upgraded factory suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgraded factory suspension

So i've been through the rule book a couple of times now and have not found anything regarding upgraded factory suspension other then 4.8.2.6, referring to updating or backdating suspension between two vehicles with the suspension rating ( provided they are the same model and are a direct fit). What I am looking at doing is fitting the struts, springs and swaybars out of a s2000 cr into my base model s2000. My car has a suspension rating of 55 and the cr has a rating of 60, I was woundering if I would have to take the same pips as performance parts or if it is allowed for less pips. Sorry if I missed something in the rulebook pertaining to this and thanks for your help.
    Jeremy Brutzki
    177 gt3 honda s2000

Re: upgraded factory suspension

Originally posted by Apex177 View Post
    ... 4.8.2.6, referring to updating or backdating suspension between two vehicles with the same suspension rating ...
    ...My car has a suspension rating of 55 and the cr has a rating of 60 ...
    I think you answered your own question here.
    Greg.

Comment

Springs/shocks/sways would be more than 5 pips, so it's a fair question to ask. Can you take parts from a higher spec model of the same car and run under the higher spec model as your baseline, or does the baseline have to match the VIN?

Comment

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
        Springs/shocks/sways would be more than 5 pips, so it's a fair question to ask. Can you take parts from a higher spec model of the same car and run under the higher spec model as your baseline, or does the baseline have to match the VIN?
        Actually I am curious about this also all of the suspension on my car which I took PIPS for anti-roll bars springs and shocks are actually from European models
        sigpicOTA - #95

Comment

I seem to recall chatter about this in the past and you had to be sure to change all components such as bushings, anti-roll bars, springs, shocks, etc.
          In the case of the S2K CR, they also changed the steering gear ratio.

Comment

S2K CR also has aero changes. Not sure how effective they are, but they are present.

Comment

The cr was also lighter, no power soft top, no leather seats and ac/ radio were optional. The chassie was reinforced as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing somthing in the rules, I vaguely remember something about it but could be wrong.
              Jeremy Brutzki
              177 gt3 honda s2000

Comment

In 2012, I ran a CR suspension (springs, shock, sways bars). I also had an AEM Engine controller, that I didn't realize, was set at too low temperature, (so it pulled the timing back on most of my events, like a weak limp mode). Never got to see the full advantage of the CR Suspension.

For 2013 the CCC changed the rules requiring an HI of 60 for CR suspension (effectively an increase of 1.5 PIPs, very cheap in comparison to a full aftermarket suspension of 6.6 PIPs).

The CR suspension came came from a 2008 CR, and has about 40,000km on it. Good price. PM me if interested.

JohnP

Comment

So just to clarify, John...

If you have a base model, and run suspension off the higher spec model, you can baseline your car as the higher spec model instead of taking the sPIP's for the suspension changes?

ie: Integra GSR with Type R suspension, or BMW 328i with M3 suspension, or Audi A4 with S4 suspension?

Comment

So just to clarify, John...

If you have a base model, and run suspension off the higher spec model, you can baseline your car as the higher spec model instead of taking the sPIP's for the suspension changes?

ie: Integra GSR with Type R suspension, or BMW 328i with M3 suspension, or Audi A4 with S4 suspension?
                    Will, Stock S2000 has an HI of 55. CR has an HI of 60. If you run the CR suspension on a base S2000 you will be required to use the 60 HI so an increase of 1.5 PIPs. This is the same as other examples you mentioned.

JohnP

Comment

If you want to use the suspension off a car with a different handling index, Hanif is correct. You must convert your car completely to the spec of the other model, so that as far as the CCC is concerned, you have an S2000 CR now. You can not pick and choose certain items from one model and have other items from another model without taking individual PIPs for them.

In the case of the CR, this would become rather expensive with the extent of factory modification, but perhaps you could view it as a bargain since you would get the wing and air dam included without having to take aero PIP's.
                      sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                      OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

I might be having a dumb day, but it sounds like John and Stephen are giving conflicting answers?

Per John, you can run the CR suspension and base it as a CR with no other changes.

Per Stephen, you have to fully convert the car to a CR spec to use it as a CR base.

Or am I misreading something?

Comment

Being that my car is the model year 2000 (classified as 2002), how would I go about classification. Does it get entered as the listed 2008 cr with a race weight option or as an 2002 with a Hi of 60. I'd like to know what class it would end up in, if possible. Currently with nothing but an alingment claimed and my weight of 150lbs. I'm at 68.6 pips, with a Hi of 60 an alignment should be worth slightly less pips if I'm correct. My goal would be to stay in gt3 but I don't have very many pips to play with so as much as 0.1pip will make or break it.
                          Last edited by Apex177; 10-31-2014, 07:22 PM.
                          Jeremy Brutzki
                          177 gt3 honda s2000

Comment

I might be having a dumb day, but it sounds like John and Stephen are giving conflicting answers?

Per John, you can run the CR suspension and base it as a CR with no other changes.

Per Stephen, you have to fully convert the car to a CR spec to use it as a CR base.

Or am I misreading something?
                            John ran his CR suspension while the CR model and base S2000 had equal HI. When the CCC/OTAO changed the performance models (CR, Mazdaspeed, etc) to a higher HI, he went back to stock.
                            Last edited by Slowpoke; 10-31-2014, 08:57 PM.
                            sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                            OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Jeremy, The easiest way is to run your submission for the year of your car and add the 1.5 PIPs for the CR suspension as an added LSD, which is the equivalent 1.5 PIPs. Put a note against the LSD explaining you chose it for the CR suspension.
                              JohnP

Comment

Working...
                              X