X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIL – OTA Shootout

1. Yes Virginia, miracles do happen
    2. A faster car > a slower track
    3. Sometimes you need to lift. Unless you want to eat a tire barrier.
    4. Shootout participants are not intimidated by cones.
    5. Don't make drastic setup changes just before a pressure cooker shootout.
    6. If you think you are going to James Hunt (re: puke) there are two things you need to plan out. The distance to the nearest trash can. And how quickly a helmet can be removed.
    7. Having your family there to watch is actually really comforting; it's your own little cheering squad. Some members are 'littler' than others.
    8. Time Attack with 5 year old RS3s is like watching your dad dance. He gets it done, but there are much less painful ways of going about your business.
    9. DDT fuel usage is as near as makes no difference equal to MIR fuel usage.

Thank you to the organizing team, OTA volunteers, marshals, and participants for putting on a great show today. Cheaper than a movie (if you ignore the cost of fuel, tires, brakes, etc.... ok so it's not cheap).

Congratulations to the podium. Corey, and Erik; I can't think of anyone else I would rather lose to. And the Dark Horse Andrew for being the surprise of the day.

Next year....
    Last edited by Chuck Atkins; 08-10-2014, 01:39 PM. Reason: Addition
    Greg.

Re: WIL – OTA Shootout

Congratulations to our podium winners:

Gold = Erik Dalla Riva
    Silver = Andrew Van de Peer
    Bronze = Corey Whiteman

4th Place = Greg Campbell

An excellent finish to a great 2014 season. This year's Shootout was both physically and emotionally draining for all involved. The primary purpose behind the shootout is to reward those competitors who remain loyal to OTA by competing in at least 5 of the 7 events. The secondary purpose is to give as many competitors as possible the opportunity to be crowned the Overall Champion in an event that requires a concentrated focus on laying down that perfect lap over a series of elimination rounds. To make it to the actual podium requires both excellent driving skills and a car that continues to work perfectly.

In the early rounds there were a number of competitors who took themselves out of the the competition by going "4 wheels off". As the rounds progressed PAX times eliminated the remainder. To get to the final 8 required 5 pressure cooked elimination rounds. To determine the medal winners took another 3 rounds.

I would like to thank all of the competitors (37) who started the day and provided us all with a very entertaining and suspenseful event. The entire competiton event was flag free as everyone concentrated on both their driving and the rules (especially not running down the car in front during the warm up lap).

I would also like to thank our Registrar, Gary Wood, for all of his efforts both during the day and in advance for the actual planning of the run groups, competitor emailings, etc. Perry Rautanen, our Chief Timer, for the very timely and accurate results. Ghanim Mirjan and Matt Clough for their assistance in the timing van. Joe Trinidad for putting on a whale of a show as announcer. Derrick Cormier, our Chief Scrutineer, for all of his assistance on the grid. Ford Wood who also assisted on the grid. Kelly Ball for his assistance during the day and at the Awards presentation. Rick Arbour for bringing the water to the event, Dave Barker for picking up the TimBits and John Paczynski for picking up the coffee. The MMS marshals for a great job both in the tower (Andrew) and those at their respective corners. And of course, Janet for a great lunch as usual.

The actual trophies for overall winners and the individual Class Winners will be handed out at the CASC-OR Banquet on November 15th. Specific information to follow at a later date.
    Last edited by Chuck Atkins; 08-11-2014, 08:06 AM. Reason: Addition
    Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
    Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
    Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

1. Its not over, until its over.

2. It takes one mistake to erase an entire season of hard work.

3. Your car can develop issues just sitting in the pits...apparently.

4. Air valve cores can get stuck...

5. Always have a spare wheel/tire with you - see #4.

Thanks to everyone involved with OTA for making it another great season.

Congrats to Erik for the win, Andrew on his awesome 2nd place finish and Greg in 4th - what an awesome 2nd half of the season you had! As far as I am concerned, we had two dark horses Saturday, and one of them almost stole the show. Would have been great to be a spectator.

Have a great off-season everyone!
      Corey Whiteman

Comment

Originally posted by 3wheeler View Post
        1. Its not over, until its over.

2. It takes one mistake to erase an entire season of hard work.

3. Your car can develop issues just sitting in the pits...apparently.

4. Air valve cores can get stuck...

5. Always have a spare wheel/tire with you - see #4.

Thanks to everyone involved with OTA for making it another great season.

Congrats to Erik for the win, Andrew on his awesome 2nd place finish and Greg in 4th - what an awesome 2nd half of the season you had! As far as I am concerned, we had two dark horses Saturday, and one of them almost stole the show. Would have been great to be a spectator.

Have a great off-season everyone!
        You going off were people could see you was definatley a good plan Would have been very much less dramatic if you did that out back track
        sigpicOTA - #95

Comment

#1: Fuel. Fuel helps you go faster.
          #2: See WIL #1.
          #3: MOD2 cars can be top 10 in Pax.
          #4: Give Joe T a mic, and he just never stops talking.
          #5: It was fun to watch the shoot-out last year, but it's even more fun to be in it!
          #6: Need a faster pace between rounds.
          #7: Need a minimum 1 minute warning on the grid.
          #8: It feels better to get eliminated by miscalculating fuel consumption than by running out of driving talent.
          #9: If you have to lose on Saturday, better to win on Sunday.

I learned this a few years ago, so it doesn't make the list, but I get fantastic support from CanJam Motorsports, and they helped me a LOT this weekend. Thanks CanJam, and Trevor for all the help!
          sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
          OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
            and Trevor for all the help!
            What, no love for the guy that turned a whole one lugnut?

I've got over 1800 shots from Saturday, I'm going to do my best to get sorting and editing as fast as I can!

Comment

1. One little mistake and a few crushed cones can knock you out very quickly and early

2. While fun to watch, it’s more fun to compete

3. If you can’t compete anymore and decide to watch for a few hours, make sure you apply sunblock or find some shade

4. Great event and great season, now what to do with the rest of the track season
              sigpic
              Carsten - OTA #276 GT1

Comment

Originally posted by IWannaGoFast View Post
                ... now what to do with the rest of the track season
                You could join MCO at their last Calabogie lapping day Sunday September 21 (www.mco.org).

If we want them to support our attempt at bringing an OTA event at Calabogie, we should consider supporting their events. Plus, if you've never been there before, a low key lapping day is a great opportunity to learn the many technical (and blind) corners.
                Greg.

Comment

4. Great event and great season, now what to do with the rest of the track season
                  I think a bunch of us are planning to run the final Sigma event on September 6th. You should join us!

Thanks everyone for a great season once again, and I look forward to seeing everyone at some other events the rest of the summer!
                  Last edited by ScubaSteve8; 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM.
                  Steve Bortolotti
                  #82 Mazda RX8

Comment

WOW great event, thanks to all who participated and for those who did not make it ..... start planning for next year.

WIL:

1. Great to have a car that actually runs.
                    2. Outstanding people at OTA events makes for a super atmosphere.
                    3. Spectators add a lot to the event., thanks to many spouses in attendance
                    4. So does the voice of CASC - Joe "Speed Talker" Trinidad.
                    5. Could never have done this without Ghanim, what a great guy.
                    6. Now on to 2 days lapping at the Glen

PS: Cold beer in an Ontario 1500 Kossie ... Priceless.
                    Gary Wood:
                    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Another great OTA season:
                      1. Sway bars make a difference (thanks Rob)
                      2. Fresh tires make a difference (thanks Toyo contingency program)
                      3. Camber makes a difference (thanks Pierre for the suggestion and Barry for how to get more)
                      4. A good alignment makes a difference (thanks Scott / Can-Aligment)
                      5. Sometimes it is the car ... see #1-4.
                      6. A good line is critical (thanks Pierre for showing me the way)
                      7. Ride-alongs can be very instructive to see what a lip-stick red girlie car can _really_ do! (thanks Barry)
                      8. Often its the driver (see #5-6)
                      9. A competitive class really helps you go faster ... thanks T1 class of 2014!

A big thanks to everyone that makes OTA happen.

Congratulations to Greg, Corey and Andrew for making it to the final, and Eric for winning the SO ... getting taken out in the final 8 by the SO winner makes getting that far that much sweeter.
                      Last edited by minispeed; 08-12-2014, 05:11 PM.
                      Matt C
                      OTA #38 Miata

Comment

It was a great event, thanks to the great group of volunteers this year. Especially Gary, Ghanim, Perry and Derrick who are at all the events even if not competing.

WIL

1. RS3s are as fast or faster than RA1s or NT01s. There is no debate
                        2. The exit curbing added to DDC is a nice addition
                        3. How can a track that's not wet be soooo slippery for morning practice
                        4. My worries of DDC not being the "Honda" track that it once was have been put to ease
                        5. There is a lot left to learn at DDC...I am looking forward to next year

I was very happy making it to the top eight with the list of drivers present. See you next season!

Andrew

Comment

WIL
                          1. Worn and flipped BFG Rivals suck at the new DDT
                          2. A tire pyrometer doesn't help with #1 above
                          3. I'll take my own advice dial in some negative camber for next season
                          4. The groundhog on the left side of the back straight was fearless
                          5. T1 class was the classiest of all classes this season
                          6. Getting two wheels airborne off a rumble strip can be called "two wheels off" and cause you to ask "wth?"

Congrats...
                          1. to Erik for keeping his cool, using all his driving talent and taking the shootout crown
                          2. to Andrew for thowing all caution to the wind and putting in a very exiting final lap
                          3. to Corey for almost driving a perfect season
                          4. to Greg for driving the wheels off his well prepped Corvette
                          5. and thanks to everyone who helped make this a great OTA season
                          CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                          sigpic
                          Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by ScubaSteve8 View Post
                            I think a bunch of us are planning to run the final Sigma event on September 6th. You should join us!
                            Sounds like fun, I'll try and make it out
                            sigpic
                            Carsten - OTA #276 GT1

Comment

Sounds like fun, I'll try and make it out
                              Do those guys allow non-production vehicles??
                              Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X