• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowpoke
    replied
    Re: OTA CTMP-GP Photos

Originally posted by LemonJus View Post
    Both. I worked 2004, 2005 and then again in 2008.

We had issues with insurance where they were strangling us for allowing spectators to get that close.

In 2003 the Sprongls crashed their Evo out of Iron Bridge if I recall correctly and then flipped onto this guys front yard. He wasn't too happy. I remember him coming to me in 2004 and asking if that was happening again. We had closed the bridge as it was condemned and no longer part of the track.

In 2004, during the night rally one of the WRXs flipped on the downhill near the river and spectators rushed the field trying to right the car. It was hectic trying to make sure everyone stayed put. I have old photos on my FB page but haven't uploaded some of the videos. Need to dig those up.
    TP Media has changed a lot. Three different access levels. You need to do a movement plan which is directly approved or altered by the clerk of the course. Iron Bridge has been back in it at least the last 5 years that I've been volunteering. Anything downhill of a jump like Tanner posted is red taped unless it's at an elevated or well back position. Not sure if it happened back then, but three course cars go through checking spectator position and tape before the stage is opened. The outside of a corner is a no-go zone. Still some very good spectating locations.

Leave a comment:

• LemonJus
    replied

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
    You worked at TP back then? Bunch of us used to do the VIP group from 2004 to 2008, if I remember, Taline use to run the VIP program.

Was the clamp down for just spectators or for both spectators and media?
    Both. I worked 2004, 2005 and then again in 2008.

We had issues with insurance where they were strangling us for allowing spectators to get that close.

In 2003 the Sprongls crashed their Evo out of Iron Bridge if I recall correctly and then flipped onto this guys front yard. He wasn't too happy. I remember him coming to me in 2004 and asking if that was happening again. We had closed the bridge as it was condemned and no longer part of the track.

In 2004, during the night rally one of the WRXs flipped on the downhill near the river and spectators rushed the field trying to right the car. It was hectic trying to make sure everyone stayed put. I have old photos on my FB page but haven't uploaded some of the videos. Need to dig those up.

Leave a comment:

• Tanner
    replied

You worked at TP back then? Bunch of us used to do the VIP group from 2004 to 2008, if I remember, Taline use to run the VIP program.

Was the clamp down for just spectators or for both spectators and media?

Leave a comment:

• LemonJus
    replied

Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOhAqRUODg

You see that guy in a black jacket behind that tree that would probably offer ZERO protection on a car, in this case, Patrick Richard's Subaru that was probably being driving 110% chasing down Antoine L'Estage?

Yeah that was me. Closest ever to a car. Needless to say they don't allow media there anymore.

I don't even go down driver's right of turn four for the last couple of years, it was just a matter of time before something happened which it did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPFrSpNjEk
    WTF? I was a safety marshal back in 2004 at the Pines and we clamped down on this kind of closeness to the course. I haven't volunteered since 2008 but I didn't know they actually loosened the restrictions.

Leave a comment:

• Tanner
    replied

Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOhAqRUODg

You see that guy in a black jacket behind that tree that would probably offer ZERO protection on a car, in this case, Patrick Richard's Subaru that was probably being driving 110% chasing down Antoine L'Estage?

Yeah that was me. Closest ever to a car. Needless to say they don't allow media there anymore.

I don't even go down driver's right of turn four for the last couple of years, it was just a matter of time before something happened which it did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPFrSpNjEk
    Last edited by Tanner; 07-20-2018, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LemonJus
    replied

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
    But, but, this one is wearing safety green!
    Oh on that topic, I should lend you my "Rally Cars" book - the blurbs from the engineers from that era were scary-hilarious.

Not verbatim but along the lines of "It used to be crazy myth that touching a passing rally car was considered good luck but you see, we had all these ridiculous scoops for the intercoolers and brakes and once in a while a car would come back in smelling like burning flesh. We'd look inside and find finger tips and occasionally almost a whole finger."

YEESH.

Leave a comment:

• Slowpoke
    replied

Originally posted by LemonJus View Post
    That just ain't right. As a former safety marshal... NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.
    But, but, this one is wearing safety green!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tanner
    replied

Photogs back then defined track limits

Leave a comment:

• LemonJus
    replied

That just ain't right.

As a former safety marshal... NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.

Leave a comment:

• Slowpoke
    replied

When the racing and the coverage was far more dangerous...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tanner
    replied

That's a great idea, please do!

When you do have something drafted, send it to me via PM, had a few other thoughts after I posted that.

Leave a comment:

• Slowpoke
    replied

Glad you enjoyed your time shooting track side. Anybody that has shot track side at the major events know the rules (or should), but if you're new to it, here are the things you need to know for your own safety and to stay out of trouble.

1) Sign all of the disclaimers.... one at the gate, and another with the event organizer.
    2) For these events, I attend the driver meetings in the morning.
    3) Talk to one of the marshalls in advance if possible. There is at least one during the driver's meeting. With one knowing that you're out there, he/she will communicate this to the other marshalls so they're all aware that you will be out there.
    4) When you head out to a corner to shoot, always make yourself known to the marshall, say hi to them, they will very much appreciate it. Don't jump across the fence where they barely see you or can't see you.
    5) Listen to the marshalls, do not argue with them, if they tell you something do it. If you're unsure of something, ask them, they'll be more than glad to help you.
    6) Don't get in the marshall's way or line of sight... they need to see the cars.
    7) Know the rules of what you can do! Do not sit on the grass. Do not lie down on the grass for that low shot. Tripods not permitted during big races, not sure about smaller events like these. Monopod is allowed. Avoid using one knee on the ground. If you find the catch fence behind you, you are in the wrong spot. If you find a sign behind you, you are in the wrong spot. Do not lean against the concrete wall or catch fence. Do not put equipment on the wall. Do not stick your camera lens outside of the photo hole that are placed at some spots on the catch fence or rest your lens against the catch fence. You get the idea
    8) Some parts of the track is off limits. Drivers right down the backstraight is off limits. Inside of five. Anything past 5b drivers left. If you venture down four, there's a pallet and you're not supposed to go beyond that. If you find yourself where there's no concrete wall in front of you, you're in the wrong spot.
    9) Keep your head on a swivel stick! Always be prepared to run... I've had a Mini Coopers coming right at me, Camaro deciding to go on it's roof in front of me, NASCAR trucks... well that's another entire different thing
    10) Watch out for ticks if you decide to go through the bush. Wearing long pants is highly recommended (and if not, a requirement).
    Thanks for this, Michael! I'm going to edit and add it to our media application if that's okay with you?

Leave a comment:

• dmochkin
    replied

Thanks for the tips!
    After the morning mishap and the Race Control conversation that followed, I just followed the whatever instructions the marshals gave me and made sure to meet every single one of them before shooting in their "area of operations".
    Kept me out of trouble and most of them gave me their do's and don't's when asked for them.
    Overall it was a great learning experience!

Leave a comment:

• Tanner
    replied

Originally posted by dmochkin View Post
    Hello, my name is Dimitry and I was that photographer guy who got into a wee bit of issues in the beginning of Sunday.
    I want to thank the organizers (and race control) one more time for not kicking me out and for the overall welcoming attitude I experienced. Shooting an event track-side was a first for me and it was a phenomenal learning experience.
    Glad you enjoyed your time shooting track side. Anybody that has shot track side at the major events know the rules (or should), but if you're new to it, here are the things you need to know for your own safety and to stay out of trouble.

1) Sign all of the disclaimers.... one at the gate, and another with the event organizer.
    2) For these events, I attend the driver meetings in the morning.
    3) Talk to one of the marshalls in advance if possible. There is at least one during the driver's meeting. With one knowing that you're out there, he/she will communicate this to the other marshalls so they're all aware that you will be out there.
    4) When you head out to a corner to shoot, always make yourself known to the marshall, say hi to them, they will very much appreciate it. Don't jump across the fence where they barely see you or can't see you.
    5) Listen to the marshalls, do not argue with them, if they tell you something do it. If you're unsure of something, ask them, they'll be more than glad to help you.
    6) Don't get in the marshall's way or line of sight... they need to see the cars.
    7) Know the rules of what you can do! Do not sit on the grass. Do not lie down on the grass for that low shot. Tripods not permitted during big races, not sure about smaller events like these. Monopod is allowed. Avoid using one knee on the ground. If you find the catch fence behind you, you are in the wrong spot. If you find a sign behind you, you are in the wrong spot. Do not lean against the concrete wall or catch fence. Do not put equipment on the wall. Do not stick your camera lens outside of the photo hole that are placed at some spots on the catch fence or rest your lens against the catch fence. You get the idea
    8) Some parts of the track is off limits. Drivers right down the backstraight is off limits. Inside of five. Anything past 5b drivers left. If you venture down four, there's a pallet and you're not supposed to go beyond that. If you find yourself where there's no concrete wall in front of you, you're in the wrong spot.
    9) Keep your head on a swivel stick! Always be prepared to run... I've had a Mini Coopers coming right at me, Camaro deciding to go on it's roof in front of me, NASCAR trucks... well that's another entire different thing
    10) Watch out for ticks if you decide to go through the bush. Wearing long pants is highly recommended (and if not, a requirement).

Leave a comment:

• dmochkin
    replied

Thanks everyone!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X