tire choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire choices

I know this has been discussed many times before,its winter and I'm bored lol.I am thinking of tire choices for 2012.Although I didnt get out in 2011 I hope to in 2012.I had bfg kdw last season and did some lapping with them and found they were okay.any suggestions on tire choices for this season.I would like to use an r compound but if anyone knows a good street compound that is close to an r I may also go with that to keep my car lower in class.
    Another question,I recently purchased a set of 14" rims for my honda that came with a cage I bought and was thinking of using 14" tires,any comments on that.I was told that it is harder to find 14" tires and to stick with 15" tires.

Re: tire choices

14 or 15 you will want to look at the Falcon Azenis, also check what sizes in the Hankook rs-3
    sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

For now, the closest street to an R compound seems to be the Hankook RS3.

Apparently there may be others out there that match the dry performance of this tire and still have a treadwear rating of 140 or more but I don't know which ones they are.
      Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

You've got the RS3, but it's 225 wide only in a 15.
        Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Hankook RS3
          sigpic
          Alex. Time-Attack #133 GT-3
          UMBRELLA CONTRACTING

Comment

225 45 15 rs3 and make them fit!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KLZEMX6 View Post
              225 45 15 rs3 and make them fit!
              I wish I could.205 is about my limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                For now, the closest street to an R compound seems to be the Hankook RS3.

Apparently there may be others out there that match the dry performance of this tire and still have a treadwear rating of 140 or more but I don't know which ones they are.
                The Yokohama Advan AD08's come very close in the dry and are a fair bit faster in the cold/wet. They come in limited sizes (mostly in 17,18,19) but do come in a 205/50/15. Their only 15 inch size.

I'll see how they stand up to the RS-3's next summer in both Solo2 and Time Attack use.
                CASC Autoslalom Director
                2019 Honda Civic Si #64
                www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

A new tire is coming from BFG for spring 2012, it is a BFG version of the Michelin Super Sport. I have heard it will be aabout 15% less than the current KDW. My experience last year on the Super Sport was that it was almost as sticky as the BFG R1 and had minimal wear, and was a great day to day street tire.
                  "Fun racing the way it's supposed to be!"

Comment

Originally posted by abrracing View Post
                    A new tire is coming from BFG for spring 2012, it is a BFG version of the Michelin Super Sport. I have heard it will be aabout 15% less than the current KDW. My experience last year on the Super Sport was that it was almost as sticky as the BFG R1 and had minimal wear, and was a great day to day street tire.
                    I have heard about BFG's new tire as well, but no details....
                    So, a tire rated 300 was almost as sticky as another one rated 40?!
                    Any laptime info you can share to illustrate what the real difference was performance wise?
                    Thanks! Bill
                    sigpic
                    Supporting member of several
                    grassroot Clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
                      I have heard about BFG's new tire as well, but no details....
                      So, a tire rated 300 was almost as sticky as another one rated 40?!
                      Any laptime info you can share to illustrate what the real difference was performance wise?
                      Thanks! Bill
                      I agree. I'm always dubious about new tires and their claims until GRM runs an instrumented test on them against the current street tire leaders.
                      CASC Autoslalom Director
                      2019 Honda Civic Si #64
                      www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

Originally posted by abrracing View Post
                        Really? FWIW, I put a set of Super Sports on my beater Taurus SHO after finally cording the Dunlop Star Specs that I had on it for a few years. Definitely not as much grip as the Star Specs, but still very good. Needed more steering angle for the same amount of cornering.

cheers
                        Ed N.
                        84 Mustang SVO
                        95 Jaguar XJR

Comment

What is everyones opinion on toyo r888?The reason I ask is I have a set of 14" rims that I would like to try out and toyo has them in 14".I guess r888's would be a r comp?

Comment

Originally posted by mopar1 View Post
                            What is everyones opinion on toyo r888?The reason I ask is I have a set of 14" rims that I would like to try out and toyo has them in 14".I guess r888's would be a r comp?
                            888s are indeed R comps but not particularly popular ones in heavy cars. Can't really comment on light cars.
                            Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                              888s are indeed R comps but not particularly popular ones in heavy cars. Can't really comment on light cars.
                              I am thinking of doing away with the 14" rims,not much variety out there for 14".Saying that I am thinking falcon azenis just because I can get 205 50 15.I will keep shoping,long way till spring yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X