Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R-Comps?

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the case for you at all, but a shop in California did some extensive testing on the FRS/BRZ platform and found that in some conditions going with a narrower tire with RS3's was actually faster for a single fast lap because they could keep enough heat in the tire for optimal grip (225's vs 245's). In an endurance format it wouldn't hold up the same, but just another factor in the equation.
    Interesting.
    I run with 275's, but some tires I've considered only come in 265's, which may not be a bad thing then....
    Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
    OTA Director 2015
    ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
      Interesting.
      I run with 275's, but some tires I've considered only come in 265's, which may not be a bad thing then....
      you're also around 700 pounds heavier than an FRS
      set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
        you're also around 700 pounds heavier than an FRS
        True. The smallest I'd go is 265's. Will very likely stay with 275's. Happy with them.
        By the way, quite like the FRS!
        Maybe once I retire the Mustang?
        Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
        OTA Director 2015
        ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

My experience is that a higher powered and/or heavier car has no problem getting heat into RS3s and the opposite issue is true, ie.that they overheat pretty quickly. This lead to 2 offs at SMP Pro for me (BEFORE the rain). If you remember it was a hot day on SMP Full track the next day and for every session for me at least,the first lap of a run was always the fastest. I really doubt you would want to run a smaller tire with your car with the possible exception of CTMP where you might try to reduce rolling resistance.

OTOH, maybe a one lap wonder might be the answer for you.
          Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

With all the heat at SMP Full in the last couple years I would be surprised if any tire got faster after lap 1.
            03 Z06 #72
            15 Prius V

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
              With all the heat at SMP Full in the last couple years I would be surprised if any tire got faster after lap 1.
              At least 2 drivers on Rivals were often faster later in their runs than on the first lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                At least 2 drivers on Rivals were often faster later in their runs than on the first lap.
                In my case, that was getting over the fear that the tires were going to spit me off the track.
                Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                  You should buy some Rivals- best tire ever made!
                  Corey Whiteman

Comment

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
                    In my case, that was getting over the fear that the tires were going to spit me off the track.
                    Get used to it my friend. It's called driving on the ragged edge to earn a class win!
                    CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                    sigpic
                    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
                      Barry, did you find they were unpredictable or that when they let go, they were hard to recover?

Comment

I used them for a weekend and found they liked high pressure. They could handle a bit of slip, and liked throttle down to pull out of it.
                        sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Working...
                        X