Track Car Insurance Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Car Insurance Coverage

The insurance for my "Track Car" is up for renewal.

It is only used on the track. The plates are removed and I didn't get the current Ontario Drive Clean emissions test because the car isn't used on the street.

The car spends its life inside the shop or in the trailer on its way to the track.

I've just been told that unless the car has full road coverage (Fire, Theft, PL/PD) there is no insurance at all for any accident or supplementary damage while it is being transported inside an insured, enclosed trailer!

If the car was "historic" it would qualify for "Silver Wheels" or "Haggerty", but it is a modern E-92 BMW.

I don't expect to have insurance for on-track incidents, but I want to make sure its covered in the event of an accident in transport or storage.

The broker told me that even putting Fire and Theft coverage would not cover anything other than loss by fire or the theft of the automobile.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TomB
    sigpicOo=[][]=oO
    OTA#33 TomB,

Re: Track Car Insurance Coverage

The advantage of a single purpose track only vehicle is that you don't have to deal with the compromises and extra cost of a street driven vehicle. If the car is generally stored indoors or inside a trailer your most significant risk of loss is damage due to on track incidents. As you mention, you won't have coverage for on track damage so the benefit of insurance is very small.

I would cancel the insurance and take the money you've saved and put it in an account to cover repairs/damage/maintence from on track running. Living in Ontario we pay some of the highest vehicle insurance rates in the world, I would look for any excuse to cut that cost.
    Last edited by Greg Campbell; 06-12-2015, 11:31 PM.
    Greg.

Comment

Greg, thanks for the reply.
      My major concern is an accident while towing the car.

What happens if this "uninsured" vehicle causes consequential damage to people or property?

I know some guys get "track day insurance" for their street driven car while participating in OTA or HPDE lapping days. I don't qualify for this. My insurance wants $1,980.00 plus HST.

TomB
      sigpicOo=[][]=oO
      OTA#33 TomB,

Comment

Originally posted by Oo=[][]=oO View Post
        Greg, thanks for the reply.
        My major concern is an accident while towing the car.

What happens if this "uninsured" vehicle causes consequential damage to people or property?
        Tom, this should be covered under the insurance of the truck/suv that is doing the towing.
        Elvis
        Ice Racing, RallyX and Autox

Comment

I believe there are other companies that provide this, but Competition Insurance is one that I'm aware of:

https://www.competition.ca/insurance...car-insurance/
          -=Brian=-

Comment

Originally posted by madspeed View Post
            Tom, this should be covered under the insurance of the truck/suv that is doing the towing.
            I thought the same thing, but the broker said "NO WAY" unless the race car being towed has full comp coverage.

I asked about golf clubs etc, and she said that is covered by your home insurance. If the car gets totaled it isn't covered. She said if I was not at fault I could sue the other driver, but under no fault, my insurance would only cover the tow vehicle and trailer, but no contents of the trailer or trailered vehicle.

I fear a lot of guys are wandering along the highways unaware of what coverage they really have.

Thx TomB
            sigpicOo=[][]=oO
            OTA#33 TomB,

Comment

I have always asked my insurance to cover my trailer and content to a dollar value in case of loss. This is fairly common if you are in the trade business and keep tools and equipment in your trailer. This may be a safe approach to get coverage for the loss of your vehicle during transport or storage.
              Now CrITical Inc.
              Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

Working...
              X