Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year End Tire Reviews:

So,

after reading between the lines here and there, it seems that the RS3 and Dunlop Z11 are two tires very close together at the top of the food chain.

The Rivals it seems are very sensitive to a driver’s taste and it’s a love hate relationship. Barry’s “they’re fast when they’re trying to kill you” comment will forever stick in my head.

And the rest are all taking 4th place and lower on the totem pole.

So what has everyone’s experience been with their setup and observing the setup of others etc.
    set tire pressures to winning!

Re: Year End Tire Reviews:

Rivals definitely are fast but they feel greasy. The thing that I don't like about them is that I felt they don't give as good a mix of lateral and longitudinal grip at the same time compared to the RS3's - This is very dependent on your driving style for sure, and might just be a feel thing, they might actually be better. Regardless, the trying to kill you thing is real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiyTLUae20
    2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
      Rivals definitely are fast but they feel greasy. The thing that I don't like about them is that I felt they don't give as good a mix of lateral and longitudinal grip at the same time compared to the RS3's - This is very dependent on your driving style for sure, and might just be a feel thing, they might actually be better. Regardless, the trying to kill you thing is real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiyTLUae20
      Ujjwal,

I think you need more keys on that keychain, you don't have enough there to pull a JohnP and shut off your engine automatically around every corner.. LOL
      President, Co-Founder
      http://www.spda-online.ca
      sigpic
      SPDA, Bringing "Racing to Racers"!
      2003 CSP Champion, 2004 FSP Champion,
      2005 FSP Champion, 2006 FSP Champion
      Supported by the greatest companies!!
      Click me to see the companies supporting grass roots motorsports!!

Comment

I
        I screwed up my competition laps at the shootout (played safe for the first few rounds, left me too 'cold' when I had to dial it up for the last few), but lapped a half second faster on the RS3's in colder conditions and a poorly chosen brake pad set up than I could on the Rivals (at Event 2).

I say the 'kooks are faster, easier to drive and far less scary.
        Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

I've run on RS3s for the past two seasons and I've done well on them. They're the only street tire I've ever run on so it's hard to compare them to other street tires. All I can say is that they're no match for a R-compound like NT01s or RA1s. While the RS3 and other street tires may better optimize many cars for OTA, I'm going back to the rock solid reliability and predictability of R-comps.
          CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
          sigpic
          Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT View Post
            Ujjwal,

I think you need more keys on that keychain, you don't have enough there to pull a JohnP and shut off your engine automatically around every corner.. LOL
            I think that the keys are Ujjwals version of a trunk monkey.
            sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
            OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

I ran RS3s for the last 2 seasons with the supercharger = +75 RWHP.

Ran Rivals this year and was faster everywhere sometimes by as much as 4%. For me the Rivals helped my confidence level tremendously so I could attack corners more aggressively. Difference was the ability to feel the limit of adhesion. RS3s didn't signal me at the limit but Rivals do. I can maintain acceptable slip angles much easier at either end with the Rivals.

Likely a driving style difference, remember I have less torque than a good Miata.
              Gary Wood:
              GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

I have no idea what to pick for next year now lol

Comment

Fun fact for those that didn't realize, all five cars in the shootout ran a different tire. RS3, Rival, ZII, NT01's and R888's.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
                    I think that the keys are Ujjwals version of a trunk monkey.
                    Yes, all SPDA'ers have one, they come in many shapes and sizes. Mine is cognisant of the era of my car, and my musical tastes.

Originally posted by JoeT View Post
                    Ujjwal,

That is hilarious, I can't even imagine how that happened. I don't think I could do that if I tried.
                    2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

If you want an RS3, but with better cold grip and better rain performance, then look no further than the Dunlop ZII! It was a gamble to get these tires before the shootout but I think I proved that they are just as capable of winning as the Rival or RS3, so combine that with being the best all around tire...what more could you ask for??
                      Corey Whiteman

Comment

I didn't actually compete at all on mine, but I found my ZII's to be great tires... both daily on the street (loud on the highway...), auto x and lapping. They're quiet, but you can feel them about to let go before it's too late.

I need a better alignment to get the most out of the tires (front especially!), but on stock suspension and stock alignment they have a ton of grip.

Comment

Originally posted by iamthewheelman View Post
                          Fun fact for those that didn't realize, all five cars in the shootout ran a different tire. RS3, Rival, ZII, NT01's and R888's.
                          In the end it's not the car or the tire, it's the car/tire/driver combination - with emphasis on the driver.
                          CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                          sigpic
                          Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

I was a big fan of the RS3 (corded 2 sets on my Cobalt) untill I tried the Z2's on the the Lancer...
                            I am definitely getting another set of Z2's for next year Great tire!
                            03 Corvette Z06

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                              I was a big fan of the RS3 (corded 2 sets on my Cobalt) untill I tried the Z2's on the the Lancer...
                              I am definitely getting another set of Z2's for next year Great tire!
                              Lancer? EVO?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X