Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

    Originally posted by slick View Post
    WIL:

    1. Was great to get back to competition.
    2. There was a home track advantage (like some of you at MIR), takes a while to test (and execute) the fastest lines at CMP.
    3. Yes, we are spoiled to have this track.
    4. Had fun coaching and taking others for some hot laps.
    5. My personal best at the track was Sunday morning with a 2:26.40, but could not get close to that in the afternoon.
    6. Aero is good. Need more.


    Andre
    How many laps does it take to learn the track? Many more than we had. My time of the weekend were my last session. Let's get back and keep learning.
    Gary Wood:
    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

      Originally posted by nowcritical View Post
      All things considered , my lap time would improved but were hindered by overheating issues, and the fact that I have not driven at the track for over 6 years.

      Still top 3 in FTD in a car that was in limp mode

      Martin, give me that fancy new engine of yours I think it would fit nice in the 240sx...and another 300hp would be good

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

        Originally posted by Gwoody27 View Post
        How many laps does it take to learn the track? Many more than we had. My time of the weekend were my last session. Let's get back and keep learning.

        Its quite a technical track, and it has some big power sections, and rewards on the edge driving thats for sure. To do ir fast you pretty much have to balls out on it.

        in 2008 we only had one wet practice day on it so it was not a lot of practice either. However the competition that year was VERY fierce, and I think Time attack peaked speed wise, as you can see by the times.

        With some more time on that track the cars from 2008 could have easily been in the 137's ..as we left a lot on the table from not knowing the track well.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

          Originally posted by Gwoody27 View Post
          How many laps does it take to learn the track? Many more than we had. My time of the weekend were my last session. Let's get back and keep learning.
          On that note, I stumbled across some track guides for Bogie. Not very timely (as I could have used these BEFORE the event), but still good to post and we can refer to them as we gear up for the event next year.

          (see what I did there?)

          Anywho:

          From Midnight Runs - http://forums.midnightruns.com/showt...-Bogie-website
          Last edited by Greg Campbell; 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM.
          Greg.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

            I'm at CMP like 3 times a week and I still find new ways of doing things.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

              Originally posted by Greg Campbell View Post
              but still good to post and we can refer to them as we gear up for the event next year.

              (see what I did there?)
              I think it's pretty clear we need to go back next year!

              Originally posted by wings2k View Post
              I'm at CMP like 3 times a week and I still find new ways of doing things.
              I can't even express how jealous I am of that statement!

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

                Originally posted by Carguy View Post
                John, remember that most (if not all) of those times were most likely run on R-Comps before the tire rule. It's no surprise that the track gets greasy in the afternoon on street tires since street compounds are not meant to take the heat of track abuse. BTW, Mohamed's lap time improved by almost 1.5 seconds. He is currently using Nitto NT01's. Coincidence? I think not!
                That's what I figured, but I found a 2008 Rule book and the tire rule was in place for 2008. R compounds were a class higher than Streets. Another interesting point is that Tires are a lot faster now than 8 years ago (some think Streets now are equal to R comps of 2008).

                Maybe, one reason times are slower is because the track was brand new in 2008, while now it is worn. I walked the track on Friday and noticed that a lot of the asphalt on top of, and/or between small stones has worn off so our tires are sliding on more stones (that are now polished).

                JohnP

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

                  Originally posted by John P View Post
                  That's what I figured, but I found a 2008 Rule book and the tire rule was in place for 2008. R compounds were a class higher than Streets. Another interesting point is that Tires are a lot faster now than 8 years ago (some think Streets now are equal to R comps of 2008).

                  Maybe, one reason times are slower is because the track was brand new in 2008, while now it is worn. I walked the track on Friday and noticed that a lot of the asphalt on top of, and/or between small stones has worn off so our tires are sliding on more stones (that are now polished).

                  JohnP
                  Could be, I'm not an expert in aggregate or asphalt wear rates over time but there could be a polishing effect that comes into play.

                  That said, I think any reduction in the surfaces overall level of grip would be more than outweighed by the advances in tire, suspension, brake, and aero technology of cars today. I happen to think that my car is capable of a high 2.18 at Bogie and that the class record was within reach. But because of the heavy rain the day before and the heat of the afternoon I think we just got beat by the conditions. Look at the times at MIR at the last event, nearly a class record in every class and a big jump over last year because we had great conditions (hot, but not too hot) that suited the track.
                  Greg.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

                    Originally posted by John P View Post
                    That's what I figured, but I found a 2008 Rule book and the tire rule was in place for 2008. R compounds were a class higher than Streets. Another interesting point is that Tires are a lot faster now than 8 years ago (some think Streets now are equal to R comps of 2008).

                    Maybe, one reason times are slower is because the track was brand new in 2008, while now it is worn. I walked the track on Friday and noticed that a lot of the asphalt on top of, and/or between small stones has worn off so our tires are sliding on more stones (that are now polished).

                    JohnP
                    Hmmm... I didn't think the tire rule was that old. Despite that I believe that most of the top competitors were still on R-comps since the rule had just been added to the rule set. I agree that the track surface has changed over the years and that it is also a contributing factor. Yes the street tires have gotten faster over the years, but they still lose a significant amount of grip on hot days when they tend to overheat. My best lap time is a 2:31.41 last October in my stock BRZ (T1) running RS3s and the weather was around 15-17 Deg C and sunny on a rubbered-in track.
                    CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                    sigpic
                    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

                      Calabogies a world class track designed by Alan Wilson (google that name). It is extremely technical in that there are many variations in lines to get around it depending on what kind of car you are driving ( tires, HP, grip level, etc). I've done 1000's of laps there and still learn new things about it as James has said. It requires all the practice you can get. The track has changed somewhat since it was built but people are still getting faster and faster around it yes partly because of tire and vehicle technology but practice is what's making it perfect mostly.
                      To give one an idea of where they should be at with your car in terms of lap times, I have turned a 2:24 in a bone stock E46 M3 with Rivals ( which I don't particularily like). Any good stock corvette should be faster. A winning GT4 race car time is about a 2:22. Put this in perspective to what your driving and that's about what time you should strive for. By the way, the lap record is a 1:53 by a Stohr.

                      Here's a link to a race video of mine from last year. You can see in the video different lines and tacts I take to get around competitors and the track during the races. ( please disregard the grass line at the first part of the video lol. Not one you should take but it worked for me).

                      Ted Powell 2014 races http://youtu.be/J_jqOuj_xCo
                      Pat McDermott
                      OSCC.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

                        Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        - The road from Calabogie to Bancroft makes the trip more fun, even if you're pulling a trailer with a car on it. However, you do have to watch your mirrors for blue Subarus with rally lights travelling at high speed.....
                        You were moving much faster with your trailer than the Blue Corvette before you.
                        sigpic

                        Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

                          Originally posted by shamrock View Post
                          Calabogies a world class track designed by Alan Wilson (google that name). It is extremely technical in that there are many variations in lines to get around it depending on what kind of car you are driving ( tires, HP, grip level, etc). I've done 1000's of laps there and still learn new things about it as James has said. It requires all the practice you can get. The track has changed somewhat since it was built but people are still getting faster and faster around it yes partly because of tire and vehicle technology but practice is what's making it perfect mostly.
                          To give one an idea of where they should be at with your car in terms of lap times, I have turned a 2:24 in a bone stock E46 M3 with Rivals ( which I don't particularily like). Any good stock corvette should be faster. A winning GT4 race car time is about a 2:22. Put this in perspective to what your driving and that's about what time you should strive for. By the way, the lap record is a 1:53 by a Stohr.

                          Here's a link to a race video of mine from last year. You can see in the video different lines and tacts I take to get around competitors and the track during the races. ( please disregard the grass line at the first part of the video lol. Not one you should take but it worked for me).

                          Ted Powell 2014 races http://youtu.be/J_jqOuj_xCo
                          Nice passes, Pat.

                          JohnP

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

                            Thanks to you John, Chris, and Keith for helping out at our lapping day. It was much appreciated.
                            Pat McDermott
                            OSCC.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X