OTA Calendar - Space for Calabogie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OTA Calendar - Space for Calabogie?

Calabogie is a must drive track. If it's not on your list, then you've overlooked a great venue. This track is on par with CTMP (Mosport) and Watkins Glen. It is a step beyond SMP, TMP, and GBM. As such, it is worth the money and absolutely worth the drive.

Chuck, I'm glad to hear that you've got it on the agenda! Well done!
    sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

As Barry alluded, its not either/or, they are both different and excellent tracks and both should be on everyones "must drive" list.

Glad Greg made the post to get the discussion going and Chuck's commitment to raise the issue and try get Calabogie back on the OTA calendar.
      Matt C
      OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Hi All,

I am not a Time Attack participant, but I do know CMP well . I am the Lapping Director for MCO. I would be happy to brainstorm with the committee about how best to host an event that would be manageable for all.

I am confident we could get new participants from eastern Ontario, and western Quebec.

And a little plug for our July 21 event. If you haven't driven the track, this would be a good chance. Come for the pm session. You could leave TO around 6 am and make it with some time to spare.

Rob

Comment

Interesting discussion. Just went there this past weekend with BMW Club of Ottawa and had lots of fun. The track is no doubt top notch. Technical corners combined with lots of elevation and camber changes will require smooth driving techniques! Facility is fantastic as well hands down.

Getting back to the topic, OTA positioned itself as a premier time attack series in Ontario should consider adding (or re-adding?) CMP to its calendar down the road. Distance is a consideration, but with enough hype and perhaps tweaking of the rule book that forces more commitment, it shouldn't be a major issue. Furthermore, once people start to realize that it is an awesome track, hopefully this issue would abate as we build up core support.

While I was there for the BMW school, the CalabogieGT race series run from 5 PM to 7 PM. In fact, CMP have marshals working around the clock from 9 AM to 7 PM. So from a cost perspective, one idea is to partner with a local track day organizer such as 1morelap or the abovementioned race series to partake in the OTA event or share the day to reduce cost.

Last but not least, Mistakes will WRECK CARS at CMP and I think a school on Saturday could be a good idea if majority of the competitors have no experience there. This of course brings problems of its own...

Personally, I am down for CMP if OTA host a weekend event there (In fact, it's so much fun, I will try to go back to CMP in August for another weekend of lapping). Hopefully we can gather momentum now and have this track added in the future. And should we really aim to have this track added as a regular venue, I feel the current OTA format may need to be modified to adapt to its idiosyncrasies.
          Jonathan Liu
          #60 BMW E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by xyz999 View Post
            And should we really aim to have this track added as a regular venue, I feel the current OTA format may need to be modified to adapt to its idiosyncrasies.
            Jonathan, please go on....what OTA format mods? what idiosyncrasies?
            Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
            OTA Director 2015
            ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

I think OTA needs to add CMP to the calendar. The track is a drive from Toronto but well worth the trip and the time.
              This is a different experience the MIR but certainly as satisfying on so many levels when it comes to driving.
              I would commit to go for both days.
              Now CrITical Inc.
              Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

Has the Comittee landed on a format/schedule etc. for an OTA partnered event at Calabogie? The reason I ask is that there is an MCO lapping day this month (September 21st) which would be a good time to begin to advertise for next year.
                Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Campbell View Post
                  Has the Comittee landed on a format/schedule etc. for an OTA partnered event at Calabogie? The reason I ask is that there is an MCO lapping day this month (September 21st) which would be a good time to begin to advertise for next year.
                  Our next OTA meeting is on September 11th. A decision will hopefully be made at that time.

Track scheduling is difficult to say the least so putting together a final schedule takes a while. With that said I hope to have a 2015 schedule available by the our formal awards banquet on November 15th.
                  Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
                  Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
                  Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

Originally posted by xyz999 View Post
                    Last but not least, Mistakes will WRECK CARS at CMP and I think a school on Saturday could be a good idea if majority of the competitors have no experience there. This of course brings problems of its own...
                    This is true of any track (well maybe less so at SMP). I've been off at the bottom of corner 2 a CTMP, hit the tires at 82mph. Car needed repairs for sure.
                    #119 BMW 328

Comment

The subject has been broached with me and is on the agenda. It will be discussed this Sunday at the track with the current lapping director, myself, and some others. MCO did already host the solo 1 championships already a few years back when I was president of the club. Between Craig Seko and myself we made that happen. We can make an event again. There is a lot to do though. Stay tuned .
                      Pat McDermott
                      OSCC.

Comment

I would suggest seeing if there can be a test and tune or additional track time the Friday before; If I'm going to haul out to there, I'd want to maximize my time on the track; Are open lapping days typical on a Friday at CB?

Comment

Yes, Calabogie has open lapping quite often in fact. I was there over 50 times this summer

Comment

Working...
                          X