Ok, all you Corvette bums ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, all you Corvette bums ...

I need some info. We picked up a C6 cheap, and are building it into a track car for next year. Need to know if you've discovered stuff that needs upgrading before the car can hit the track. I know they are fast out of the box, but apparently, only fast for about 3 laps ... then shit starts going bad (like brakes, shocks, etc). So, list some "must do" things, and "should do" things if you've learned anything. It's a base 2005 LS2 if that matters.
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Re: Ok, all you Corvette bums ...

throw it in the trash
    set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Arek go here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

This is probably the most comprehensive read by a guy who does HPDE's. A long read (a mini book) but super good stuff. Its for a C5 but most applies to any Vette.
      Bottom line though is they're hot out of the box stock. Your going to have a blast.

As for buddy.....well,,,,there's one born every minute.
      Pat McDermott
      OSCC.

Comment

A) There's WAY more info in that thread than you need!

B) I HAVE WHEELS FOR YOU!!! (if you care for another set of factory sized wheels??).

C) Having gone to the Z06 from the base 2010, I can tell you that you will need the following, if you wish to have un-interrupted (and reliable) fun:

- engine oil cooler
        - power steering cooler
        - tranny cooler
        - diff cooler

The BASE car offers NONE of those items . However, a Z51 has the engine oil cooler and a steering cooler (... and I "think" a tranny cooler as well, although you'd have to confirm that one for sure).

I added an engine oil cooler to my car, so never had a problem with that. However, after extended sessions, I could hear the power steering pump whining, and after only ~15 - 20 minute sessions at Mosport, I was heating up the diff enough that it would "burp" fluid, get on the exhaust, and billow smoke behind the car . "Apparently" it may have been as simple as a bad/blocked diff vent (basically, allowing a build-up of pressure, which would escape out the driver's axle seal - there was evidence of some leakage there - instead of simply venting properly). However, there also appeared to be some evidence of tranny fluid burping out the vent, so basically, it appeared that both units (tranny & diff) were getting quite "warm" .

Hence, I moved up to the Z06 that has coolers on EVERYTHING.

Now, none of the C5 guys seem to have any of those issues, and Todd has had good success with his '05 Z51 thus far .

Aside from addressing some of those cooling concerns, there's really nothing "major" to have to worry about with these cars. Obviously you're not "new", so you'll know to address things like occasional cracked rotors and brake cooling (simply for longevity), but otherwise? Go out and enjoy the car!!

Oh, apparently I'd been hard on some of the control arm bushings in merely 20,000kms, so maybe you'd want to look at upgrading to poly for long-term?

Yeah, that's about it!
        OMSC
        Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
        Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Sticky tires tend to blow up LS2s and LS3s due to oiling issues (the LS7 as well, but it is a much more specific problem).

Sticky tires will make the control arm bushings walk out eventually

Cooling for 3 laps is up to you. The C5 has no coolers (except PS) and I did not overheat the oil or trans this year, according to GM limits. I don't think I've seen higher than 310* oil. Trans isn't displayed, but the C5Z has a sensor.

The 2005 is generally avoided for vague electrical issues, but of course pretty much all cars can have those. And its usually priced into the car.

Fun cars.
          03 Z06 #72
          15 Prius V

Comment

Seems LS3's suffered worse than LS2's in the oiling (or lack-thereof) department. I guess it depends on exactly what "level" you plan to take the car to? A basic, stripped down, track-prepped car? (ie: mostly stock, other than track/safety items?) or full-fledged, hard-core, "race-ready"??

If you're going to full slicks, coil-overs, big bars, big brakes, and possibly more HP, THEN you'd better start looking into further "reliability mod$".

For the oiling issue, you can go with GM's own "Bat-wing" oil pan (I had one on my '10, and it totally did the trick) or you can go all and and aftermarket dry-sump.

Basically, depends on the budget and expections you have for the car .

But if you just want a decent, simple, mod-free "toy" that runs ~36's or better, then slap some tires and brakes on and go .
            OMSC
            Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
            Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Yeah, they're fast. I got high 34s out of a stock car and I only vaguely know what I'm doing at MIR.

The LS6 has the batwing pan and is considered fairly hard to break. I'm only getting 1.3G at Mosport in both directions on streets though. The LS2 and LS3 seem to be more touchy though.
              03 Z06 #72
              15 Prius V

Comment

Adding an oil accumulator and cooler is the way I went. Equipped with a pressure switch to discharge below 18psi, recharges after the pressure rises above 25 psi. As an added bonus each start up the engine is pre-lubed. Mine is a 1.5 litre moroso. With the cooler on the car never had an issue with oil temps after. No oiling issues either, but then again if you look at my times I obviously do not corner as hard as others do. Lingenfelter makes an adapter to run the oil cooler lines from just above the oil filter where the temp sender is mounted.

Comment

like I said "Bottom line though is they're hot out of the box stock".

Even my C4 was although this new one I have is a different animal
                  Pat McDermott
                  OSCC.

Comment

Great suggestions guys.

The plan now is to do the minimum to get it race legal, then add from there. Full cage, gutting, safety gear, etc. Do the stuff that needs doing, and have fun. We might do coilovers and bars, bushings, but no engine mods (yet). Reliability comes first .... I do hope to do better than 36s tough ... thats slow ;-)

How is the ABS on these things? You guys ever disable it? How about booter?

Note: this is not for time attack (well, maybe for fun sometimes), so it needs to be able to run a full race, and maybe even the 3hr enduro. I think cooling is a must, and probably so is oiling. You guys have any data logs of your temps and oil pressures? Would love to see what the data looks like in some of the turns!

We'll need wheels. I definitely want to stay with 18s (front and rear), or even 17" if they'll fit.

Btw, it's not black
                    Arek Wojciechowski
                    8legs Racing, SPC #77
                    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

17s probably go over the base brakes but there is more selection for tires in 18"

ABS seems okay. No complaints there. There are some guys on CF that turn it off. Removing it entirely is not trivial.

No data. Oil without cooler goes pretty much from whatever to 300 in a couple laps. Run a cooler. And if you're going to run real tires do some hard reading on oiling, I don't think real tires + stock LS2 + Mosport will work out well. GM looked long and hard at oiling on the base cars (did some of their own testing with real tires and all that). The result was the simply the C6 GS with the dry sump, which in later models I think is decent (the LS7 still seems like a pretty fragile motor though)
                      03 Z06 #72
                      15 Prius V

Comment

Arek,

For the ABS, cut th Ign wire and install a switch. You can then turn off the ABS for most running you will do with the car.

Now when it rains...turn the ABS back on and go fast!
                        sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

upgrade the power steering pump...to a slower pump/ rpm on it
                          Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

The OE brake lines are a common failure point. Change them.
                            http://www.pitl.ca

Comment

Originally posted by 13inches View Post
                              The OE brake lines are a common failure point. Change them.
                              Haha...thanks for pointing that one out, Ryan. Arek, my dad's C6 Z51 had an OE brake line fail at SMP and after the incident I did some research and this is apparently a disturbingly common problem so definitely switch those out to Goodridge. I did 32's at Mosport with the only mods being brake pads and tires (Hoosier R6s on OEM wheels) and didn't have any overheating issues during 30 minute lapping sessions, but the Z51 does have all the coolers.

Having tested Katech Performance's C6 Z06 Clubsport vs the new Viper ACR a few years ago at Autobahn near Chicago, the biggest thing the Vette needed to keep up with the ACR was more downforce, especially out back. The Z06 had great turn-in bite but then the tail end would start to slide around so much that I couldn't get the power down as early as I wanted coming out of higher speed corners (and that was on Motons and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires). Obviously for Mosport a big ass rear wing will do wonders, along with a front splitter to balance it out. Anyway, I'll send you a PDF of this story if you want, plus I'll see if I can dig up some data from my dad's Vette and from the Katech story.
                              The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

Working...
                              X