R-Comps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-Comps?

I have now completed three seasons in OTA and I'm reasonably happy with my improvement to date. I've used three different street tires so far, Pirelli, NT05 and ZII. Before I retire my ride I'd be very interested in trying R-comps. Probably NT01's. I know some say the modern street class tires are very close to R-comp performance. Others swear by R-comps only. For those that have gone this route, any advice? Is there any lap time gain I can count on just from switching to R-comps? (I'd be moving up one class, so need to be a little faster).
    Already thinking about next season! Thanks.
    Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
    OTA Director 2015
    ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Re: R-Comps?

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
    I have now completed three seasons in OTA and I'm reasonably happy with my improvement to date. I've used three different street tires so far, Pirelli, NT05 and ZII. Before I retire my ride I'd be very interested in trying R-comps. Probably NT01's. I know some say the modern street class tires are very close to R-comp performance. Others swear by R-comps only. For those that have gone this route, any advice? Is there any lap time gain I can count on just from switching to R-comps? (I'd be moving up one class, so need to be a little faster).
    Already thinking about next season! Thanks.
    Nt01's are a waste, if you're going r-comp you have to go hankook td in soft compound! That's by far the fastest tire in the segment
    sigpic

Comment

Speaking of R Comps.......would the domestic market Yoko A048 be classified a street tire or R comp?

I'm curious as I'm thinking about doing a select few OTA events next year and I'm trying to work through classing my car.

Rob

Comment

Been reading allot on these tires and by the looks of it, they would fit into the non-premium R's class because they have moulded groves.

I for one am seriously considering moving to r-comps, mainly because I plan to do a split season of OTA and GT Challenge and my car will definitely not be setup for streets...

Love to hear more feedback from people on this subject!
        Corey Whiteman

Comment

Originally posted by KLZEMX6 View Post
          Nt01's are a waste, if you're going r-comp you have to go hankook td in soft compound! That's by far the fastest tire in the segment
          I can't speak for the hankook tire, but I disagree on the NT-01. I have been running them for 2 seasons now and they work very well on the Mustang. They are perhaps not the fastest, but they are also not the most expensive and last longer than most other R-Comps. They are a very good all-round tire that can work for autoslalom or road courses and IMO are an excellent bang for the buck. We also use the Kumho V710 which is an excellent tire but quite a bit more expensive. From research, the Hankook R6 is likely the best dedicated road course tire but I have never used it.

We get the NT-01 from Discount Tire Direct shipped to the closest spot across the border from you (they are not allowed to ship into Canada). As I understand it, Kumho is not sending any more V710's to Canada either, so they may have to be sourced from Tire Rack.
          '01 Mustang Bullitt
          '07 Acura TL-S
          '10 F150 S/Crew

Comment

Keep in mind that for a good balance and maximum effect you’d need much stiffer springs (and dampers to go along with em). Otherwise you’re only going to get marginal increase in performance.

One of the reasons street tires have been so popular, people arn't sprung stiff enough for the r-comps they slapped on before.... and why (among other things) mohammed is so blazingly fast on his NT01s
            Last edited by thgear; 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM.
            set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Kelly, go with either the Yokohama A048's or the Hoosier R6's. You might want to consider the A050`s. Available in the States only but we might be able to make them available.
              Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
              Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
              Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

Originally posted by OTA Director View Post
                Kelly, go with either the Yokohama A048's or the Hoosier R6's. You might want to consider the A050`s. Available in the States only but we might be able to make them available.
                a050's are not available in the u.s. but the td's are and are a very similar tire to the a050
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
                  Keep in mind that for a good balance and maximum effect you’d need much stiffer springs (and dampers to go along with em). Otherwise you’re only going to get marginal increase in performance.
                  Good point. I am on stock shocks/springs, with upgraded sway bars and front camber. If I do change class and have pips to use, maybe I should be staying on good street tires (I like my ZII's) and upgrade suspension instead. Decisions.......lots of time b4 next season though.
                  Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
                  OTA Director 2015
                  ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Yokohama will be releasing their AD08R in the very near future, so stay tuned for updated information.
                    Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
                    Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
                    Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

What Serge said about the suspension stiffness is spot on. The only time RS3s behave like an R-comp on my stiffly sprung suspension is in a moderately high ambient temprature range (between 25 and 30 degrees). Even then I had to run them at high pressure (40+ PSI) to get near R-comp performance and they were adequate for the most part. My issue with RS3s is their lack of performance in cooler weather made me loose confidence in their grip and most likely cost me a few tenths, maybe as much as half a second at the DDT in June and for the Shootout.

During the Shootout I had just run my best lap so far and the ambient temperature felt warm and was seemingly inching toward 25 degrees - anything above 20 degrees was welcome. When the partial cloud cover came out the ambient temperature dropped into the high teens and my event was technically over. I am convinced that I could have fared better on R-comps even one class up even against Mohamed - not to win the event but for a respectable finish at least. Before the event I was disappointed that competitors had to run in a class they had run in during the season (I only ran in T1 on streets). Thus I knew the potential for cold weather would make the DDT very slick for me - and it did. But hey that's racing!
                      CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                      sigpic
                      Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Will 048R be a R compound or Premium R. When will they be available?

JohnP

Comment

Originally posted by John P View Post
                          Will 048R be a R compound or Premium R. When will they be available?

JohnP
                          ad08R will be a street tire as fast as I know
                          sigpic

Comment

Kelly, I believe you can also get Toyo RA-1s in your sizes from the USA, i.e the same ones used in the American Iron series.

OTOH, neither the RA-1 or NT-01 are wickedly fast R comps (although better than 888s IMO) and there seems to be a relative shortage of choices in 5 PIP non premium R comps.
                            Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Carguy View Post
                              What Serge said about the suspension stiffness is spot on. The only time RS3s behave like an R-comp on my stiffly sprung suspension is in a moderately high ambient temprature range (between 25 and 30 degrees). Even then I had to run them at high pressure (40+ PSI) to get near R-comp performance and they were adequate for the most part. My issue with RS3s is their lack of performance in cooler weather made me loose confidence in their grip and most likely cost me a few tenths, maybe as much as half a second at the DDT in June and for the Shootout.

During the Shootout I had just run my best lap so far and the ambient temperature felt warm and was seemingly inching toward 25 degrees - anything above 20 degrees was welcome. When the partial cloud cover came out the ambient temperature dropped into the high teens and my event was technically over. I am convinced that I could have fared better on R-comps even one class up even against Mohamed - not to win the event but for a respectable finish at least. Before the event I was disappointed that competitors had to run in a class they had run in during the season (I only ran in T1 on streets). Thus I knew the potential for cold weather would make the DDT very slick for me - and it did. But hey that's racing!
                              I'm not sure if it's the case for you at all, but a shop in California did some extensive testing on the FRS/BRZ platform and found that in some conditions going with a narrower tire with RS3's was actually faster for a single fast lap because they could keep enough heat in the tire for optimal grip (225's vs 245's). In an endurance format it wouldn't hold up the same, but just another factor in the equation.

Comment

Working...
                              X