Scratching my head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scratching my head

We picked up a high milage Cobalt SS for dirt cheap last fall... I want to try the RE71R on it in GT2 or GT1 for an event or two this year Coming from the Z2's and RS3's it should be interesting...
    03 Corvette Z06

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
      The Pilot Sport Cup 2 is probably the street tire with the most heat capacity now.

I was frustrated by the Rival but it is not a soft or vague tire. Just slidey.

How new is this tire? I am surprised by the 180 treadwear rating compared to the 80 which is the rating for the basic Pilot Sport Cup. Price is really high but might be an interesting idea.
      Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
        How new is this tire? I am surprised by the 180 treadwear rating compared to the 80 which is the rating for the basic Pilot Sport Cup. Price is really high but might be an interesting idea.
        They have been available since 2014 and a few Porsche guys were running them with good results.They are also the tire that comes on the new Z06 with the Z07 package in a run flat.They appear to be a quicker tire than the old Sport Cup with much better wear.

https://youtu.be/XVQlAkIQaJ4
        2015 F82 M4

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
          They have been available since 2014 and a few Porsche guys were running them with good results.They are also the tire that comes on the new Z06 with the Z07 package in a run flat.They appear to be a quicker tire than the old Sport Cup with much better wear.
          While the rulebook specifies that a 'street tire' must have at least 140 treadwear and be available in a minimum of 2 rim diameters are there any other considerations used to define if a tire is eligible for 'street' status?

The PSC2 has a 180 treadwear rating but it's OE equipment on track focused specials (Ferrari Speciale, AMG Blacks) and since it's predecessor (PSC) had a treadwear of 80 it seems like Michelin is playing games with the UTQG.

It's also only available in 18 inch diameters and up (and not much in 18 inches either) so it wouldn't be useable for the vast majority of the OTA paddock (who are on 18" or less).
          Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Campbell View Post
            While the rulebook specifies that a 'street tire' must have at least 140 treadwear and be available in a minimum of 2 rim diameters are there any other considerations used to define if a tire is eligible for 'street' status?

The PSC2 has a 180 treadwear rating but it's OE equipment on track focused specials (Ferrari Speciale, AMG Blacks) and since it's predecessor (PSC) had a treadwear of 80 it seems like Michelin is playing games with the UTQG.

It's also only available in 18 inch diameters and up (and not much in 18 inches either) so it wouldn't be useable for the vast majority of the OTA paddock (who are on 18" or less).
            The PSC2 is a very different than the earlier PSC in its construction and the UTQG rating means nothing between different brands of tires.It should only be a comparison of tire life for different tire lines by the same manufacture.One of wife's 335 Cabriolet came with Bridgestones that had a wear rating of 140 so they must be a stickier tire than the MSC2's by that logic!
            2015 F82 M4

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Campbell View Post
              Maybe they are, but it is always hard to tell with UTQG. Nothing I have seen suggests that the PSC2 is as fast as top-flight treaded R comps like the Trofeo R or Ventus TD (Soft). It would be interesting to compare the PSC2 to the RE71R or Rival S.

(edit: maybe I will once my NT01s are used up in 6 months )
              Last edited by Lloyd_; 04-15-2015, 04:07 PM.
              03 Z06 #72
              15 Prius V

Comment

Working...
              X