heat cycling tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat cycling tires

Just wondering where some people go to heat cycle their tires in the GTA. Also, how much is it per tire?

Re: heat cycling tires

GO Station parking lot after hours.

Free.
    sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
    OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Would not recommend the above, I know a *ahem* friend that was given a ticket for dangerous driving (criminal offence) for actions like that.
      2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

i would think the best place to scuff tires is at the track in first practice. Not sure why you would need to do it much before this

Comment

Some tires do not need to be heat cycled. What are you running?
          sigpic
          Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by shaker351 View Post
            i would think the best place to scuff tires is at the track in first practice. Not sure why you would need to do it much before this
            Unless you have multiple sets and can let the freshly heat cycled tires rest for a day, you arent accomplishing what you think.

http://www.tyre-technology.com/index.php/heat-cycling

after the first heat cycle, the tires need time to rest.
            2012 Mazdaspeed3
            Time Attack #48 GT2

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron3T View Post
              Unless you have multiple sets and can let the freshly heat cycled tires rest for a day, you arent accomplishing what you think.

http://www.tyre-technology.com/index.php/heat-cycling

after the first heat cycle, the tires need time to rest.
              yes you are right. i guess i shouldn't assume a person only has one set. We normally scuff our new tires first practice sat. morning unless we get track time fri. then run them on sunday. If for some reason this isn't possible we have scuffed them first practice sat. and once they have returned to ambient temp. start running them again and have never found a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by gpilling View Post
                Just wondering where some people go to heat cycle their tires in the GTA. Also, how much is it per tire?
                What tires are you running? How many sets are you going to use? What car? What susp do you have on the car?
                sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

the tires are nitto NT01's. the car is a 2000 bmw e46 3 series on bilstein coilovers and they will be on separate wheels for track use only. its just one set that i have for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
                    Would not recommend the above, I know a *ahem* friend that was given a ticket for dangerous driving (criminal offence) for actions like that.
                    Old man in Georgetown doing figure 8's "troubleshooting a scraping noise in the front end"... no problem.

I've also asked before club autoslaloms or driver schools are setup in the morning to heat cycle a set, but I had a spare set to switch to.

Keep in mind that you don't want the tires making noise while heat cycling, no smoke shows, etc. You want to heat the tires mostly from the flex of the belts. Excessive surface heat is not your friend.
                    sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                    OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

In general, a HEAT CYCLE is used to change the molecular bonds of the rubber. Get them warm. I usually suggest that one puts the tires on the car, goes for a bit of a drive on the highway, and then takes the set off to sit for at least a day.

Scuffing in a tire is used to get rid of the release compound on the outside of the tire, and expose fresh rubber to the road. You need to slide the tire, or actually wear a tiny bit off of the surface of the tire.

For a lapping car, I would just heat cycle the tire, so that it extends its useful life. For a race car, sometimes you need to have a fresh rubber surface right away, like when you want to put wet tires on.

Different things, different needs and different purpose.
                      Pete M
                      CTCC Technical Director
                      Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Choose 2.
                      Big Brother is watching.

Comment

Originally posted by gpilling View Post
                        the tires are nitto NT01's. the car is a 2000 bmw e46 3 series on bilstein coilovers and they will be on separate wheels for track use only. its just one set that i have for this season.
                        Is you car street legal or can you mount these tires on a street car?

If yes, just heat cycle them on the highway by getting them up to temp and take them home, take them off the car and wait 24 hours. Good to go.

Do NOT do this on a cold or wet day.
                        sigpic
                        Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

the car is street legal, so i'll just throw on the set and take them on the highway then switch them when i get home. thanks for the info guys! much appreciated. looking forward to meeting all of you this season.

Comment

Working...
                          X