Simpson Hybrid head restraint 3 point belt compatible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpson Hybrid head restraint 3 point belt compatible

Just reading about the Simpson head restraint designed to work with OEM 3 point belts. Anyone had any experience with this item?
    Kelly B. GT Class Competitor 2011 - 2014
    OTA Director 2015
    ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Re: Simpson Hybrid head restraint 3 point belt compatible

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
    Just reading about the Simpson head restraint designed to work with OEM 3 point belts. Anyone had any experience with this item?
    Better to go this route. Get the harness grips. https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/quickfit-pro
    sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
    OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
      Better to go this route. Get the harness grips. https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/quickfit-pro
      Looks interesting too. Only concern I would have is inability to move out of the way in a rollover scenario. Without roll bar or cage I don't see how a hans is safe.
      OTA Director 2015
      ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

It has the ASM yielding inner belt you insisted be written into the rules... but you won't use it?
        Last edited by Slowpoke; 12-12-2016, 05:12 PM.
        sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
        OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Basilar skull fractures with 3 point belts are extremely rare from what I've seen since your body twists as it decelerates. The issue is when your shoulders are pinned to the seat and your head keeps going.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
            It has the ASM yielding inner belt you insisted be written into the rules... but you won't use it?
            I made that decision after a lot of research and I stand by it. But this head and neck restraint use with 3 point belts is new territory (to me anyway), so just researching it too. If there is an ASM yielding inner belt, then that is indeed a good thing and it just might work! More reading to do....
            OTA Director 2015
            ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
              Basilar skull fractures with 3 point belts are extremely rare from what I've seen since your body twists as it decelerates. The issue is when your shoulders are pinned to the seat and your head keeps going.
              Exactly. Hence the need to be very careful with safety equipment. To be honest, anything short of full cage, hans, driving suit etc. is really just a band aid solution to safety. Might be better off going for the full kit or staying with OEM set up. It certainly worked for me in my situation, but maybe I was lucky....
              OTA Director 2015
              ASN/FIA Committee 2015

Comment

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
                Exactly. Hence the need to be very careful with safety equipment. To be honest, anything short of full cage, hans, driving suit etc. is really just a band aid solution to safety. Might be better off going for the full kit or staying with OEM set up. It certainly worked for me in my situation, but maybe I was lucky....
                Newer cars have to pass really strict safety requirements to be sold, so unless you're changing part of the system it should still be very safe.

Comment

I actually participated in the Manufacturer live webcast to bring this product to the fore and after seeing all of the data and video test results and listening to various speakers - it convinced me that it is an improvement over just 3 point in a crash when it comes to basal skull fracture. Didn't pull the trigger on the flash sale because I Am just debating whether to go full race car this year and compete in GT sprints / challenge or just lap in my daily again. Decisions decisions...

Comment

Bringing this thread back. I've started looking into the Simpson Hybrid S since it can be used in both race cars and 3-pt belt cars. I've noticed it being used in lots of company sponsored track videos (Eg. Ron Fellows driving a Corvette around Mosport, In-car Video from Car & Driver Lightning Lap), and I've heard it's a mandatory piece of safety gear for the Corvette ZR1 driving school at Spring Mountain. To me that seems like fairly large 'general acceptance' by people that ought to know about these things.

Below is a link to a Ross Bentley Podcast where he talks to Simpson about the Hybrid S. The fellow from Simpson says he uses the Hybrid S on track, in his uncaged convertible. Not a great advocate for 'safety first', but certainly would make you think he feels the benefit of the device is worth any possible downside in a rollover scenario.
                    https://speedsecrets.com/118-trevor-...-need-to-know/

Has anyone here personally worn a Hybrid S? How restricted are you in terms of side to side movement when you're wearing a 3 point? I'm curious if this is really a 'no downside' addition to safety gear, or if it depends on your crash scenario whether this helps or hinders your odds of injury.
                    Andy
                    Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

Originally posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
                      Bringing this thread back. I've started looking into the Simpson Hybrid S since it can be used in both race cars and 3-pt belt cars. I've noticed it being used in lots of company sponsored track videos (Eg. Ron Fellows driving a Corvette around Mosport, In-car Video from Car & Driver Lightning Lap), and I've heard it's a mandatory piece of safety gear for the Corvette ZR1 driving school at Spring Mountain. To me that seems like fairly large 'general acceptance' by people that ought to know about these things.

Below is a link to a Ross Bentley Podcast where he talks to Simpson about the Hybrid S. The fellow from Simpson says he uses the Hybrid S on track, in his uncaged convertible. Not a great advocate for 'safety first', but certainly would make you think he feels the benefit of the device is worth any possible downside in a rollover scenario.
                      https://speedsecrets.com/118-trevor-...-need-to-know/

Has anyone here personally worn a Hybrid S? How restricted are you in terms of side to side movement when you're wearing a 3 point? I'm curious if this is really a 'no downside' addition to safety gear, or if it depends on your crash scenario whether this helps or hinders your odds of injury.
                      You made me worry I had missed out on an entirely new thread for a second!

That said, I don't have any personal experience but I know several people who have and it doesn't seem overly restrictive. I am planning to get one myself as soon as my car and my finances allow me to get back to the track!

Kevin
                      Kevin Wong
                      GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
                      2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

I am looking into one as well. There are videos on YouTube, and Grass Roots Motorsports did a comparison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_30hqE460
                        Jim
                        Jim - #115 - '07 Corvette Z51
                        sigpic

Comment

Looking at the hybrid, I would have thought the large composite back would make a regular seat quite uncomfortable as it obviously sticks out there. For those of you who have one of these already, is that a problem?

Also for those of us with Schroth head and neck restraints, the helmet hardware is different and would need to be changed.

OTOH, putting a cage or even an approved harness bar in a car to allow the use of a HANS device with a harness is going to involve at least as much work and money as the premium cost of the Hybrid vs a regular HANS but you need to remember that a full 6 point harness is a performance enhancing safety feature while a hybrid is just a safety feature as you are still only attached to the car as well as your 3 point OEM belts work.
                          Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

That's true Dave, but then you run into two issues if you go the HANS/harness bar route. 1. What if your accident is a rollover? and 2. What if you have an accident while instructing, or worse, driving someone else's car with a 3-pt belt?
                            Andy
                            Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

We had a fair discussion about allowing HANS devices with harness bars and the reason we decided to allow them (if appropriately constructed and attached to the vehicle) was that if was felt that the risk of a frontal impact is much higher than a roll over and therefore the benefits of HANS out weigh the potential risk. Also a lot of newer cars have much better roll over protection than a lot of older cars making the risk of roof collapse on roll over very car specific while the sudden deceleration and trauma to the cervical spine is only speed specific and applies to all vehicles. That being said, your point on instructing in a car not approved for a shoulder harness is quite valid and having a hybrid is obviously superior to not having one.

Still wonder if the stiff back part of a hybrid is comfortable enough to not be distracting.
                              Last edited by Dave Barker; 03-31-2021, 08:10 PM.
                              Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Working...
                              X