The Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Championship

With one weekend left and a number of classes still being hotly contested, what are your thoughts and strategies for the last event. Remember, event 9 counts double.

Let's hear what your personal goals are? I hope we can hear from the top 5 who are fighting it out for 1st overall.
    Gary Wood:
    GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Re: The Championship

First post (sort of).

I obviously want to win, but since my overal result depends on what other people do I don't want to set myself a goal that ultimately I don't have control over.

In no particular order:

- I want to be at least 1 second faster than I was last year. Target time is a low 60 sec in both directions.
    - I want to leave the weekend with enough brake and tire for the shootout.
    - I want to drive home in the same car that I arrived in (which is always a race day goal, been on the back of a tow trailer too many times).
    - I want to try and convince that plucky Irishman to come co-drive my car
    - I want someone to buy Corey's old car and come out and win both days to really screw up our championship points math
    - I want there to be no traffic on the 401 Sunday evening so I can get home in 2 hours.
    - I want a pony

You can't always get what you want, but you can try.
    Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Campbell View Post
      First post (sort of).

You can't always get what you want, but you can try.
      Hope you don't mind my edit -
      "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need". - MJ of the RS. Dating myself, I know.

I want to be back on track
      Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
      OTA Director 2015
      ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

I'm just going to be myself.

A lot of it comes down to weather and mechanical issues.
        Fair weather probably favours me, rain probably favours Mohamed and Kyle.

Before the season started I only knew my "hot set up" on two tracks. TMP and GBR.

I'm looking for new tires. Either new TDs or maybe drop a class on RE71Rs.
        But timelines are short.

Other than that a little more fuel, I might get some practice in and that is all you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by OTA Director 2015-2016 View Post
          Hope you don't mind my edit -
          "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need". - MJ of the RS. Dating myself, I know.

I want to be back on track
          MJ of the RS? Who's that? You must be way older than I thought Kelly!
          CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
          sigpic
          Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Carguy View Post
            MJ of the RS? Who's that? You must be way older than I thought Kelly!
            Ha! C'mon Pierre....
            Mick Jagger, Rolling Stones!
            OTA Director 2015
            ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

I got it, it can't be a purely age thing...

Comment

Will, with that kind of knowledge I can only assume you're an immortal.
                CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                sigpic

Comment

OK, I am going to add my thoughts.

I am going for my first class win since starting in 2008 and with the same car developed over the years to be faster most every year. I have been 2nd in a variety of classes, to Chris P, Corey W, and Steve B so have been happy enough, but it would be nice to earn a class win.

For overall my best has been 16th and I am aiming for a top 8 this year. Given the aforementioned are regulars this year I could expect a top say 12 but I am aiming higher without the VDPs and JP who are usually ahead of me. My immediate target is that pesty Alan Choi who in his 2nd year is driving very, very well, as is Jeremy B who will be with us. Should be a competitive last weekend.
                  Gary Wood:
                  GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Well, I'll add mine too then....
                    Although my season ended before it started, I certainly had some goals.
                    I've had two podium class finishes for overall season in the past - both 3rd's.
                    Naturally I was hoping for at least a 2nd overall season class finish this year.
                    As for individual events, I was practising at track days at MIR, where I enjoy it the most, and would've been disappointed with anything less than a 1st in GT2 at MIR.
                    I was doing '38's in practise and the eventual GT2 event class winner was in the '38's. Hmmm, might have been very close.

But alas, it wasn't to be.
                    If I can prepare a car for next year, my goals will be less lofty - just get back into it!
                    Last edited by 10gt61; 08-22-2015, 11:04 AM.
                    OTA Director 2015
                    ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Sadly my season disintegrated at MIR this year when I spun in turn 8 during morning practice. I was on pace for a good finish at MIR by beating last year's time in the first practice session despite the traffic. Oh well, that's racing! By choosing not to participate at TMP and Grand Bend I could not afford to miss a single event to qualify for a class podium as well as a chance to crack the top 10 overall. Having missed out on a ChumpCar ride in September I will be finishing my race season at CMP by participating in the final three races of the GT Challenge series.

Since I won't be seeing any of you at the remaining OTA events I will take this opportunity to congratulate my GT3 class mates. First, Jeremy for his inspired driving and Ron for consistently bringing his "A" game to every event. Jeremy thinks Ron has too much of a lead but what about those double points? Finally, I think Martin will round out the GT3 class podium if he makes it to Grand Bend. Watch for him in the future - he had me looking over my shoulder this year. Good luck to everyone at Grand Bend and at the DDT for the shootout. See you all next season!
                      Last edited by Carguy; 08-22-2015, 09:54 PM.
                      CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X