No announcement yet.

New DDT track configs for OTA weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DDT track configs for OTA weekend?

So it seems from the (non CCW) track day vids that I've seen that the kink is still an optional feature on the new DDT.

Are we planning to do as before and run one day kinky and one day straight? Little variety at the weekend is always nice
    Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Re: New DDT track configs for OTA weekend?

Yes, that is the plan. 2 kinks on Saturday and no kinks on Sunday.

OTOH, if weather looks to be uncooperative, that may have to change.

I'm with you, variety is good.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

I attended at touge.ca lapping day at the DDT where the 2 kinks layout was used. While the kink en lieu of turn 1 adds a nice variety to the beginning of the lap, the 2nd kink on the back straight makes for a significant reduction in speed and makes the 2nd half of the circuit rather 'Mickey Mouse'. I would encourage the organizers to consider not using this 2nd kink; it's slow, off camber, greasy with little running, and feels very clumsy.
      Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Campbell View Post
        I attended at touge.ca lapping day at the DDT where the 2 kinks layout was used. While the kink en lieu of turn 1 adds a nice variety to the beginning of the lap, the 2nd kink on the back straight makes for a significant reduction in speed and makes the 2nd half of the circuit rather 'Mickey Mouse'. I would encourage the organizers to consider not using this 2nd kink; it's slow, off camber, greasy with little running, and feels very clumsy.
        Have you run it without the kink in the back straight? That right hand "bend" mid straight is pretty bumpy and tighter than it looks. The braking zone for the last turns comes up fast too.

I like it without the kink, but keeping the kink in for the first event will definitely keep things safer.

Comment

Originally posted by greg campbell View Post
          i attended at touge.ca lapping day at the ddt where the 2 kinks layout was used. While the kink en lieu of turn 1 adds a nice variety to the beginning of the lap, the 2nd kink on the back straight makes for a significant reduction in speed and makes the 2nd half of the circuit rather 'mickey mouse'. I would encourage the organizers to consider not using this 2nd kink; it's slow, off camber, greasy with little running, and feels very clumsy.
          +1
          CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
          sigpic
          Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Campbell View Post
            I absolutely disagree. The kink on the return is a brilliant feature where the fast way is not necessarily intuitive and would have been hard to find in that zoo that was Touge.ca. My data logs show over 1 g peak cornering grip at every part of this feature - same as everywhere else on the track. I expected to dislike it but found it interesting and challenging. There is half a second in this feature alone if you get it right.
            James Mewett
            CCC Lurker

Comment

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
              Have you run it without the kink in the back straight? That right hand "bend" mid straight is pretty bumpy and tighter than it looks. The braking zone for the last turns comes up fast too.
              I have run both configurations. You are correct that even without the 2nd kink the back straight isn't fully straight and in many cars will not be fully flat (notwithstanding those of us with much longer ring than index fingers).

While the changes to the DDT are a big improvement, one of the benefits of the old layout was the versatility in course; CW/CCW 1/2 kinks etc. This versatility has been somewhat lost now the the track is more grown up. There is certainly some options to use, but I would rather drive a better course for two days than deal with a less than the best course for the sake of variety.

Just my two cents, but I'm fine with running two days back to back of the same set up. A lot can change overnight; track conditions, bravery, change of competitors, set up changes. After all, we do only get ~6 competition runs per day to get it right.
              Greg.

Comment

If I had a 'vette, I'd probably want 0k both days too
                Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by James Mewett View Post
                  I absolutely disagree. The kink on the return is a brilliant feature where the fast way is not necessarily intuitive and would have been hard to find in that zoo that was Touge.ca. My data logs show over 1 g peak cornering grip at every part of this feature - same as everywhere else on the track. I expected to dislike it but found it interesting and challenging. There is half a second in this feature alone if you get it right.
                  I agree that the kink on the return is a good feature. It presents an additional challenge of getting that section correct and the other thing is it may not be that much slower than running the full back straight with no kink. I found I was hitting a higher top speed in the kinked format as compared to the no kink format but this may be due to my ring finger not being way longer than my index finger as I heard some guy was hitting 170kmh up that straight in the no kink format.
                  "Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by haikara2308 View Post
                    I agree that the kink on the return is a good feature. It presents an additional challenge of getting that section correct and the other thing is it may not be that much slower than running the full back straight with no kink. I found I was hitting a higher top speed in the kinked format as compared to the no kink format but this may be due to my ring finger not being way longer than my index finger as I heard some guy was hitting 170kmh up that straight in the no kink format.
                    I was just brushing the rev limiter in 3rd with the kink this past Saturday, which is roughly 135km/h.

Comment

I was just brushing the rev limiter in 3rd with the kink this past Saturday, which is roughly 135km/h.
                      I'm doing around that speed too in third when I enter the braking zone.
                      "Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
                      sigpic

Comment

My fastest lap of the timed session was 150km/h on the west straight with the kink, but I was over-cautious in my shift points. Should be 153ish if I push 3rd and 4th to higher revs. Should easily be 180+ I would guess without the kink if I have the balls to stay in the throttle the whole time. That's a bit higher than the old DDT which had a less direct transition to the west section, but nothing too drastic.

Additional challenge being, the turn for the front straight is earlier than before now that the kink is there. So we arrive at the kink faster, go over the crest faster, and have less time to brake. Cool!

It's an interesting element, the SW kink. It used to be straight forward on the old track (at least after I followed James Mewett through it), but they made the crest so much more severe now... it's interesting. I need time with it. Or just to follow James again.

Ideal lap time based on my three timed laps from Sunday was 1:37.05. I did not achieve that.

I would like to see the NE kink used for both days.
                        sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Working...
                        X