 Prius V

Comment

keep your clutch fluid clean and fresh or the pedal will stick to the floor on hard, high rpm shifts.

Scared the hell out of me my frist night with my C5Z. Thought I exploded the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by -bbTeg View Post
                    keep your clutch fluid clean and fresh or the pedal will stick to the floor on hard, high rpm shifts.

Scared the hell out of me my frist night with my C5Z. Thought I exploded the clutch.
                    Same experience here...A small turkey baster does wonders in getting the fluid out of the reservoir a few times a season and is sufficent in controling the problem (without needing a total flash). I find i get the issue once at the beginning of the season, put a clean fluid in the reservoir and then never experience the problem agan (i do this procedure preventatively at each oil change).
                    sigpic
                    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
                      Same experience here...A small turkey baster does wonders in getting the fluid out of the reservoir a few times a season and is sufficent in controling the problem (without needing a total flash). I find i get the issue once at the beginning of the season, put a clean fluid in the reservoir and then never experience the problem agan (i do this procedure preventatively at each oil change).
                      same. got the car in sept, was doing it pretty bad. Beel changing the fluid out often, never happens anymore.

not sure how it would stand up to the track, but I can run through 1-2-3-4 without any issue.

Comment

same. got the car in sept, was doing it pretty bad. Beel changing the fluid out often, never happens anymore.

not sure how it would stand up to the track, but I can run through 1-2-3-4 without any issue.
                        unsure what you mean by "1-2-3-4", but mine did it ONLY while on a track and only on the first run of the season. i track it quite often and no probs otherwise.
                        cheers, Bill
                        sigpic
                        grassroot Clubs

Comment

1-2-3-4 as in running through the gears hard.

Comment

1-2-3-4 as in running through the gears hard.
                            that's what i thought. mine would always happen on a downshift from 4th to 3rd...
                            sigpic
                            grassroot Clubs

Comment

congrats on the find Arek. I turned a 1:34.5 at MIR in my only time on the big track this summer. The car has nothing done but does have the factory Z51 package. (I havn't even changed the air filter)

Street tires (Kuhmo XS's) and SS brake lines. I overfil the oil very slightly.

Keep us posted with your project plans... it's tough to top a C6 racecar... as proven by the fact that it's my car of choice in video games... :-)
                              #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

Working...
                              X