Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Schedule

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: 2013 Schedule

    Lapping days and timers are a great way to measure yourself against yourself and to try out different lines etc.

    OTOH you don't know who or what your competition is and whether they or their car is a worthy measuring stick.

    And you don't have to win in OTA to have fun. Sometimes it just teaches you how much more you need to know.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: 2013 Schedule

      My time/budget does not allow for me to compete a full race season in race.

      I mix my time between race and Time-Attack.

      I go with the goal of class win each time I show up vs worrying about the overall
      sigpic

      http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: 2013 Schedule

        Since this thread has turned into a bit of a sounding board for next season I thought I'd throw out an idea to see what the response is.

        It sounds like next season will likely have a total of 8 events, what if we split the season into two 4 event series?
        The 4 events per series could be split along the following lines:
        a) First 4 calendar events = Series A and last 4 calendar events = Series B
        b) Or events at SMP & CTMP = East Series & events at DDT, GBR (or TMP) = West Series
        c) Or events run on Saturdays = Saturday Series & events on Sundays = Sunday Series
        d) Or some other variation to split the events.

        Scoring would be 4 out of 4 per series, if you run both series you would use your best result.
        Overall would be best 4 out of 4 result no matter which series.
        This would allow competitors that can't make it to say 5 or 6 out of 8 still be considered to have run a full series and we would have more "full series" competitors in each class making for more competition.

        Just a thought, don't be afraid to say it's a stupid idea if you think so! Or maybe come up with a better variation, just trying to come up with an idea that allows people that can only come out to a limited number of events the opportunity to run what would be considered a full series.
        Last edited by ONdriver; 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM.
        #25 summer & winter

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: 2013 Schedule

          It's not obvious to me why we have throw away events anyway. Not sure of any other sport that has that. Sure, in the NHL playoffs, it's the best of 7 games, but they all count. If the winner is decided in the first 4 games, the rest are not played.

          Sure, there is a financial and time obligation to run all the events (or maybe all minus 1) but shouldn't that be expected of the real champion? Especially if we are not running a 10 event schedule. If the schedule is released months before the start of the season, you should be able to plan your year.

          My choice would be to avoid long weekends to avoid family conflicts. I envy those that bring their family along, but that seems to be the exception and not the norm.
          '11 Red STI #373


          Keep right except to pass.

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: 2013 Schedule

            Originally posted by ONdriver View Post
            Since this thread has turned into a bit of a sounding board for next season I thought I'd throw out an idea to see what the response is.

            It sounds like next season will likely have a total of 8 events, what if we split the season into two 4 event series?
            The 4 events per series could be split along the following lines:
            a) First 4 calendar events = Series A and last 4 calendar events = Series B
            b) Or events at SMP & CTMP = East Series & events at DDT, GBR (or TMP) = West Series
            c) Or events run on Saturdays = Saturday Series & events on Sundays = Sunday Series
            d) Or some other variation to split the events.

            Scoring would be 4 out of 4 per series, if you run both series you would use your best result.
            Overall would be best 4 out of 4 result no matter which series.
            This would allow competitors that can't make it to say 5 or 6 out of 8 still be considered to have run a full series and we would have more "full series" competitors in each class making for more competition.

            Just a thought, don't be afraid to say it's a stupid idea if you think so! Or maybe come up with a better variation, just trying to come up with an idea that allows people that can only come out to a limited number of events the opportunity to run what would be considered a full series.
            Interesting idea!
            Corey Whiteman

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: 2013 Schedule

              Originally posted by dubya_rx View Post
              It's not obvious to me why we have throw away events anyway.
              Personally I like the idea of throw-aways.
              After all, this is grass roots racing, not F1. It allows for that really bad outing you didn't expect, not to count. Fair I think. Especially since everyone is playing by the same rules.

              If the schedule is released months before the start of the season, you should be able to plan your year.
              Agreed. It's what I try to do.
              Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
              OTA Director 2015
              ASN/FIA Committee 2015

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: 2013 Schedule

                Originally posted by ONdriver View Post
                what if we split the season into two 4 event series? scoring would be 4 out of 4 per series. Overall would be best 4 out of 4 result no matter which series. just trying to come up with an idea that allows people that can only come out to a limited number of events the opportunity to run what would be considered a full series.
                Interesting and different. Problem I see is - if all 4 count in each series, and you have a bad series, but still want to compete for class or overall, then you have to run another 4 event series! (which may be ok for some, but not all)

                I think if we're going from 7 out of 10, to 5 out of 7, it should make is easier for most to compete.
                Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
                OTA Director 2015
                ASN/FIA Committee 2015

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: 2013 Schedule

                  Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                  Lapping days and timers are a great way to measure yourself against yourself and to try out different lines etc.

                  OTOH you don't know who or what your competition is and whether they or their car is a worthy measuring stick.

                  And you don't have to win in OTA to have fun. Sometimes it just teaches you how much more you need to know.
                  100% Agreed.

                  Just to add a bit of perspective. During 2008 and 2009 my track time was limited to lapping days - and I had a blast. Before that I attended and competed in 90% of the Time Attack events from 2003 to 2007 - and I had a blast. I seldom won an event in my class and was never an overall class winner but I steadily improved season-by-season. When I returned to Time Attack in 2010 I half expected to pick up where I left off. However, I was humbled to I discover that my lap times were much slower compared to the competition in my class, despite being able to maintain my skills at lapping days. IMHO it takes competition to really push yourself to drive better. Lap timers are fine at lapping events, but it takes competitive events to force you to step outside your lapping day comfort zone (true for me at least).

                  Bottom line. Competitive events make you a better driver.
                  CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                  sigpic
                  Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: 2013 Schedule

                    Originally posted by ONdriver View Post
                    b) Or events at SMP & CTMP = East Series & events at DDT, GBR (or TMP) = West Series
                    I think this is a great idea. Still dunno that I could make 4 events if I decide to jump in, but maybe the following season, two events at TMP and two events at GBR is VERY doable for me with my location. You could even have a non-points event at the very end of the season that brings both the "west" and "east" series together for bragging rights.
                    ----

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: 2013 Schedule

                      Originally posted by dubya_rx View Post
                      It's not obvious to me why we have throw away events anyway. Not sure of any other sport that has that.
                      Formula 1 did it, off and on for many many years through the 80s. Though to be fair it was more to help with the constant unreliability of the turbo monsters, not for missing events.
                      ----

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: 2013 Schedule

                        I like the East/West idea alot, especially if there is a shoot out at the end. I think it would be a perfect balance for the more serious vs less serious racer. However I am not sure if it would help the series overall as I don't think the numbers would improve. People would just skip the events on the other other side of the province. I guess what's best for the drivers isn't always what's best for the series (N)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X