Need clarification on seat belt ruleings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need clarification on seat belt ruleings

Looking for a clarification on the rules for installing a 5 point harness into a non-convertible/ removable top car.
    Checked some of the past rulings but was looking for a definitive answer for this year.
    I'm looking to see if it is necessary to install roll over protection in a car that does not needed to have roll over protection installed if a 5 point harness is installed.
    If this is the case I would like to know which ruling covers this, as I have looked through the rule book for this year and it is not clear as to which part covers this.
    Again, if it is necessary to have roll over protection to have a 5 point harness is a roll bar enough to satisfy the requirements for roll over protection.

Thank you.

Re: Need clarification on seat belt ruleings

If you run a 5 point harness you must have a roll bar or roll cage regardless of the car in question. If you do not have a roll bar or cage only the factory 3 point belts are allowed. Is this what you are asking clarification on?

P.s. I ran my factory three point belt with a fixed back racing seat and found it to be more than adequate for holding me in place.

Comment

That does helps. Would be nice to see it in the rule book with more clarity.
      the 3 point in the Fiero doesn't lock up tight enough for my liking.

Just wondering now where I can get a roll bar for a Fiero in the next 2 weeks.

Comment

You can try giving Scott at can-alignment a call @ 905-690-3100 but he might be busy as the season is starting soon.
        "Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
        sigpic

Comment

Looking through the rules again and I am now wondering what it means by "an approved 4 point harness" 1.1.1
          What does the approval need to be?

Comment

Originally posted by 85FieroNotch View Post
            Looking through the rules again and I am now wondering what it means by "an approved 4 point harness" 1.1.1
            What does the approval need to be?
            Thats a good question, I am not a rules or tech guy but I would assume the only acceptable 4 point would be a Schroth (sp?) ASM 4 point belt. But even then I would not recomend a 4 point belt under any circumstances.

Comment

That is the only belt I had found that seams to qualify as a 4 point. Did some reading and yeah, their not that great.
              Might be able to put in the lap belts only as it seems that is allowable. 1.1.2 iii.
              That would be sufficient for feel of being held in the seat.

Comment

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
                _____
                BMW E30 (#84) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)

Comment

Leaf race wear in London makes lap belts. Specify bolt in instead of clip on for stock cars.
                  sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                  OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

That CG lock doesn't work on the style of stock seat belts in the Fiero.

Would using the lap belts from a full harness set work for lap belts?

Comment

Yes, I've done that. on top of the OE three point.
                      sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                      OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

4 point belts must be DOT approved. These typically have a break-away section that will lengthen one of the shoulder straps in case the roof collapses, and your head & body are pushed to one side.

They do a good job holding you in place, but are no safer than a 3 point.
                        sigpic
                        Rob McAuley
                        TAC President

Comment

Working...
                        X