Historic opportunity: Lapping at ota shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic opportunity: Lapping at ota shootout

The Canadian Tire Motorsport Park - Driver Development Track is being demolished beginning October 2013. Many of us started our driving careers at this track either in karts or cars, and there is a limited opportunity to be one of the last to experience the place in it's current form.

OTA is holding the 1st annual "JRP / YOKOHAMA SHOOTOUT" event at this iconic venue on Sunday Sept 29 as part of the CASC celebration weekend. To commemorate the closing of the current DDT, OTA is offering the chance to lap the track along with those OTA competitors who qualified for the "JRP/ YOKOHAMA SHOOTOUT"

Only 10 positions will be available and you could take one. Cost will be only $50.00 which provides you 3 X 20 min sessions from 9 am to noon on Sept 29.

Here's how to get involved. The 1st 10 people to e-mail the OTA registrar at

ontariotimeattack@gmail.com

after noon EDT on Friday August 23 will receive an entry form. (e-mail time stamp will determine the order) (only 1 entry per e-mail) All others after the initial 10 will be put on a waiting list in time receipt order. Those receiving the entry will have 2 business days to return the entry form with payment or they will forfeit their spot which will be filled from the waiting list.

This opportunity is open to all and is sure to be popular and sell out so be ready to enter on time. We look forward to seeing you at the track.
    Last edited by Gwoody27; 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM.
    Gary Wood:
    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Re: Historic opportunity: Lapping at ota shootout

What is the configuration that will be available to run?
    Time-Attack #29
    1990 Toyota Celica GT-S

Comment

Originally posted by k.beaty View Post
      What is the configuration that will be available to run?
      We expect to run the outer perimeter, counter clockwise. This is the fastest version. In the late morning we will likely use the same layout but run clockwise.
      Last edited by Gwoody27; 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM.
      Gary Wood:
      GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Gary a few questions.
        1. Will we be divided into run groups by skill levels?
        2. How many cars will be on at a time?
        3. What is the director's shootout?
        "Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by haikara2308 View Post
          Gary a few questions.
          1. Will we be divided into run groups by skill levels?
          2. How many cars will be on at a time?
          3. What is the director's shootout?
          Thanks for the good questions:

Ontario Time Attack (OTA) is a competition for road racing grass roots enthusiasts to match their car tuning and driving skills against other like minded people. In 2013 the series held events at the CTMP-DDT, Shannonville Motorsports Park, Grand Bend Raceway and the CTMP - Mosport International Raceway.

The JRP / YOKOHAMA SHOOTOUT is new this year. The overall OTA champion will be determined at this one event. It will be a knockout type event, not unlike F1 qualifying , the Indycar Fast 6 or Sprint Car Quick 6 format. The morning of the event will be for practice and the afternoon will be the knockouts and determination of the 2013 Champion.

To qualify competitors must have competed in 5 of the 7 series events held in 2013. This ensures that all of the fastest drivers in the series, all 2013 class champions and many former champions will be involved.

To answer your questions with this background.

1. Lapping will be in the morning and all sessions will be for advanced and intermediate level drivers.

2. The run groups will be capped to 17 max.

3. Answered above.

Thanks for the questions.
          Last edited by Gwoody27; 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM.
          Gary Wood:
          GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Just a quick note regarding the DDT track...

I ran there last night for work and I must say: HOLY DUST!! The shootout will be very interesting if the grip is going to be minimal like last night. The dustiness & grip levels didn't improve throughout the night as they were working on flattening the land from the oval track until about 8PM - will be interesting to see if the grip improves over the course of the day during the shootout as I assume they won't be working on a Sunday.

My advice: take advantage of the morning lapping at the shootout or any possible track time before.

Super excited to be part of this historic event!!
            Steve Bortolotti
            #82 Mazda RX8

Comment

Originally posted by ScubaSteve8 View Post
              Just a quick note regarding the DDT track...

I ran there last night for work and I must say: HOLY DUST!! The shootout will be very interesting if the grip is going to be minimal like last night. The dustiness & grip levels didn't improve throughout the night as they were working on flattening the land from the oval track until about 8PM - will be interesting to see if the grip improves over the course of the day during the shootout as I assume they won't be working on a Sunday.

My advice: take advantage of the morning lapping at the shootout or any possible track time before.

Super excited to be part of this historic event!!
              Thanks, good to know.
              Gary Wood:
              GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Anyone given thought to having an announcer at the event to liven things up a little? It is going to be an exciting day regardless, but when it comes down to the finals few cars, I am sure people would like to know what's going on(can't see half the track), like what the times are, or who is driving.

Just an idea..
                Corey Whiteman

Comment

thats a great idea. It would be great to know the times as they pass. Other wise the drama is lost a little when searching for the lap time
                  Last edited by Fubawu; 08-22-2013, 09:03 PM.
                  Porsche 1971 911S VARAC

Comment

Yes, announcer being considered.
                    Gary Wood:
                    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

We have an announcer, now we just need a PA System. Any ideas???
                      Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
                      Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
                      Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

You should be able to rent a reasonable sized system, simplistic, couple of speakers, for $50 or so for the day. Long and McQuade is in several locations, I rent a small system from them for less than $10 a day.
                        Sorry, I won't be there so cannot rent and take one. But they have locations across southern ontario.
                        sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

maybe you can get JRP on board? Talk to the SPDA guys... they always have access to these funky technology bits
                          set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by nissannx View Post
                            You should be able to rent a reasonable sized system, simplistic, couple of speakers, for $50 or so for the day. Long and McQuade is in several locations, I rent a small system from them for less than $10 a day.
                            Sorry, I won't be there so cannot rent and take one. But they have locations across southern ontario.
                            QFT
                            You can do pretty well with $50 @ Long & McQuade
                            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Registration is now open for Sept 29 lapping at DDT
                              Gary Wood:
                              GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Working...
                              X