X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fubawu
    replied
    Re: CASC Celebration Weekend

As someone who started off with Time Attack and now has moved to racing. I can vouch this system works. Without the help of the time attack organizers as well as the veterans who do both time attack and race. It would have made the switch to racing very difficult. I know many of the drivers want to do both
    but need some information on costs, prep, skill etc. Being involved in a race weekend will help build a report with the other drivers i.e pick the brains of those doing it. If they want to try racing no better way to gain info then being part of an event.

Yes we lose an hour of time, I am guessing we really don't lose an hour as the time line will be tightened but in the long run we might gain a few competitors
    in the long run!

Leave a comment:

• Director
    replied

Originally posted by DylanGibson View Post
    Have you no shame man?!
    Dylan,
    That's the Real Estate Salesmean in him. He can't help it.

Leave a comment:

• DylanGibson
    replied

Originally posted by Damon Sharpe View Post
    by the way, i have two race prepared honda civic Si's that would be great for CASC and/or Time attack, for sale. Any takers?
    Have you no shame man?!

Leave a comment:

• Damon Sharpe
    replied

originally someone was upset that someone was getting something for nothing, when others had to pay. i can sympathize with that, but sometimes you have to be more understanding and see that it may benefit you in the long run. its better than the group using hard cash and not getting any results out of it.

by the way, i have two race prepared honda civic Si's that would be great for CASC and/or Time attack, for sale. Any takers?

Leave a comment:

• thekid
    replied

Originally posted by minispeed View Post
    SARC

Oh I get it now, racing is a spectator sport; wheel to wheel, mana-a-mana. All about the show. No wonder we are so confused. And all this time us glorified time-trialers thought we were racing. Silly us!

/SARC

Hey guys, I would love to road race, but when money is limited, the alternative is to race against the clock. Its not spectator friendly, but its a cheap racing outlet for us.

Clearly you guys have some issues, and they may well be valid ones. Its up to you to get those issues to the executive in an appropriate way; throwing off incendiary comments in a public forum was not the best way to do it, as I hope you realize now.
    LOL... if racing was defined by spectators, then I would say most amateur road racing orgs don't qualify as racing since the stands are normally much more empty than full....

Race against a car, race against the clock, race against yourself, it's all racing, it's just not all wheel to wheel.

As mentioned before there are plenty of road racers who worked their way through the ranks of AutoX and Time Attack, and sometimes back down again. I applaud CASC's efforts to try and promote and grow ALL disciplines!

Leave a comment:

• minispeed
    replied

Originally posted by shaker351 View Post
    I think hill climb, rally racing etc.although a sport are nothing more than glorified time trials.Now put 15 plus cars together at once after the time trials then we have a race ... That being "RACING"
    SARC

Oh I get it now, racing is a spectator sport; wheel to wheel, mana-a-mana. All about the show. No wonder we are so confused. And all this time us glorified time-trialers thought we were racing. Silly us!

/SARC

Hey guys, I would love to road race, but when money is limited, the alternative is to race against the clock. Its not spectator friendly, but its a cheap racing outlet for us.

Clearly you guys have some issues, and they may well be valid ones. Its up to you to get those issues to the executive in an appropriate way; throwing off incendiary comments in a public forum was not the best way to do it, as I hope you realize now.

Leave a comment:

• Gwoody27
    replied

Folks, it seems to me that anything that increases participation in Motorsports of any kind will benefit all forms of the hobby. For all of us involved at the grassroots levels via CASC-OR it has to be a hobby. No one I know makes a living doing any of these events and vitrually everyone does this part time.

That said, we all want our hobby to thrive so we will have people with whom to compete. If we want to be able to afford to rent the facilities and attract the volunteers we need to keep the hobby viable, then attracting more participants is essential and critical. After all, Autoslalomers, Ice Racers, Hill Climbers, Rallyists, Time Attackers and Wheel to Wheelers all spend $$ at sponsor or potential sponsor locations to buy performance related items. This is what helps to keep the hobby alive.

So my wish is that instead of arguing among ourselves, we should all pitch in to do whatever we can, big or small, to maintain and grow the hobby we all love. Kudos to the CASC-OR Exec for taking action in that direction. Lets see what we can do to make it successful.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Campbell
    replied

Originally posted by Apex177 View Post
    So instead of voicing your complaints of how time attack and autoX are getting special treatment to the committees and organizers, you come to a "time attack specific forum" to pick fights and complain to us how we are not "real racers", and that we are disgracing your events by existing.
    Big +1 on this.

Can you please take your Road Racing issues/conversation to a private communication venue? This is after all a public forum; your complaints and argumentative posts do not accurately reflect the OTA community. We (like many other groups) are trying hard to build the credibility and appeal of our events, to increase participation, and ensure that we can all continue to enjoy our hobby for years to come.

Your arguing and negativity detracts from our goals.

Leave a comment:

• Apex177
    replied

So instead of voicing your complaints of how time attack and autoX are getting special treatment to the committees and organizers, you come to a "time attack specific forum" to pick fights and complain to us how we are not "real racers", and that we are disgracing your events by existing. I do understand how time attack and AutoX may not be entertaining for most to watch but I find it hard to believe that this would turn away spectators from your events.

Leave a comment:

• 3wheeler
    replied

Originally posted by Kcodekid View Post
    Show me were I say anything about the video
    Considering that the sole reason we were invited out for a one hour event is to be part of the video, you must not like the idea of it.

"So I get to pay a $500 dollar entry fee and you guys are going to show up and take an hour of the weekend for free something is wrong with this"

While you don't mention "video", you were clearly unsupportive of the idea.

In any case, how about we move on as this isn't really accomplishing anything..

Leave a comment:

• Kcodekid
    replied

Originally posted by 3wheeler View Post
    Figured some how? You're kidding, right? If you do not have a problem with the video, go back and rephrase your initial comment. What you wrote, and more importantly how you wrote it, is the only reason we have made it to page 3.

Something for everyone to ponder..

Just imagine for a second, being in charge of promotions, coming up with an awesome idea that has the potential to build excitement for all involved with CASC(hell, you're all fired up too), only to be scuttled by the very people you're trying to help. Oh, and on top of that, you're a volunteer . It takes a special person to not throw in the towel and say f it.

So with that being said, let's at least get all the details before crapping on their ideas.
    Show me were I say anything about the video

Leave a comment:

• shaker351
    replied

Originally posted by iamthewheelman View Post
    I was fortunate enough to race karts at a reasonably high level as a teenager, but the costs became too high and I had to stop. I found out about CASC autox from a fellow car enthusiast that I purchased some parts from. He encouraged me to try it, but it wasn't for me. However, I discovered CASC's road racing division because of my experience at an autox event. Again the cost was unfortunately too high for me too afford to road race, but a road racing participant encouraged me to try out time attack as an alternative. Although I miss racing wheel to wheel very much, and it's something I know I will do again one day, time attack has provided me with a way to participate in sanctioned events, with good competition and structure, as well as keep getting seat time and network with people involved in the sport. I see all of these things as positive, and many other have had similar experiences.

I too am curious to hear why you do not feel autox and time attack are not valid forms of racing. Is it that they are based on time? Cars do not battle side by side? Do you feel rally and hill climb events fall under the same umbrella as time attack and autox?

I do not claim to know a lot about motorsport history but I remember reading Jackie Stewarts biography and he talked a lot about how he participated in hill climb events at a young age to get some of his first opportunities to drive race cars on circuits.

I personally feel time attack could be viewed very much in the same light with its growing popularity. You never know who the next driver to make it big will have raced at the start of their career.
    I do respect your opinion although mine differs somewhat. I think hill climb, rally racing etc.although a sport are nothing more than glorified time trials.Now put 15 plus cars together at once after the time trials then we have a race.And yes i know that some motorsports fans will watch anything but i believe that real dedicated race fans want to watch racing not single car time trials. Hence NASCAR's decision to have multi car qualifying.A race before the "race". So even though I know this goes against the grain and i will probably be called, what was it now?Oh yeah a troll.I think CASC. should put more emphasis on racing so that drivers from different forms of motorsports have a competitive, exciting more challenging form of motorsports to advance to. That being "RACING"

Leave a comment:

• Director
    replied

Originally posted by 3wheeler View Post
    Figured some how? You're kidding, right? If you do not have a problem with the video, go back and rephrase your initial comment. What you wrote, and more importantly how you wrote it, is the only reason we have made it to page 3.

Just imagine for a second, being in charge of promotions, coming up with an awesome idea that has the potential to build excitement for all involved with CASC(hell, you're all fired up too), only to be scuttled by the very people you're trying to help. Oh, and on top of that, you're a volunteer . It takes a special person to not throw in the towel and say f it.

So with that being said, let's at least get all the details before crapping on their ideas.

Thanks Corey for the vote of confidence. I went out on a limb this year when I pitched the Essence of CASC video idea to the board. There was a lot of discussion if this was the right move. The BoD agreed that it is a step in the right direction for the organization.
    Yes I have a vision for the future of CASC past my term as president and this was something I truly felt we needed. I sent letters to all 27 club presidents asking for their input before deciding to move forward.
    One thing I've learned over the past 4 years, is that I'm not going to please everybody, but I've got broad shoulders for the detractors.
    I met with the video producers today, we had a great meeting with a lot of great ideas and I can assure you this series of videos will be fabulous.

Leave a comment:

• 3wheeler
    replied

Mr Gear I don't believe myself or anyone else have the power to make demands .A lot of you have figured somehow that I have a problem with this video I DO NOT
    What I want is equality in all CASC programs

Bryce Lee

Leave a comment:

• Director
    replied

Perry don't you think that transparency to the members of CASC is important by your math 88.6 entry fees cover the cost
    I don't understand the plus volunteers part but these are some of the greatest people I have ever met and if there is something we can do for them I am all for it
    Bryce,
    You lost me about transparency. What haven't we been transparent about?
    The costs are around $43k per event plus it take about 130 people to put on an event. The costs are always increasing and the amount of volunteers are dropping. With that in mind the BoD is doing everything it can to retain and recruit before its too late.
    If you want to do something for the volunteers like you said, then pick up the tab for worker breakfasts one morning so the club doesn't have to. Buy a whole bunch of extra team hats and t-shirts and give them to the volunteers. They just want to be part of the event. A little recognition goes a long way. There's so many things the racers themselves can do to make the volunteers feel appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X