Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIL: OTA weekend at SMP

Since Gary hasn't started the thread yet, figured I would. Here goes:

1- The people continue to be the best part of OTA. Everyone is helpful, friendly and always willing to get the best out of everyone. Many thanks to Walter for coming out and still helping even though he wasn't driving. Offers for help at the timing van are always appreciated. My mainstays of Mael, Nick and Ping were the bedrock of how I managed to get by the first year of being Chief Timer.

2- Many thanks to Gary for simplifying the van setup for the timing boom! It was MUCH easier to get going AND tear down!

3- SMP, like GP, continues to be a track where I have very little seat time. I will need to come out on more often other than just for OTA to get better at this track.

4- It seems downsizing from 255 square to 245 square has made the car considerably more tail happy and the 2001 front sway bar is not enough to keep the back end down on power either at GP, autocross and now at SMP. Time to get that 1 PIP hit and be done with it.

5- My first off track with OTA was not fun. Car is being taken to the shop on Thursday where Alex will likely slap the back of my head like any good Italian and wag his finger at me.

Many thanks to everyone for being patient with me as I figured out timing.

Official results are currently being reviewed before final publication on the website.

Cheers to a great 2018 season!

Kevin
    Kevin Wong
    GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
    2020 OTA Chief Timer

Re: WIL: OTA weekend at SMP

OTA has always depended on a handful of people who dedicate their time and defer seat time to make sure the rest of us enjoy ourselves.

Perry R. has unselfishly taken care of timing for many a year. Gary W. has also stepped in to help out, leave alone dedicating his van for the series. We owe everyone on the OTA team our gratitude but I wanted to focus this thanks to Gary and Perry who have both decided to take time and focus on competitive driving.

Continuing the tradition of timing, I just wanted to thanks Kevin W. for stepping up and taking over as Chief Timer. It is truly wonderful that we old guys bow to the new younger crop of competitors who get involved. I know Kevin has got a lot of support from a host of other new OTA volunteers who stuff the van with expertise and commitment.

Great Job Kevin for your big part in making the 2018 season successful!
    BadGer Racing:OTA #97 VW Passat & Supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS
    #97 BRC Mobile1 Echo ice racing

Comment

1) Rain and old NT01s worn down to "slick" status don't mix well

2) The bright side of spinning at turn 13 is that a) I got to show what to do when you have 2 wheels off the track i.e go further off the track to not drag mud on to it and b) it was a very short walk for all the helpers who helped push be out of the water soaked grass (see #1 above). Thanks again

3) Loaning your car to another competitor means you have to lower the tire pressures

4) As usual my best competition lap is in the last session of the day and often the last lap. Guess I'm a slow learner.

5) Climbing the stairs to the tower at SMP a number of times is moderately good exercise. The view from there is really good.

6) Denes, you da' man. Best BBQ ever. Don't think we even ran out of beer. No need to hit the Red Rock Canyon afterwards

7) I think I am fed up with Jeremy embarrassing just about every other competitor. (Myself included)

8) Considering how well Lloyd did on Saturday, I am thinking of moving to California. (No cheering please)
      Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

1) If you accumulate enough car problems, sometimes you just need to throw in the towel. My missing second gear, combined with intermittent engine shutdowns, made my car pretty much undrivable.

2) Much indebted to Dave B. for lending his car to allow me to complete my 5 events for the year. I tried to respect his generosity by keeping the car on the pavement and going slower than he did!

3) Driving a new car on track during a competition run with no practice (just the trip to the grid) took a little concentration.

4) Despite what you might think, a Corvette is a really big, really cushy car! (compared to my normal ride). Pretty similar in speed, but SO different. Lots of fun though, especially the wide powerband and easily managed power oversteer. LOONNGG braking distances required!
        Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Finally found time to add my 2 cents. Thanks for starting Kevin.

1. As always it is the volunteers who deserve 1st mention, especially the timing crew who did a great job all season long. They made it look easier than it really is.

2. Denes has found a full time job now as the BBQ maestro for the SMP event. What an outstanding feast, thanks to all involved.

3. Thanks to Joe Li for stepping in as the registrar, great to have you on board.

4. My track performance this year has been below my expectations and I think I figured out why, besides blowing an engine that is. First when changing engines it was found that a connector to an intake solenoid was broken thus limiting the top end by up to 1500 rpm. In addition I increased the spring rate all around in anticipation of using R888Rs but they didn't work well on my car. Reverting to RE71-Rs with the higher rates dropped laptimes by nearly 2% and my guess is reverting to the softer setup will account for the rest. Live and learn.

5. A great season for OTA overall, thanks to everyone.
          Gary Wood:
          GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

I don't know if I learned anything (unlike KevinM I already knew Corvettes were the best thing around) but it was great to be back. It was nice of Shannonville to have smoothed out the bumps a bit where the Pro/Long track crosses the Nelson track. I guess that could have happened anytime in the last 5 years, though.
            03 Z06 #72
            15 Prius V

Comment

Have been trying to get Kevin to get a more reliable, less "on the edge" competition car for a few years. I know the answer in the past has always been "Miata" but more recently Grassroots Motorsports suggested the other "answer" would be C5 Corvette.

(BTW Kevin, I know Brad's C5 is for sale but I also know of a guy in Durham region interested in selling an FRC car or fixed roof coupe). Brake upgrades are available but I am too cheap to buy them so you might just have to get used to loooonnng braking distances.
              Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Working...
              X