Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to get the lap times from competition on Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it possible to get the lap times from competition on Sunday?

Originally posted by Fubawu View Post
    Barry I don't think the shoot out has any
    bearing on the season totals. I think it was
    more of a playoff to have a single Champion

If this is not the case there is a bigger issue
    with the timing mistake. Truth be told it really
    makes the event void. The positive to the finish
    is Corey won and he was also very dominate
    in the regular season. So from that stand point
    things worked out.
    I'd hope so John. There isn't even a consensus in the results on how many heats I made it through, never mind the times I ran. I don't even appear on the final results.

I appreciate the difficulties Perry. You guys got ran ragged there trying to make it to your own heats, do timing, enter data, etc. We all appreciate the great efforts of the timing crew, but it seems too much was left to unchecked manual input here and the disparities leave a big question mark (to my mind at least) over the results.

I'm very glad there wasn't an upset on the number 1 spot, like the shootout was designed to create an opportunity for.
    Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by ONdriver View Post

I would be more than happy to explain things in more detail at the upcoming workshop (if somebody buys me a beer!).

Perry
      I'll buy you a beer Perry! Hell, I'll get you drunk after all your hard work these past few seasons.
      Last edited by Carguy; 10-07-2013, 07:56 AM.
      CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
      sigpic
      Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

I think for next season we should do away with the quick start orders for each heat. This will allow time to double check results, even if we look at pax results and I know that is tricky in itself.

My issue was I was eliminated heading into one of the final rounds but since I was the final car on track(i.e. in the #1 position?) I could not double check my time after. I would have noticed that other cars in my class advanced even though they had slower times.

Again I don't want this to be a knock against the crew doing the timing as they had to work overtime. It reminded me of the opening bell on the TSX. This was due to the pace needed to get the next heat out.

It's funny though because with my gripping I will still say the shootout was my favourite event on the season!
        Last edited by Fubawu; 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM.
        Porsche 1971 911S VARAC

Comment

Originally posted by Fubawu View Post
          It's funny though because with my gripping I will still say the shootout was my favourite event on the season!
          That sucks that you and Barry got knocked out when you shouldn't have. I'm sure the lessons learned this year will help the people doing the operations to do it correctly next year. Thanks guys for taking the bullet ! For what it's worth, 3 or 4 of my lap times are wrong on the results as well.

I am not a fan of the shootout from a competitor point of view, but from a spectator point of view, it's a great success. Must practice more autocross and build those nerves of steel required to turn on at a moments beckoning!
          2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

All. The errors in the reported information on the website results are my errors as were the couple that were made on the day itself. Barry, we have your times. I will revisit all of the information today and give them to Chuck to upload by tomorrow.

My most humble apologies to everyone for the hardships I have caused.

We learned a lot of lessons and this will not happen again in the future.
            Last edited by Gwoody27; 10-07-2013, 11:03 AM.
            Gary Wood:
            GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Gary, it is not a mjaor issue at all. Again this was all in fun and I still think
              it was one of the best events of the year. Mistakes had to happen as it was a first time thing. Next year if we take a few more minutes between rounds it will take the pressure off the timing crew. We all know it is not an easy job for the OTA crew. Thanks again for all the help!
              Porsche 1971 911S VARAC

Comment

Gary, I could never be mad at you bud!

Well, expect I got no coveted Change Crafter's mug....

Don't let the internet forum nature of things amplify my beef here. It's been a fantastic season, shootout was fun, some hiccups were had.

I think it's too much to ask of any of us to do manual data input and interrogate spreadsheets at the breakneck pace the event ran at.
                Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Thanks men. Next year will be spot on.
                  Gary Wood:
                  GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Well said Barry! See you guys at the banquet
                    Porsche 1971 911S VARAC

Comment

Raw Times and PAX times have been revised and posted here:

http://www.casc.on.ca/timeattack_results

Gary, Perry and myself have analysed the one short coming with the Shootout Event. The issue has been identified and steps have been taken to make sure that the same problem doesn't happen next year.

The one problem that may have caused this issue in the first place was created by the vast majority of competitors. A starting grid had been established and competitors were asked to line up in that order before the first car was to be let out on the track. Competitors were to come back into the pits encircling the Bridgstone building and stay in the original order. They were not to leave the grid at any time. For whatever reason that didn't happen. They could have been disqualified but were not. As starter I was constantly, with the help of Derrick and Trevor, looking for cars arranged in the proper order. We basically had to ad lib with the ones that were present at the time. The timers were expecting certain competitors and they received different ones from pit out. As Perry indicated it was a manual system transferring data from the timing software to Gary's spreadsheet and the complexity was compounded by the wrong track order from the grid.

The expectations of competitors were outlined in the supp regs, at the drivers' meeting and via the PA system.

From my perspective, I am absolutely amazed that there weren't more errors than the two indicated in this thread.
                      Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
                      Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
                      Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

Working...
                      X