Learnings from OTA Event 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learnings from OTA Event 7

What a fabulous weekend of motorsports at Canada's Home of Motor Racing.

Here is what I learned:

1. OTA has the best event crew anywhere. From Organizing to Scrutineering to Timing to Instructing to Classroom Presentation to Gridding to Clerking to PA everyone was on their game to get 3 timed sessions for a sold out event with open lapping time at the end. WHAT A JOB.

2. OTA drivers are also awesome with no breakdowns, all on time and only 1 2 minute recovery delay. OUTSTANDING.

3. I was skeptical of the changes at the track but in practice found them all to be excellent, making for a safer and dare I say faster venue. WELL DONE CTMP

4. Nice to see exotics joining in. It is fun to get a 2 sec tow from a McLaren, Porsche Turbo or GT2, GTR or Ferrari, not to mention Radical, Lotus and Corvette.

5. Cars don't work without a clutch, much to my displeasure.

6. Working in Australia can make you faster.

7. Lotus 7s and Messner Dwarfs are fragile, but very quick when running.

8. We just can't seem to get away from Director Mustangs, what's up with that?

9. I guess trucks can corner after all.

10. There is absolutely no better place to be than MIR on a perfect summer day.
    Gary Wood:
    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Re: Learnings from OTA Event 7

Originally posted by Gwoody27 View Post
    What a fabulous weekend of motorsports at Canada's Home of Motor Racing.

1. OTA has the best event crew anywhere. From Organizing to Scrutineering to Timing to Instructing to Classroom Presentation to Gridding to Clerking to PA everyone was on their game to get 3 timed sessions for a sold out event with open lapping time at the end. WHAT A JOB.
    A huge shout of appreciation for Blake, the team from SPDA, all of the OTA team (Chuck, Scott, Gary, Rob, Derek and I'm sure I'm missing someone) who held another awesome school and event at the most historic road race course in Ontario. I love driving this track. Continue to get the big track on our schedule!

1. I learned that Katie is still faster than me! We were oblivious to the competition that was going on around us - our father and daughter competition was the focal point.

2. My homemade hood and venting system works incredibly well. It got hot but was cool enough for the second driver to compete. I learned that plugging the fan relay back in - unplugged it for some work last week - meant that the final three sessions the car ran incredibly cool!

3. I haven't had RA1's for several years. They are as comfortable as ever and you simply cannot go wrong with them.

4. I love Mosport in the morning!
    sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

I agree, it was a great weekend of running, and thanks to everyone that made this event so great! Had a blast battling in GT3 yesterday and congrats to all the winners.

1. You can lose a ton of time in Turn 5

2. The timing system at OTA has some sort of voodoo against my car - I always seem to have a moment when I'm near it. First Grand Bend, and now this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTutgP3Gck

3. Mustang's sound amazing, especially up the back straight. Sal, we can trade cars whenever you're ready

4. It was truly great seeing so many new faces. I haven't been around the series consistently until this year but judging by the reaction I saw from veterans of the series, they too were excited to see so many new faces.

5. It can get pretty cold at night, even in the middle of August. Definitely going to consider getting a hotel for the Shootout

6. I want a Radical
      Steve Bortolotti
      #82 Mazda RX8

Comment

As someone who hasn't been to a CASC Time Attack Event since (cough, cough) 1985, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of cars and drivers I experienced on the Saturday School and I assume more showed up on the Sunday. It was great fun and everyone treated me just like one of the guys. I had a smile on my face all the way home.

I know I have threatened coming out before, but after that experience, I think I will try to make it out to a few events for sure next year, especially any at Shannonville or Mospo.... er, MIR .... er, CTMP.

And the 2 things I learned from the Saturday, there are a lot of very fast cars in OTA and mostly stock pick up trucks can do decently well around the big track.

Take care and thanks for letting me dip my toe into your waters for a weekend.

Eric
        #23 GT4 Cougar and #24 GT4 RX7

sigpic

Comment

My learnings from event #7..... I should have made the trip and attended event number 7

Comment

I learned how to run my slowest times ever.
            Now CrITical Inc.
            Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

I learned that new suspensions and cambers and things aren't much use if you don't push the car harder to use them.

However, great event. Well done folks.
              Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

1. There is no longer a firewood guy..

2. There is free firewood all around turn 3

3. You can cook a quality T-bone on a hibachi.

4. Going to North America's fastest track with suspension changes can make things very interesting first time out!

5. mcLarens are ridiculously fast!

6. But radicals are faster.

Had a great time!
                Corey Whiteman

Comment

1. Kelly is the nicest guy in OTA and S197 mustangs are perfectly classed. Sad to see Chuck go though, definitely big shoes to fill.

2. The timing crew and the marshalls worked in synergy like clockwork. If you are into logistics and planning, the dopamine receptors in your brain would have been signalling like crazy. Really amazing job, very professional.

3. Getting passenger rides in cars that surpass the potential you've ever driven really is scary. I want to thank Corey though, I had a really fun time as passenger.

4. Who needs a temp gauge when you can use your hand?

5. Learning how to drive a new car on new tires to the limits at MIR is not fun.

6. BMW aero is amazing.

7. Time Attack definitely gives a different feeling than autox. Next time, should set up some cones on pit in and combine the two lol.
                  2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

1. Barry turns his fastest lap in the last session. Good drive Barry, and congrats on a great season with 1st place in T1!
                    2. Nobody drives a CRX faster than Mohamed.
                    3. Gary is one funny guy at a driver's meeting.
                    4. SPDA organizes great events. Well done guys!
                    5. CTMP marshals rock. Thanks for rescuing my corner light!
                    CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                    sigpic
                    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

• Frank Ewald teaches like nobody's business; found my personal best and still room for more, for which I cannot express enough gratitude.
                      • I like the 1 hour lapping at the end of both days. They only reason I stopped is because I ran out of gas, otherwise I'd still be out there....
                      • The more I drive the big track, the more I enjoy it
                      • Paddock D is like "Cheers", where everybody knows your name...
                      • Make sure you park in nice neat lines...Chuck doesn't like parking attendants who makes things all crooked...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Scott Cypher; 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

From the other side...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scott Cypher; 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM. Reason: test

Comment

An ABSOLUTE AWESOME WEEKEND ! Words cant describe. I agree with everyone. You simply get get a better crowd, atmosphere, and organization. Hats off to all the personnel who made this past weekend a success ! Its too bad the season couldn't still continue. ( I have lots of laps left in me ) if anyone is planning on lapping , track time let me know

Steve, thanks for the comment ! I RATHER BE SHOOTING FLAMES ! looks awesome coming into 8 and all you see ahead is a ball of fire out the back of a ZOOM ZOOM ! Killer bud ! lets make them bigger next year !

Comment

Originally posted by Carguy View Post
                            1. Barry turns his fastest lap in the last session. Good drive Barry, and congrats on a great season with 1st place in T1!
                            2. Nobody drives a CRX faster than Mohamed.
                            3. Gary is one funny guy at a driver's meeting.
                            4. SPDA organizes great events. Well done guys!
                            5. CTMP marshals rock. Thanks for rescuing my corner light!
                            Thanks Pierre. Once again, been great fun tussling with you all season. Very glad you made it out to MIR.

Here's hoping we can line up against each other in our current steeds one more time at the shootout!
                            Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Cypher View Post
                              • Frank Ewald teaches like nobody's business; found my personal best and still room for more, for which I cannot express enough gratitude.
                              • I like the 1 hour lapping at the end of both days. They only reason I stopped is because I ran out of gas, otherwise I'd still be out there....
                              • The more I drive the big track, the more I enjoy it
                              • Paddock D is like "Cheers", where everybody knows your name...
                              • Make sure you park in nice neat lines...Chuck doesn't like parking attendants who makes things all crooked...
                              Scott, it was a pleasure riding along with you. Loved seeing the times dropping! Go slow to go fast!

I also love having lapping at the end of the day - Mosport is an amazing track! Thanks to OTA and CASC-OR for having the vision to put on events at this world class facility! And thanks to CTMP for having a vision and putting things into place to take the track well into the next generation!
                              sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Working...
                              X