Competitors' meeting Nov 3, Topics for Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitors' meeting Nov 3, Topics for Discussion

The organizing clubs and Car Classification Committee are planning to have our yearly competitors' meeting on Nov 3, i.e the same day as the OTA banquet, time and place still pending.

Things went very well this year and we are not proposing any major rule changes. We would be happy to hear from you re making the series more competitive and more fun. BTW suggesting that we drop your specific car's handling index by 5-10 is not likely going to work. I already tried it.

Here are the topics we are thinking of

1) Considering having a double points event and announcing it before the season starts. The final details for this would be up to discussion

2) Considering changes to the PAX factors for Open Mod and Mod 1 classes

3) Potentially rewriting parts of the rule book to separate water injection and methanol injection in turbocharged engines

4) Trying to make all PIP schedules visible on line to all competitors under a secure password protected and not public URL

5) Altering the car classification of the 2015 Mustang with track pack and the Honda Type R, either by adjusting handling index or horsepower or both.

6) We are considering adding HI to cars with modern automatic transmission and not just to cars with DSG or similar transmission.

7) Likely the most important issue is considering the use of transponders for our timing needs. This is a major undertaking but given the fact that some modern cars are capable of crashing our time tested RFID system, we need to make our timing more reliable. This may well involve a rental program and will unfortunately cause an increase to competitor cost but will improve timing immensely as well as the life of the timers and lead to more track time for all.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Re: Competitors' meeting Nov 3, Topics for Discussion

Any chance of getting an event back at Grand Bend Motorplex?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post

1) Considering having a double points event and announcing it before the season starts. The final details for this would be up to discussion

4) Trying to make all PIP schedules visible on line to all competitors under a secure password protected and not public URL

7) Likely the most important issue is considering the use of transponders for our timing needs. This is a major undertaking but given the fact that some modern cars are capable of crashing our time tested RFID system, we need to make our timing more reliable. This may well involve a rental program and will unfortunately cause an increase to competitor cost but will improve timing immensely as well as the life of the timers and lead to more track time for all.
      1) I wouldn't be in favour of this since it would be unfair to those who may not be able to attend the double points event. Or for those who find the chosen double-points event track configuration their most problematic track configuration.

4) Great idea. How about prototyping the site using the PIP schedules from the 2018 season as a trial run? Give us all something to read during the winter.

7) Ignore my previous comment on #7. I see my error.

8) Grand Bend. I'd try to get out to GB for a two-event weekend, but I also recognize that the travel distance may be a problem for some.
      Last edited by jimmo-san; 10-15-2018, 07:02 PM.
      Jim (aka "Lawrence" in results). Red NA Miata and red NB Miata.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Galloway View Post
        Any chance of getting an event back at Grand Bend Motorplex?
        At this stage, we are not looking at Grand Bend. Historically, it has been our least attended venue despite the attractions of the town. Also there are a minimal number of configurations that we can run safely.

Comment

I'd also like to see a Grand Bend event, but certainly recognize that it has some safety short comings... (How hard is it to build a tire wall, seriously!?)
          Andy
          Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

Grand Bend Raceway has three configurations - Technical Circuit, Mod Circuit and Screaming Alien that we have run for the last 8 years without problems during Car Lapping Events. The SOAR Motorcycle Series also runs at Grand Bend Raceway. I believe the issue with safety is if an organizer changes from the proven Technical, Mod or Screaming Alien Circuits.

It would be wonderful to see the series return to Grand Bend Raceway in 2019. If The Bend was placed earlier in the schedule maybe the attendance would increase.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Elliot; 10-16-2018, 08:01 AM.
            Porsche 718 GTS, 2019 Civic Coupe LX Project Car, Grand Bend Raceway, Honda House Motorsports

Comment

At this stage, we are not looking at Grand Bend. Historically, it has been our least attended venue despite the attractions of the town. Also there are a minimal number of configurations that we can run safely.
              What is the breaking point for attendance? I'd love to see an event at Calabogie or a full weekend at MIR, move the school to a different day. Very simple, charge more and less people means more track time.

Comment

Attendance a few years ago was pretty lacking, but I think the series has grown exponentially!

There have been Thursday evening lapping day sell outs this year, and a Facebook Group that has blown up! With over 300 followers.

I bet we could make it Financially viable with just the morning lappers, and this could turn into some new competitors coming into our series.

I would throw some money at sponsoring a Grand Bend event..

Not sure how you can say the track is unsafe? If you are referring to the incident that happened to Rob McCauley a few years ago, that was a dumb track configuration that should never have been setup that way..

Grand Bend is the track I feel most safest at, their lapping days are the best organized and they always have ambulance and marshals on site.

Comment

Attendance a few years ago was pretty lacking, but I think the series has grown exponentially!

There have been Thursday evening lapping day sell outs this year, and a Facebook Group that has blown up! With over 300 followers.

I bet we could make it Financially viable with just the morning lappers, and this could turn into some new competitors coming into our series.

I would throw some money at sponsoring a Grand Bend event..

Not sure how you can say the track is unsafe? If you are referring to the incident that happened to Rob McCauley a few years ago, that was a dumb track configuration that should never have been setup that way..

Grand Bend is the track I feel most safest at, their lapping days are the best organized and they always have ambulance and marshals on site.
                  I'm always interested in exploring different tracks, as it adds a new level of challenge.

Perhaps the OTA committee can explore the idea of alternating to one different track each year.

Did I just read that Grant was proposing some sponsorship?

Dave can you put this idea forward for competitor input at the upcoming workshop?
                  TeamVDG - OTA#47

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy' by Browne & Frey

Comment

There we go, Grant will pay for it, problem solved.

Comment

Grand Bend is closer to the market I serve, so doing some kind of sponsorship would be ideal there! Not 4 hrs away in Shannonville.

If it gets Grand Bend on the schedule again it would get a few people excited.

Check out the facebook group, a lot of support for this track now!

Grant

Comment

Not sure how you can say the track is unsafe?
                        For me, it's because when you look at the run-off areas, you see trailers (or other vehicles), the back of grandstands, piles of random stuff, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the track, but there are lots of little things they could do that would make the track a whole lot safer for those rare instances that it matters.
                        Andy
                        Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

Grand Bend is closer to the market I serve, so doing some kind of sponsorship would be ideal there! Not 4 hrs away in Shannonville.

If it gets Grand Bend on the schedule again it would get a few people excited.

Check out the facebook group, a lot of support for this track now!

Grant
                          Your offer and lack of availability elsewhere could make this viable. Thank you, Grant. We can discuss it at the competitor meeting, but I think it's time to give this a shot again.
                          sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                          OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Now we have time and place. Sat November 3 /2018 at Dave and Busters in the "Midway" room

https://www.daveandbusters.com/locations/canada-vaughan

Even if you can't make it, please feel free to bring forward your suggestions, ideas etc either here or PM me directly.

Comment

Now we have time and place. Sat November 3 /2018 at Dave and Busters in the "Midway" room

https://www.daveandbusters.com/locations/canada-vaughan

Even if you can't make it, please feel free to bring forward your suggestions, ideas etc either here or PM me directly.
                              Hey Dave,

I read the date and the place, but can't seem to find the time. Please advise.
                              TeamVDG - OTA#47

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy' by Browne & Frey

Comment

Working...
                              X