X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carguy
    replied
    Re: Quick Hello

Welcome to OTA. The car classification rule set was designed with prep point values that assume a modification is optimized to its full potential for your car. It is up to the driver/owner of the vehicle to determine what is optimized or not. As an example shocks/coilovers are not all created equal. Koni yellows & GC sleeves slapped on the car with an eyeballed ride height cost the same number of prep points as 2 or 3-way AST coilovers with valving-to-match-spring-rates-selected-according-to-the-motion-ratio-of-the suspension-with-a-ride-height-that-provides-an-optimal-CG-without-bump steer-[brreaaathhe-in]-and-corner-balanced-with-driver-in. OTOH the performance of the Koni/GC example above will perform better if it is setup with the same care as the AST suspension.

All this means is that to keep a car in a class where it will be most competitive any modification must be carefully chosen to maximize performance gain relative to the prep points charged - and for those on a budget - cost. A good rule of thumb is that for every pip you take your car should be 0.2 seconds faster (with some exceptions when it comes to weight reduction and suspension where pips aren't always 1 for 1 - it's calculated by the CCDB). If a mod costs 2 pips then that mod should make you and your car at least 0.4 seconds faster if it is optimized.

Happy optimizing!

Leave a comment:

• ScubaSteve8
    replied

Originally posted by 2TH PWR View Post
    In the end I will take whatever is handed down and then give 'em hell in the car with less power. That's what I've been doing for 2 years anyways.
    I'd do anything to make your power!! LOL

Or Corey's power....or Kelly's power....or John P's power.....pretty much anyone except Barry's power!!

Leave a comment:

• 2TH PWR
    replied

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Much appreciated. Yes the suspension is a problem I was aware of and I was already looking at upgrading those to AST over the winter as something on my checklist.

The second problem is the high engine pips due to my built VQ swap.
    It was meant to run with ITBs and the aftermarket ECU needed to manage all of that.

But with the stock intake, throttle body, and plenum on the car it's like having a restrictor on the engine. I'm simply not making power to meet the generic minimum expected gains. I dyno'd as low as 280 whp this summer, and as high as 315.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to come off as a whiner, and I will go out and go hard, and enjoy learning what I can. But part of what improves you is being involved in intense competition. If I am removed from the competition part of the equation I won't find it as fulfilling. Maybe not all of you are like that, but, I know I am.

I am just learning the system but it appears if I swapped in an aluminum LS instead that made the same rwhp. Already had some high end coilovers. And returned to stock sway bars (easy to do) then I'd be in like SGT3? And I'd be a faster car. Just seems illogical

So yeah, hopefully it can be actually weighed and dyno'd and taken at face value.

In the end I will take whatever is handed down and then give 'em hell in the car with less power. That's what I've been doing for 2 years anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Merkur_XR
    replied

Originally posted by Kart14 View Post
    Hopefully the CCC will accept your dyno plot. It only took me two years to get them to agree. Athough with your engine mods I expect the MEG will work out to be the same as the dyno plot.

If it's in the budget I would get the best suspension possible for the 6 pips. Koni sports aren't Motons or ASTs (which is what I'd recommend). SPL can set you up.

Good luck - once you try the big track you'll wonder what you've been doing all this time at TMP. Just don't go off in turn at 135kph 3
    Can you say what the hold up with the Dyno plot was? I have to do one because of to many PIP's and would like to avoid a hassle if at all possible.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Kart14
    replied

Hopefully the CCC will accept your dyno plot. It only took me two years to get them to agree. Athough with your engine mods I expect the MEG will work out to be the same as the dyno plot.

If it's in the budget I would get the best suspension possible for the 6 pips. Koni sports aren't Motons or ASTs (which is what I'd recommend). SPL can set you up.

Good luck - once you try the big track you'll wonder what you've been doing all this time at TMP. Just don't go off in turn at 135kph 3

Leave a comment:

• Ujjwal
    replied

Thanks, I think I've been watching you on youtube!

I'm disappointed that my car doesn't really seem to fit into the fray here. Part of me really did want to "compete" with you guys. But that looks impossible based on this years pax system. But I will still approach it with a positive attitude and treat it as a learning experience and gain as much as I can from you guys so thanks for the welcome.

I've seen most of your vids on youtube, it's fun to see you reduce your lap times periodically. Your car without the aero is SGT3 on street tires. It's pretty much the same mod style the season points champion, Corey, has, except he has much less power and is in GT2. A prime example of a car that can win pax in SGT3 is a Corvette c5z06 running 255 street tires. This year, Corey has proven that a well put together suspension set up paxes really well when driven great. If Corey added only power to get into SGT3, he would pax well there too. Point being, your suspension may be your weak link in performing optimally or per your expectations. The sponsors of OTA like Can Alignment can help you get your car up to speed. Look forward to seeing and hearing your car out there, I love the noises 350z's make.

Leave a comment:

• 3wheeler
    replied

I'm disappointed that my car doesn't really seem to fit into the fray here. Part of me really did want to "compete" with you guys. But that looks impossible based on this years pax system. But I will still approach it with a positive attitude and treat it as a learning experience and gain as much as I can from you guys so thanks for the welcome.
    Great to hear you want to attend next year! Car looks great btw.

I can understand your concern in regards to pax, our system isn't exactly friendly when it comes to heavily modified cars...Although you may not be able to compete for overall, there will be allot of cars/drivers you can compare yourself too, and I guarantee the OTA experience alone is worth it.

Look forward to seeing you out there!

Leave a comment:

• 2TH PWR
    replied

Originally posted by ScubaSteve8 View Post
    And one hell of a screaming motor!!

Great to see you will join in on the OTA fun, Mike. Seen your car on Facebook a fair bit, will be great to have you running with us!

Leave a comment:

• ScubaSteve8
    replied

And one hell of a screaming motor!!

Great to see you will join in on the OTA fun, Mike. Seen your car on Facebook a fair bit, will be great to have you running with us!

Leave a comment:

• 2TH PWR
    replied

Thanks guys.
    Looking forward to trying new tracks. Don't care too much about the pax.

Here's a pic.

The basics: ~ 9lbs/hp. Hankook TD's this year. F/R swaybars, endlinks, camber arms, alignment, koni yellow shocks, swift spec r springs, carbotech pads, apr GTC300, homemade splitter.

Leave a comment:

• FarShark
    replied

Nice to see you here Mike. -Farshad

Leave a comment:

• nissannx
    replied

Mike, you're going to have a lot of fun! Glad you're participating in OTA!
    Frank

Leave a comment:

• s1lntz
    replied

Welcome Mike,
    I drive a 2003 350Z too, although its stock and I run in GT3.
    Glad to see another Z.

Leave a comment:

• Lloyd_
    replied

Welcome to the party

Leave a comment:

• Slowpoke
    replied

Welcome, Mike! Glad you made it to the our forum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X