Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which is better TMP or GBR?

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
    Could you look at running CW without the tire eater part and CCW with on the second day?

There is not a lot of runoff at the end of the front straight going CW , especially before you hit the drag strip.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
      There is not a lot of runoff at the end of the front straight going CW , especially before you hit the drag strip.
      There are a bunch of safety considerations that probably need to be looked at if GBR is going to be a mainstay...
      03 Z06 #72
      15 Prius V

Comment

GBR hands down
        03 Corvette Z06

Comment

pouyan and i brought along the girlfriends to the the ota events at grand bend and they loved it. they spent all their time at the beach so its a great place to bring the family.

we like to practice regularly at tmp on fridays. lapping is cheap at tmp and the place is never crowded. that said i would look forward to an event at grand bend more then at tmp just because it feels more like an event. the exciting part for us noobs is the trip aswell. tmp is easily accesible, cheap and so i dont think its as attractive as an event then grand bend is.

dont wanna jack the thread but if anyone is interested in some lapping fun at tmp, we r heading there august 9th friday evening.
          #185 ontario time attack
          Car: 1982 chev "battleship" camaro
          2013 sgt1 class winner.

Comment

I can make a couple of valid points for GB.

Track.
            I view this place in the same light as I see TMP where it is flat with some corners. The track is not hard to learn and enjoyable when run in the CW direction. Doing it back words creates a lot of decreasing radius corners that are not fun. Most of the track is nice and smooth except for the runway section that are very bumpy.

I like the area, food, beach, places to stay , and super easy access to the facility from town.
            I think a more open track layout on day 2 would be more fun. We already run more open track layouts on day 2 of DDT, we should adopt that strategy for this track as well.
            Now CrITical Inc.
            Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

Originally posted by nowcritical View Post
              I think a more open track layout on day 2 would be more fun. We already run more open track layouts on day 2 of DDT, we should adopt that strategy for this track as well.
              Good idea!
              Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
              OTA Director 2015
              ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

I agree that a more open layout for Day2 at GBR would be better. If they could do something at the kink after S/F then we could avoid the loop where timing was this year and make a really challenging course running CW.

They would need to add a curb and runoff at the end of the main straight and the same at that kink. They would have to remove the hump on the inside of the kink as well. Likely not too expensive to do.

See diagram for the idea.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Gwoody27; 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM.
                Gary Wood:
                GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Remove that bump and you have another tmp. We lack tracks with character, so why remove the one thing that adds some excitement to the lap. And before anyone says its too hard on the car- I know first hand as my subframe ripped itself apart from the floor...but I still think the bump should remain.
                  Corey Whiteman

Comment

Good idea for the alternate course.

I would be fine with the section you want to take out for day 2. I think what we need to remove is the loop section in front of the pits that took away any possibility of having a flow to the track.

My other question is why do we insist on running these tracks backwards?

No one runs Mosport or Shanonveille or Le-mans or Nuremberg backwards. Why are we so special in that way?
                    The most obvious answer will be that tracks are designed to provide safe run off areas and buffer zones when used in the forward direction.
                    Now CrITical Inc.
                    Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

No one runs Mosport or Shanonveille or Le-mans or Nuremberg backwards. Why are we so special in that way?
                      The most obvious answer will be that tracks are designed to provide safe run off areas and buffer zones when used in the forward direction.
                      I agree with nowcritical. We don't get a whole lot of track time at the various tracks we run, so my preference would be to always run the same direction and learn and improve over time with more experience on a known layout. We can still change up the configuration from day to day like we do at DDT with kink or no kink etc. for some variety.
                      Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
                      OTA Director 2015
                      ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Variety and balanced tire wear.
                        sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

We run backwards because we can. Kinda like why dogs lick there unmentionables. Only GBR actually allows that option easily. At TMP it is impossible.(2 whole days of running MIR is great but 2 days of the same TMP track...not so much). I know that DDT can be run in either direction but timing etc becomes a real PITA running clockwise and there is always the issue of the braking zone and runoff area after coming up the long west side uphill straight. SPDA did run an event clockwise at the DDT a few years ago but I think the total entry was low so there was no issue getting in enough runs.

Personally I find that GBR is quite a different course CCW vs CW, especially the bus stop section. Get rid of the dipsy-doodle autoX loop for 1 day and it makes for a lot more variety. Kinda like if your significant other gets a different haircut....not always great but always interesting.
                          Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

I like changing directions because it gives more variation, and drivers us to balance tire wear on the other side of the car. Agree with simplifying the track for the second day to minimize wear on car, tires and brakes.

Other series run one or two tracks so the events get boring. OTA trys to challenge drivers, over various tracks. I like it.

JohnP

Comment

I actually preferred the CCW direction, as long as we can get everybody's safety concerns satisfied.
                              Losing the tight loop where we had the timing setup would be awesome!
                              From a timing standpoint it would be easier to run the same direction both days.

Another item to keep in mind is that the management at Grand Bend are very helpful and accomodating and want us to keep coming back. Not sure if the same can be said for TMP. Also, the marshall's supplied at Grand Bend are much better than the kids from the donut shop that TMP recruits!
                              #25 summer & winter

Comment

Working...
                              X