New Raw Time Challenge Classes added to Time-Attack series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Raw Time Challenge Classes added to Time-Attack series

Some folks have asked to make the rules a bit looser for the Mobil1 Ontario Time-Attack series to allow a wider variety of car preps to compete. Therefore in response, the series is adding 4 new classes this year for those of you more interested in going wild with your car prep for a time attack competition.

All of the safety requirements of OTA continue as before with the option of using a much looser classification system if that suits you.

The basic premise is that there will be 4 new classes basically based on wgt/hp as the car comes from the OE manufacturer. All suspension mods are allowed, any body lightening is allowed and engine mods are allowed with a few restrictions.

The top class is known as Raw Time Challenge (RTC) Unlimited and requires the use roll over protection and fire suits unless the car comes OEM with fewer than 7 lb/hp. Any car using race slicks will also require roll over protection , fire suits etc.

Please note that scoring for RTC classes is quite different and will not use the iPAX system used to score normal OTA events. Fastest time in class wins. Also note that these classes are in addition to the regular OTA classes.

There will be no need to submit a PIP schedule for approval to compete in the RTC classes.

Here is the basic bulletin for the addition of Raw Time Challenge

Base Classes:

RTC3: Power to weight ratio of greater than 15 lbs/hp.

RTC2: Power to weight ratio of greater than 11 to 15 lbs/hp.

RTC1: Power to weight ratio of greater than 7 to 11 lbs/hp.

RTC Unlimited:
    Power to weight ratio of under 7 lbs/hp.

*all base classes use the published OEM weight and crank hp unless the engine has been swapped (see below)

Modifications:

Engine swap: Power to weight ratio to be re-calculated based on manufacturer published OEM weight of the vehicle and manufacturer published OEM hp of the engine being swapped in.

Aftermarket turbo or super charger added: moves you up one class.

Other engine modifications (cams, intake, header, exhaust, etc), aero, suspension and brake upgrades do not affect classing

Tires:

140 UTQG or higher: classing unaffected.
    60-139 UTQG: move up one class.
    59 UTQG or less (or non DOT tires): move up two classes.

*non DOT or slicks require a roll over protection, fire suit, etc. All cars that are stock under 7 lb/hp but not using slicks do not require roll over protection or fire suits.

Scoring:
    100 points for first in class
    70 points for second in class
    50 points for third in class
    30 points for fourth in class
    20 points for fifth in class
    10 points for sixth in class

The organizers see this as a way to get folks who might be intimidated by our classification system to join in and compete. Does it work for you?
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Re: New Raw Time Challenge Classes added to Time-Attack series

Let me see if I have this correct. My Mini Cooper would start RTC3 and I would be free to do whatever mods to the car??? Only slicks would require me to have rollover protection?

Like the idea, but not to sure about where rollover protection should be required??? I have a full cage and wouldn't consider running it at full speed (especially at CTMP) in it's current state without ROP regardless of slicks or UTQG of tires. Also some of the wild builds for the " other series " could run without ROP?

Just saying!!!!

Comment

Just a question about the scoring:

Do points in these classes count toward the series championship as they do in other classes or are they maintained separately?
      Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Originally posted by kmorris View Post
        Just a question about the scoring:

Do points in these classes count toward the series championship as they do in other classes or are they maintained separately?

They will be maintained separately as they aren't really comparable.

BTW, my apologies Kevin, but RTC Unlimited class is basically equivalent to our Mod 1 class and Open Mod cars are not allowed
        Last edited by Dave Barker; 03-22-2016, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I wasn't really asking for myself; just wondering what potential runners in these classes will expect in terms of their competitive status - being involved and running in a class kind of implies being "part of the championship".
          Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Please clarify whether in the new classes we take Hp at the wheels and weight including the driver?
            Thanks
            Martin W

Comment

There is an asterisked point, but it might have been lost in the middle of the original post:

*all base classes use the published OEM weight and crank hp unless the engine has been swapped (see below)

Comment

That is pretty cool.

So can I compete in BOTH SGT2 and RTC2?

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Viggen View Post
                  Please clarify whether in the new classes we take Hp at the wheels and weight including the driver?
                  Thanks
                  Martin W
                  Martin, RTC classing is pretty loose and is designed to be that way. The wgt/hp calculation is based on OEM crank HP and OEM weight

Originally posted by 2TH PWR View Post
                  That is pretty cool.

So can I compete in BOTH SGT2 and RTC2?
                  Sure, but remember that to run in SGT2 (or whichever of the regular OTA classes your pick) you will need a PIP schedule submission. No PIP schedule needed for RTC although you will be expected to defend your basic wgt/hp calculation to your class competitors if asked and might want to look at what your car is rated at in the CCDB.

Comment

Originally posted by kmorris View Post
                    I wasn't really asking for myself; just wondering what potential runners in these classes will expect in terms of their competitive status - being involved and running in a class kind of implies being "part of the championship".
                    OTA uses a handicap system known as PAX and this year we hope to use an individual rather than class based system or iPAX to compare drivers of very different vehicles at very different levels of car prep.

RTC is strictly time based and no doubt good car prep will be essential to winning any RTC class as well as good driving. It is a different type of competition. We hope to be able to appeal to folks who like either type of competition and as you know, we offer the best tracks and schedule in the country.

Comment

As some of you may know Im not shy and I don't mind sharing my point of view.

IM NOT SOLD!!

If OTA wants competitors from other series they need to stop trying to re write the rule book and copy and paste instead. Many of the popular time attack series in North America operate on incredibly similar rules. I understand OTA doesn't want to add 9 classes to the series so Ill make it easy.

ONLY 3 classes!!

1.Enthusiast
                      2.Club Sport
                      3.Unlimited

Here is how simple it is

Enthusiast class requires that your car is registered for the road and meet the following tire requirements.
                      Cars must use DOT-approved treaded tires with a minimum UTQG-rating of 180 or higher
                      Max width
                      FWD 225
                      AWD 245
                      RWD 275

Club Sport is for cars that are used on the street but are primarily prepared for the track
                      Cars must use DOT-approved treaded tires with a minimum UTQG-rating of 80 or higher.
                      Max width
                      FWD 255
                      AWD 275
                      RWD 295

Unlimited
                      Exactly that! Bring it run it slicks as big as you want go for gold!!

No confusion on HP vs. weight no PIP's to confuse the noobs!! Its easy if you have 180+ you go in Enthusiast 100-170 you are in club sport want to run slicks join unlimited. The tire size limitations per drivetrain keeps things on a level playing field and you can visibly monitor it with out confusion.
                      Make it easy for people to cross over between different series and they will.
                      Last edited by GT42RR; 03-23-2016, 10:30 PM.
                      Dov Aronoff
                      OTA Social Media Rep
                      SPDA Ontario Time Attack Rep

Comment

We were well aware of the Global Time Attack rules and wanted something even simpler.

Also didn't think the average Miata owner wants to run in the same class as a C5 Corvette, at least not without a LS motor in it. How about a non turbo Impreza against an aftermarket boosted STI? Our RTC rules are designed to give at least some reasonable competition, not discourage guys who don't have the "right" car.

Not a lot of tires in the 100-180 range but tons at 200.

As for going wild, we already have the Mod 1 class.

As for crossing series, the other guys have 2 events in direct conflict with ours. They are at TMP when we are at Mosport International and they are at Grand Bend when we are at Shannonville Pro. Which tracks would you rather run?

The 2 different time attack series are very different and appeal to different groups. No one group can be everything to everyone. Our main purpose of adding RTC classes was not to "steal" people from another series but to ease the entry of new folks to race track competition.

Comment

See Dave that is where you missed the point! You already have the PAX system for the Miata guys without LS swaps and the stock NA Impreza guys. OTA has the "right" class for just about every car. If you are really looking to grow and find new competitors you may just have to conform with the Global time attack format.

Tires in the 80-170 as follows FYI this is just off the top of my head Im sure there are more.
                          Toyo R888
                          Hankook Ventus TD
                          Achilles ATR-K
                          Maxis VICTRA RC-1
                          Federal 595RS-R
                          Nankang NS2R

Good news about Mod1!! But I thought these were separate classes not to disrupt the OTA PIP program.

Im not sure if you aware but now there is more than one other series in Ontario. CSCS is the one you are thinking about. The new series is being super aggressive with marketing and vendors to bring more people through the gate. You should have a look and see what they have to offer.

We understand that the tracks OTA is at are better tracks for competition but let me remind you that TMP is the benchmark in Ontario for time attack. I know its a boring simple layout but its the most accessible to the general public and has become the benchmark.

Yes no three series will be the same nor will you be able to keep everyone happy. I don't know why you feel like you are going to "steal" people from another series. You are just giving people that love to race more weekends available to have FUN!! If the rules are similar it makes the change over EASY!

If you really want to bring new people to the track the typical OTA PIP schedule works best as you are classed correctly for the more basic moded cars. The more LOOSE rules seem to fit better to the more radical builds and that is why the North American Time Attack rules would be better suited.

Regards
                          Just a guy looking to a alternative to the "other series"
                          Last edited by GT42RR; 03-24-2016, 08:12 AM.
                          Dov Aronoff
                          OTA Social Media Rep
                          SPDA Ontario Time Attack Rep

Comment

I really like the new classes and hope to have the Mini ready for the early events.
                            I can play with the car all I like, even between events and I don't have to be concerned with PIPS/ iPAX etc. No need to optimize the car for class. Just show up and run...see what happens. Unlike CSCS, I won't be in with some 600hp Civic that happens to have a full interior or other such open class rules. As long as I work with what the car was delivered with, I can likely field a competitive car.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

As a new competitor (2015 was the first time I've EVER competed), I like the idea that I can get my feet wet but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage because the car I'm starting with is a modded Subaru Impreza STI.

I started as just a regular car guy who bought a Subaru and got the modding bug. I upgraded my turbo, a couple of suspension parts, and a tune. The idea was to drive on a race track but as I did this more often, I decided it would be great to give time attack a try.

But since I'm starting with this car, and this is all I have (other than my wife's car which I won't use!), I've had to start in SGT2 last year. This year, I'm in SGT2 again and I'll have to compete against least season's champ! If I were to enter the RTC classes, I'll have to start in RTC Unlimited which I'm definitely not optimized for!

I know the idea of placing cars in classes is to somewhat put the cars on a similar footing but I feel like lower powered cars have more of an advantage in this series for beginners.

Maybe I should have gotten a Miata!
                              Moses W.
                              OTA #9 SGT2 - 2007 White Subaru Impreza STI

Comment

Working...
                              X