Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Buddy System"

This is just an idea right now....

The Promotion Committee is considering a "Buddy System" for new drivers in the series. I know, when I started, it took a while to find out who I could always rely on for advice, and to answer all my "newbie questions" graciously. At this point, we're just trying to find out who might be willing to be on a list of people that new drivers could go to for advice: not necessarily experts in all areas, just someone to ask anything they want to, in order to get some direction. The "buddies" could be identified at driver's meetings and then anyone who was interested, would know those are people who are willing to listen to their questions and help them out.

This would be in addition to the already excellent instruction available, and it would be one more resource for new people.

Not a big commitment, but probably very helpful to someone new in the series, especially if they don't know anyone.

If you think you'd like to be one of these "go-to" people, please let me know by forum, PM, or email.

Thanks!
    Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
    OTA Director 2015
    ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Re: "Buddy System"

This is actually in place in race as well. Nick M started this last year.

I will be happy to be on the list for this season in OTA
    sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Great idea! I'm going to need help as this will be my first time out on Ontario courses.

Comment

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
        This is just an idea right now....

The Promotion Committee is considering a "Buddy System" for new drivers in the series. I know, when I started, it took a while to find out who I could always rely on for advice, and to answer all my "newbie questions" graciously. At this point, we're just trying to find out who might be willing to be on a list of people that new drivers could go to for advice: not necessarily experts in all areas, just someone to ask anything they want to, in order to get some direction. The "buddies" could be identified at driver's meetings and then anyone who was interested, would know those are people who are willing to listen to their questions and help them out.

This would be in addition to the already excellent instruction available, and it would be one more resource for new people.

Not a big commitment, but probably very helpful to someone new in the series, especially if they don't know anyone.

If you think you'd like to be one of these "go-to" people, please let me know by forum, PM, or email.

Thanks!

Very good idea
        sigpic
        Alex. Time-Attack #133 GT-3
        UMBRELLA CONTRACTING

Comment

Its a good idea but I think it mostly already exists. You have Time Attack representatives like Frank, then you also have instructors...like Frank. Actually just get a few more Franks.

I think there are plenty of friendly helpful people, I've never had a problem getting help or questions answered, especially with these forums. I think efforts could be made to make the registration process easier though. I know perfectly well how its done but still don't enjoy it.

In any case, I would be happy to buddy up with someone. Just friends though.

Comment

The few people I have already met with, especially Scott, have been a huge help so far as it is, the community seems to do very well. Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

Comment

Originally posted by iamthewheelman View Post
              The few people I have already met with, especially Scott, have been a huge help so far as it is, the community seems to do very well. Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
              I agree, ive only been on this forum for a couple of months and will be a rookie this year in OTA and everyone seems real genuine and helpful.

Buddy system is a cool idea. Nothing worse than a rookie having a question about something that no one gives a shit about, like i encountered last year with the "other" time attack organizations.

Comment

I am OK to be a buddy but not an instructor. I will be happy to help.
                Gary Wood:
                GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

The program is intended to be very casual and laid back. No extra training required and no instruction necessary. Just people who don't mind being identified as someone new drivers can approach with their questions. It's really just a way of reassuring new people they're ok to ask whatever.

Input so far is very positive and I appreciate all comments and opinions. We do indeed have a great product and everyone at the track is helpful. This is just a way of making that already great product even better.
                  Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
                  OTA Director 2015
                  ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Awesome to see such strong support to assist new members and make our series the best the can be!

As Kelly has already mentioned, this is supposed to be casual and informal, to welcome any new folks and make their first event(s) as stress free and fun as possible.

Some additional considerations:

1) welcome them to park next to you at the paddock
                    2) intro them to the Chucks, Scotts, Garys, Derricks, Franks and all the other famous and helpful personalities!
                    3) simply be there to answer questions, or offer basic info/advice, or simply point them in the right direction
                    4) as you can see, no special skill sets required here: an outgoing and friendly personality will do just fine!!!

Cheers and thanks on behalf of our Promo Committee and the Series! Cheers, Bill
                    sigpic
                    Supporting member of several
                    grassroot Clubs

Comment

You can put me on your list of Buddies.

JohnP

Comment

good idea but just remember the teacher may have taught the student everything the student knows but not everything the teacher knows. As well to much info from to many sources can be a recipe for disaster

Comment

Steal from the best...
                          Rallispec Ltd., Full Race Turbo Systems, Stop Tech Brakes, Hankook Motorsports, Hawk Brake Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy View Post
                            Steal from the best...
                            Rob, there's a couple of things I'd like to borrow ...
                            sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

What do you want now ?

You need me to test another set of 4 year old RA1's for you at CTMP ?

Thanks, buddy.

Rallispec Ltd., Full Race Turbo Systems, Stop Tech Brakes, Hankook Motorsports, Hawk Brake Pads.

Comment

Working...
                              X