CASC Celebration Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CASC Celebration Weekend

I have been doing this since 1982, when I ran my first event in the Castrol Sprints Series at Shannonville. It was the first way that as a young enthusiast, I could get on track and run my car hard. I loved the event and I was hooked. Over the years I have done some Time Attack (back when it was called Solo 1), 1 Autox (not to my liking), some kart racing (best wheel to wheel I have ever experienced) and a lot of road racing wheel to wheel at both the Club and Pro level. Oh and by the way Shaker351, I have also done a ton of big V8 stuff from GT1 cars to running Cup cars around Michigan International Speedway. So I do understand what you are talking about and get the whole big V8 bias, but I just disagree.

To me, its all racing, just some of it is against the clock and some is against other competitors. I have road raced on some tracks that were better suited to Autox and been involved in some wacky stuff. Its all racing, just in different disciplines and each type builds upon the other, but a lot of the skill sets still apply.

The holier than though, OOOHHH We are Road Racers, we are the best drives me nuts. I have seen great drivers plateau at different levels for a variety of reasons I have also seen LeMans level drivers racing in Chumpcar or Autox. its all the same skill sets, just how and why you apply them that makes the difference.

I don't know why anyone would even care about the opportunity for Time Attack people to do a 5 lap stint during Celebration for free. Does it impact you in any way? No, so leave it alone. I think that this is a great effort to try to introduce new people to . That's what we need. In another thread, people are discussing ways to increase head count in Sprints and GT Challenge, so some things are being done and its not right because you get nothing from it. Its small minded thinking like that which limits new competitors. Personally I think its a great first step and the idea of creating videos is a very nice touch.

We should all be saying what a great job is being done versus tearing down the efforts others are making, so, great job CASC Steering Committee I love the efforts at promotion and new driver encouragement with the limited resources available. I hope you have 25 cars out for this 5 lap event, because maybe 15 will stick. These low barrier to entry events, take me all the way back to when I started and they hooked me and may do the same thing for others.

Eric
    Last edited by 23Racer; 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM.
    #23 GT4 Cougar and #24 GT4 RX7

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
      Can we just press the perma-mute button on Shaker now? He's had more than his share of chances.
      And this is how you have an open and frank discussion .I admit that I don't get the allure of time attack and solo but if that is what you want to do great I hope it is a lot of fun .
      My problem comes from the fact that the powers that be don't seem to want to do anything to keep us guys that are already here.

Bryce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by 3wheeler View Post
        Its people like you that ruin any form of motorsports- I would be embarrassed to have you as a participant in my series..

Barry, Kcode is the driver and Shaker is the mechanic...surprised?

Fellow time attackers; I can assure you that this is NOT the mentality of all the W2W competitosrs. Do not let this deter you from helping CASC put together their promotional video.
        Wow you seem to know me and how I think and feel that's a cool trick .people think I have a problem with this video and I don't I just want to know why it is that thing seem to lean towards getting new people and not keeping the ones that are already here
        As for your embarrassment if you give one person that kind of power in your life I feel sorry for you.

Bryce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Kcodekid View Post
          And this is how you have an open and frank discussion .I admit that I don't get the allure of time attack and solo but if that is what you want to do great I hope it is a lot of fun .
          My problem comes from the fact that the powers that be don't seem to want to do anything to keep us guys that are already here.

Bryce Lee
          There is always going to be people leaving any sport for a multitude of reasons, so it is prudent for the sake of existing competitors and organizers to ensure that the sport is sustainable to ensure they are investing in bringing in new competitors.

While I realize not everyone uses AutoX, and Time Attack as stepping stones to race, several people do, and keeping all forms of this sport well populated will only help each group. If entry rates decline and no new blood shows up, prices will go up, more people will leave and the sport will collapse.
          -=Brian=-

Comment

Bryce Lee
            Bryce,
            Statements like this one "My problem comes from the fact that the powers that be don't seem to want to do anything to keep us guys that are already here." only make me realize how out of touch with region racing you really are.
            With all the sponsorship programs we put together, ensuring the clubs follow the rules and keep the 100 minutes of track time you pay for, instituting online registration, photo licensing and annual waivers to make it easier for the "regular" racers to get through registration, (all things the racers have been asking for), the FREE event tickets and race programs, its obvious you really have no clue where it all comes from and how it comes about.
            We will continue to strive to keep racing fun and build the ranks.
            If you want to turn your attention to something more productive for a change, put some thought into how we can build our officials and volunteer base. At the rate of attrition of people getting older and retiring from racing, within 4-5 years you won't be racing at all. We won't have the marshals, stewards, clerks and scrutineers that we rely on so we can have fun.
            Perry Iannuzzi
            Past President
            Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs -Ontario Region

Comment

Perry, I wonder if the issue is that most competitors don't understand how the events are organized and what the CASC is responsible for and can impact and what the organizing club is responsible for and can impact. It might be beneficial for a quick note to delineate where CASC.ON.CA stops and the Event organizing club begins.

There have been a lot of advancements over the last number of years versus when I started, but people ignore them as for most competitors they have always been there. When I started, you paid your entry fee and got a chance to race. You paid for everything yourself. Now there are all the things that you mentioned to assist the competitor. Even though it doesn't seem like it to a number of people, things are a lot better now.

Thanks for bringing up the marshal and admin issue. I have been wondering about that. Back when I ran a couple of events with the EMRA, every competitor had to supply a marshal for the event. I appreciate what we have now a lot. We may have to turn to something like that to run our events in the future.

I want to thank you and everyone on the Board for trying to organize and manage a bunch of us individuals. It must seem like you are trying to herd cats at times.

Eric

sigpic

Comment

what are your demands, exactly? Do you want a free, 1-hour window at an OTA event to do some laps at Mosport? Will that make you happy?
                set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by 23Racer View Post
                  Perry, I wonder if the issue is that most competitors don't understand how the events are organized and what the CASC is responsible for and can impact and what the organizing club is responsible for and can impact. It might be beneficial for a quick note to delineate where CASC.ON.CA stops and the Event organizing club begins.

There have been a lot of advancements over the last number of years versus when I started, but people ignore them as for most competitors they have always been there. When I started, you paid your entry fee and got a chance to race. You paid for everything yourself. Now there are all the things that you mentioned to assist the competitor. Even though it doesn't seem like it to a number of people, things are a lot better now.

Thanks for bringing up the marshal and admin issue. I have been wondering about that. Back when I ran a couple of events with the EMRA, every competitor had to supply a marshal for the event. I appreciate what we have now a lot. We may have to turn to something like that to run our events in the future.

I want to thank you and everyone on the Board for trying to organize and manage a bunch of us individuals. It must seem like you are trying to herd cats at times.

Eric

Eric,
                  We've done this a number of times. In fact we're getting tired of doing it. Paul Einerson, chairman of the ORO, Ontario Race Organizers (the clubs) published awhile back what it costs the clubs to put on a typical race at CTMP. I think the total came up to around $43k + 130 volunteers.
                  Perry Iannuzzi
                  Past President

Comment

Originally posted by Director View Post
                    Eric,
                    We've done this a number of times. In fact we're getting tired of doing it. Paul Einerson, chairman of the ORO, Ontario Race Organizers (the clubs) published awhile back what it costs the clubs to put on a typical race at CTMP. I think the total came up to around $43k + 130 volunteers.
                    Perry, that's not what I am talking about. What I am suggesting is explaining to people what are the responsibilities of the CASC (sanctioning, common rules, licensing, insurance, overall sponsorship packages, etc...) and what the clubs are responsible for (event scheduling, event administration, corner workers, track rents, etc...). People get confused and not understand what the various roles are as it does tend to change over time.

What people also tend to forget is that what you and the Board do is all volunteer time and donated by all of you to keep this thing going. Its not a business for a profit motive, it is done out of all of your wish to see this thing we call CASC motorsports continue.

I am smoking busy and I am sure all of you are as well, so what you guys do is even more of a gift of your time. I think that a number of the efforts are forward thinking and this Time Attack effort is pretty exciting.

Eric

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 23Racer View Post
                      Perry, that's not what I am talking about. What I am suggesting is explaining to people what are the responsibilities of the CASC (sanctioning, common rules, licensing, insurance, overall sponsorship packages, etc...) and what the clubs are responsible for (event scheduling, event administration, corner workers, track rents, etc...). People get confused and not understand what the various roles are as it does tend to change over time.

What people also tend to forget is that what you and the Board do is all volunteer time and donated by all of you to keep this thing going. Its not a business for a profit motive, it is done out of all of your wish to see this thing we call CASC motorsports continue.

I am smoking busy and I am sure all of you are as well, so what you guys do is even more of a gift of your time. I think that a number of the efforts are forward thinking and this Time Attack effort is pretty exciting.

Eric

Eric,
                      We did do that also. We let everyone know that CASC-OR sanctions, promotes the events. We do not run them nor do we earn any income from them. We do however advocate more series come play with us and embrace all motorsports organizations to come work with us to put on the best motorsports entertainment the clubs customers want.
                      Perry Iannuzzi
                      Past President

Comment

If I may point out, it makes cost sense to have the film crew show up on one day, rather than have them visit Barrie for autoslalom, Grand Bend for Time Attack, and CTMP for race. Add in the ambience and larger crowds of a race weekend and you have better backgrounds. The money to do this is coming from somewhere... our levies and affiliation fees, or perhaps from donated time; which would be even more precious. So, Bryce, perhaps you can take some comfort in cost optimization.

Why a race weekend to combine it all on one day? I don't think you'd find value in hauling your GT1 car to the Barrie Molson Centre. Though your cost per lap would drop considerably.

Celebration weekend makes the most sense.
                        sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Eric,
                          We did do that also. We let everyone know that CASC-OR sanctions, promotes the events. We do not run them nor do we earn any income from them. We do however advocate more series come play with us and embrace all motorsports organizations to come work with us to put on the best motorsports entertainment the clubs customers want.
                          Perhaps a sticky of that info would help get it out there.
                          sigpic
                          Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Eric,
                            Perry don't you think that transparency to the members of CASC is important by your math 88.6 entry fees cover the cost
                            I don't understand the plus volunteers part but these are some of the greatest people I have ever met and if there is something we can do for them I am all for it

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
                              what are your demands, exactly? Do you want a free, 1-hour window at an OTA event to do some laps at Mosport? Will that make you happy?
                              Mr Gear I don't believe myself or anyone else have the power to make demands .A lot of you have figured somehow that I have a problem with this video I DO NOT
                              What I want is equality in all CASC programs

Bryce Lee

Comment

Perry don't you think that transparency to the members of CASC is important by your math 88.6 entry fees cover the cost
                                I don't understand the plus volunteers part but these are some of the greatest people I have ever met and if there is something we can do for them I am all for it
                                Bryce,
                                You lost me about transparency. What haven't we been transparent about?
                                The costs are around $43k per event plus it take about 130 people to put on an event. The costs are always increasing and the amount of volunteers are dropping. With that in mind the BoD is doing everything it can to retain and recruit before its too late.
                                If you want to do something for the volunteers like you said, then pick up the tab for worker breakfasts one morning so the club doesn't have to. Buy a whole bunch of extra team hats and t-shirts and give them to the volunteers. They just want to be part of the event. A little recognition goes a long way. There's so many things the racers themselves can do to make the volunteers feel appreciated.
                                Perry Iannuzzi
                                Past President

Comment

Working...
                                X