Event 1&2 Vid Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event 1&2 Vid Thread

Sorry I missed yesterday guys. Sarah was sick so I had to stay home and look after the little guy.

Here's my efforts from event # 1 (final lap, as always!):

http://youtu.be/e8sXOq5tMHE

May be a Miata, but it doesn't drive anything like my old one. Still have a bit to learn about how this one wants to be driven.
    Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Re: Event 1&2 Vid Thread

We figured that you probably had parental relief duties keeping you away from the track yesterday. As a result Rob H. and I continued our 2nd place battle for 1st place this time. Unfortunately my Go Pro suction cup refused to hold the camera in place yesterday so I have no Sunday footage. Between that and consistently forgetting to turn that damn thing on I have no video of Saturday either. For now all I can say is that I think I found the "much coveted" Event #2 Class Winner sticker you neglected to pick up.
    Last edited by Carguy; 06-09-2014, 05:45 PM.
    CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
    sigpic
    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Here is my video from event 1. I forgot my go-pro in the car, so I will upload the one from yesterday at a later date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9NGyB_UF8

EDIT

Here is the event 2 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poz5...ature=youtu.be
      Last edited by ScubaSteve8; 06-09-2014, 11:06 PM.
      Steve Bortolotti
      #82 Mazda RX8

Comment

Originally posted by ScubaSteve8 View Post
        Here is my video from event 1. I forgot my go-pro in the car, so I will upload the one from yesterday at a later date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9NGyB_UF8
        Steve that is a really interesting video. I am surprised that driving the whole lap in 3rd gear (essentially) is optimum. Seems like you are hitting the rev limiter just before the final turn (9300 rpm and about 150 km/h?). I figure with a lot of mechanical grip the two tight left-handers are about 60 km/h, which is about 3600 rpm which seems way off the boil for a Renesis. If you don't mind sharing, why no 2nd gear?

Your car looks really nicely balanced with the limit understeer quite moderate.

Thanks for sharing the video.
        James Mewett
        CCC Lurker

Comment

^^ If his gearing is anything like mine (2nd redlines at ~98km/h), dropping to 2nd for the two left handers in a row (after the triple apex) results in either short shifting between the two corners, shifting mid corner on the 2nd one, or riding the limiter until you've straightened out.

I find the only corner that I can drop to 2nd and not have any awkwardly placed shift into 3rd is the furthest south right hander.

Comment

I yielded substantially slower lap times by shifting into 2nd for the turn 3 left-hander which is the only corner I really thought I needed the extra ooomph. I'll be the first to admit, my manual transmission driving skills were a bit rusty this weekend, as I literally finished the car Friday night, and didn't get comfortable enough with how hard the new pads were grabbing to be able to heal-toe on that corner without slowing down too much. I think once I make the pads grab less initially, there is more time to be had by going to 2nd. But for this past weekend, that was the best I could do to optimize what I had.

As for coming up the back straight, this was the ONLY lap all day that I didn't shift into 4th gear going through there. After I got loose in the SW chicaine, I didn't think I had enough of a head of steam coming through there to warrant shifting into 4th once it hit the rev-limiter.

The lowest the RPM's got on a good lap were about 4500rpm. Remember, this car has 17's on it, and a 4.77 rear gear...it winds up through its power band really well.
            Last edited by ScubaSteve8; 06-09-2014, 11:04 PM.
            Steve Bortolotti
            #82 Mazda RX8

Comment

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
              ^^ If his gearing is anything like mine (2nd redlines at ~98km/h), dropping to 2nd for the two left handers in a row (after the triple apex) results in either short shifting between the two corners, shifting mid corner on the 2nd one, or riding the limiter until you've straightened out.

I find the only corner that I can drop to 2nd and not have any awkwardly placed shift into 3rd is the furthest south right hander.
              Yep shift down to 2nd entering the triple apex, then hitting the rev limiter at or just before the third apex, then short shit into third with a quick stab/hold on the throttle, then right back down to second before the second left hander, then a gradual roll on the throttle on exit, then shift into third just after turn in toward the second left hander. That's a busy complex. Barry's video shows the sequence. Great drive Steve and congrats to Barry on the T1 win!
              Last edited by Carguy; 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM.
              CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
              sigpic
              Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

And now for something completely different...

Dwarf car run 1

A very scruffy assortment of laps from Event 1 - but on the bright side there's loads of lap time to be harvested on the next visit. Really enjoyed the new track layout even if it is a bit SLOW (140k max) - it was a great day!

Beware the sound on this video, as the camera is positioned right above the world's noisiest fuel pump.
                Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Originally posted by ScubaSteve8 View Post
                  Love watching your shifter move around. Surprised you can find it when you need it.

I did find a downside to the new cage and passenger seat... Can't find a decent location behind me for a camera mount! There's gussets, bars, or a seat in the way!
                  sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                  OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Working...
                  X