WIL: DDT Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIL: DDT Weekend

The RE71R's seem to be fast right down to the cords.. What I don't like about them is the unusual wear you get from the middle water channel groove. I have run them for 4 track days 3 of those being events and there is still tire left. No rotating option in a FWD car.

I may however swap sides left sides to right sides, this will require swapping them on the wheels; it could help level the wear!

My only two events left are Shannonville and it will roast them anyhow..

The guys in the Type R had some pretty bald RE71R's and they seem to be running really well.

The Toyo's are a lot pricier than the Bridgestones.

Comment

With the discounts available, for me the Toyo’s were the same price as RE71R’s.

Having run the 71R’s in 2016, the RS4’s in 2017 and now the Toyo’s, I would say the 71R is the faster tire, with the RS4’s and Toyo’s being pretty much on par with each other in terms of performance. At least for me and my driving style, both the RS4’s and Toyo’s don’t have the same mid corner grip as the 71Rs

In terms of wear, the 71Rs didn’t last very long, I still have about half the tread left from last year’s RS4s, and the Toyo’s seem to be somewhere in the middle of the two.

The Toyo’s seem like a decent tire, but not the fastest........though the driver a certain yellow Mustang seems to disprove this point
      sigpic
      Carsten - OTA #276 GT1

Comment

Originally posted by IWannaGoFast View Post
        With the discounts available, for me the Toyo’s were the same price as RE71R’s.

Having run the 71R’s in 2016, the RS4’s in 2017 and now the Toyo’s, I would say the 71R is the faster tire, with the RS4’s and Toyo’s being pretty much on par with each other in terms of performance. At least for me and my driving style, both the RS4’s and Toyo’s don’t have the same mid corner grip as the 71Rs

In terms of wear, the 71Rs didn’t last very long, I still have about half the tread left from last year’s RS4s, and the Toyo’s seem to be somewhere in the middle of the two.

The Toyo’s seem like a decent tire, but not the fastest........though the driver a certain yellow Mustang seems to disprove this point
        RS4s are practically immortal.

I ran all of OTA season last year including the 2 schools, all the PADA school and lapping days, autocross (5 events) AND I still have 35% tread left.

RE71Rs are hands down grippier but the RS4s aren't that insanely worse and cost less I believe.
        Kevin Wong
        GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
        2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Thanks to everyone that lent a hand/tool to get the 1er resuscitated and pushed onto my trailer. It was greatly appreciated!

wrt RE71Rs. I find my fronts get super grippy about 1/3rd of the way into the outlap. So much so that I always say a mental "wow" as the front axle basically flings the rest of the car from left to right on corner entry. By the time the warm up is done, the rears have come online while the fronts have dropped off a tad.
          Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-15-2018, 08:33 AM.
          2008 BMW 135 - SGT1

Comment

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
            Pawel, what size Tire and what was the wheel width?
            Looks like it might be a combination of not listening to understeer and a narrow wheel.
            I'm running 225/50ZR15 tyres on 7" wide wheels, I don't think that would cause an issue?

I was definitely understeering a lot, I will have to adjust my driving style until that problem is fixed with better suspension and/or alignment. Anyway,I'm just surprised by how badly I destroyed them...
            Pawel Bienkowski
            GT4 BMW 328i #105

Comment

Originally posted by Bienio90 View Post
              I'm running 225/50ZR15 tyres on 7" wide wheels, I don't think that would cause an issue?

I was definitely understeering a lot, I will have to adjust my driving style until that problem is fixed with better suspension and/or alignment. Anyway,I'm just surprised by how badly I destroyed them...
              Large sidewall with an undersized wheel, 225/45/15 with a 8" wheel would be much better. The tire is probably rolling over.

Comment

Finally got around to looking at the Aim Solo data from this year, last year and the year before so here goes:

1) It is very disappointing to go slower in each subsequent year i.e. 1.5 seconds slower this year than last.

2) It is nice to see that the Aim data supports my perception that the car didn't want to turn right. Even on my best lap, the slowest corner on the track (which used to be a left hander for me and is now a right hander) was 8 kph slower than last year.

3) when looking at the car, sometimes you can make a guess about the camber and it seems mine had become very asymmetrical

4) Sometimes the reason for the handling deterioration are not as simple as it seems.

Some explanation. After finding the car didn't want to turn right (bad thing on a clockwise track) I eyeballed that I seemed to have a lot more camber on the right front of the car and not on the left.Thought it was the control arms and not the camber adjustment bolts (which I have locking pieces for). Got around to changing the front LCAs (they are 14 year old rubber after all) and got the car aligned. (Thanks again to Kris Dickson at Clarington Hyundai for an excellent job). Seems I had lots more camber on the right side of the car than the left both front and rear. Turns out that I was too lazy and didn't check the subframe mounting bolds and likely both the front and rear subframes had shifted to the right adding camber to the right side and removing it from the left. Fixed now and alignment is where it should be. Can't wait to try it out at MIR
                Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Working...
                X