Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIL at event #3

Carrying on from the first 2 events.

1. It is awesome that we have people like Carsten, Rob McA and Perry R to step in when needed to do many duties. Also thanks to Mohamed for clerking and Ken Prince for providing Perry with much needed help.

2. Great to see Corey W back and still as quick as ever, same for Erik D R.

3. Not sure about evening events in an unlit area. Half the field was gone by about 7 pm and it was not fun loading up in the dark.

4. Some very fast drivers and cars joined us for this event which is outstanding and I hope they will be back for more.

5. Good to see Chuck back at the track, we all still miss Kelly.

6. Good marshaling is hard to find and a really under appreciated skill. We all need to always thank good marshals for their support.

7. Next up the big track, can hardly wait.
    Gary Wood:
    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Re: WIL at event #3

What I learnt:

1) Dry setup is no good in slightly wet conditions

2) How a car with toe out in the rear handles under braking. (Need to tap up brakes to transfer weight then once weight is transferred increase pedal pressure)

3) Big bars make tight low speed corners easier to handle.

4) I need more front and rear camber.
    TLMC '77 Austin mini #56-Orange
    OTA VMC #56 '08 Civic Si sedan-White
    CTCC VMC #41 Civic Crew chief

Comment

I learned

Bridgestone RE-71R's are faster than my Hankook RS-3's

I go way faster in competition than I do in practice

I seen a guy change a clutch at the track, that was epic

Corey Whiteman is what I aspire to be

My Civic si is capable of winning the GT3 class (with someone else driving)

Most importantly I had a blast and I will be back again, may even run the full schedule next year!

Grant

Comment

Thanks Grant

1. 8th gen Civic is plenty capable of be being competitive in OTA.

2. Co-driving a FWD car is not very good when there is so little time between runs.

3. Kyle Beaty and his crew are some of the most determined guys I have ever met at the track. Changing a clutch at the track to get in a competition run is seriously impressive.

4. TD's are just as good as I originally thought. You guys better get a set if you want a shot at the title!
        Corey Whiteman

Comment

"4. TD's are just as good as I originally thought. You guys better get a set if you want a shot at the title!"

From what I've seen TD's aren't R888s, NT01s, AO48s or RA1s. If I was running non-premium Rs this would be the go to tire.
          sigpic
          2006 350z
          OTA SGT1 #14 GT Challenge GS #19

Comment

Originally posted by Kart14 View Post
            "4. TD's are just as good as I originally thought. You guys better get a set if you want a shot at the title!"

From what I've seen TD's aren't R888s, NT01s, AO48s or RA1s. If I was running non-premium Rs this would be the go to tire.
            Yeah it was only a matter of time before someone with a prepped car came into the series with these tires. They certainly are not "new", but because no one in OTA has used them during competition, its almost as if they are. Had I kept my car, guess what I would have been using..
            Corey Whiteman

Comment

Although I wasn't able to make it out to TMP, I learned (yet again) that I have a great team I can rely upon to get it all done. Awesome work.
              And I learned that we do indeed have a very competitive group this year.
              Also awesome!
              Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
              OTA Director 2015
              ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

I have tested a bunch and I would say the TDs are classed accordingly.

They are clearly faster than the tires listed by kart, but everyone in the world knows that. The other tires are under performers in todays tire world.

They are also clearly slower than full slicks. Everyone knows that.

Why did I choose Tds? I originally planned on going with street tires this year, but I didn't want to go slower to be competitive. It's against my nature.

Would I be able to run under 77.5 on some RE71Rs?
                I think I could.

Comment

In no way are the TDs classed correctly as they are with the likes of R888s, NT01s, etc. When switching to R-comps, you only need about a second gain in time to justify the class change. The tires I listed are not even that close to streets which is why you haven't seen a overall winner on R-comps in quite some time(besides Muhammed). It's no secret that the TDs are MUCH quicker than streets(2-2.5 seconds better on a 90 second course), and this isn't hear say, it's been proven many times locally and in the US. I had researched it to death and had I kept my car, that was my plan. There is a few of us that have been talking about this since last season and it was only a matter of time before it was proved. Unfortunately it's a unique tire that works better than expected and for that reason it's hard to fit into OTAs classing.

Don't think I am taking away from your win btw, I actually applaud you for stepping up and running OTA when most just dismiss the series due to the complicated rule set. Good luck the rest of the season!
                  Last edited by 3wheeler; 06-24-2015, 02:55 AM.
                  Corey Whiteman

Comment

1. Subtracting 3 teeth from your pinion gear and 3 from your ring gear does not give you the improvement in axle ratio that you might have expected.
                    Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Originally posted by 3wheeler View Post
                      In no way are the TDs classed correctly as they are with the likes of R888s, NT01s, etc. When switching to R-comps, you only need about a second gain in time to justify the class change. The tires I listed are not even that close to streets which is why you haven't seen a overall winner on R-comps in quite some time(besides Muhammed). It's no secret that the TDs are MUCH quicker than streets(2-2.5 seconds better on a 90 second course), and this isn't hear say, it's been proven many times locally and in the US. I had researched it to death and had I kept my car, that was my plan. There is a few of us that have been talking about this since last season and it was only a matter of time before it was proved. Unfortunately it's a unique tire that works better than expected and for that reason it's hard to fit into OTAs classing.

Don't think I am taking away from your win btw, I actually applaud you for stepping up and running OTA when most just dismiss the series due to the complicated rule set. Good luck the rest of the season!
                      I think most will agree after seeing my video I could run a low 1:16 on TDs.
                      The next class down at SGT2 is 1.2% slower.
                      The challenge then becomes could I run a low 1:17 on RE71Rs.
                      That's an interesting challenge and I may have to take it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 3wheeler View Post

Can be tough to make rulesets keep up with tire tech.

RE71's and Rival S's are now demonstratably faster than the RS3's. TD's are faster than NT01's. R7's are faster than R6's.

R888's haven't been worth talking about for a long time. A048's for even longer.

Question is, are all the categories losing time consistently? Does the TD push treaded R-comp game further than the RE71R pushes the street tire game?

Treaded R-comp's (at least in OTA) have lonnnnng been overdue a renaissance. Now what will the folks that complained RS3's are too fast compared to R888's say?

Some folks worth listening to (and there's really not many of them) who time trial Miata's stateside are saying Rival-S's are faster than NT01's.

Perhaps it's R888's and NT01's that don't fit the description anymore. Can't define a category by the lowest common denominator when the whole nature of the classification is based on the fact that the competitor will (should) pick the best of breed for each component. I can't argue that less pips should be charged for coilovers because I threw some E-bay sleeves and springs on a set of Monroes and went no faster....
                        Last edited by Saj5DJ; 06-24-2015, 09:54 AM.
                        Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

For what it's worth... my lateral G's according to my AIM are no better on my NT01's versus my street tires (Pirelli Pzero & Michelin PS2) at DDT and TMP. What I do get from the NT01's are consistency though, whereas my street tires will get greasy after a few laps, the NT01 stay quite consistent throughout a 20 minute session. This doesn't do me any favors for competition, though. That said, I don't think I'll be running NT01's next season - probably a newer generation extreme-performance street tire like the RE-71R or even the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (180 treadwear rating on those, can you believe that?).

Comment

What the heck are TDs? Lol, been stuck on Conti's way too long!
                            Arek Wojciechowski
                            8legs Racing, SPC #77
                            http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

If you're going to make a change in the rules for td's you better make it for hoosier a7's as well because I'd bet money that a sticker a7 is way more then a second faster then a sticker td at tmp. I bet on some cars it could be two seconds or more. The reality is there's always going to be one or two tires that outshine the rest. When the advan a050 comes to north america(supposedly next year I've heard) there will be then competition for the td. Just like the rival-s is competition for the re-71r. There will always be tires that are faster then the rest, it's up to the competitor to decide how much they want to spend to try and win!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X