X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elliot
    replied
    Re: Competitors' meeting Nov 3, Topics for Discussion

Stephen - you are right, thanks for pointing that out. I just corrected my post, thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Grant Galloway
    replied

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post
    What may have caused the confusion is that your stated laptimes were counter-clockwise. If they were clockwise, some of this confusion is instantly resolved.
    Yeah those are clockwise lap times, I have never run counter-clockwise at that track.. I believe that when the 3 configurations Technical, Modified and Screaming Alien are run in the clock-wise direction (as they are meant to be) that Grand Bend is a very safe track..

I really hope the series makes it back to the Bend!

Grant

Leave a comment:

• Slowpoke
    replied

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
    I only look at Grand Bend Raceway Circuits as being run Clockwise, I have been running there for the past 8 years.

It would be wonderful to see the OTA return. The 2019 Grand Bend Schedule is filling up - Mopar Canadian Super Bike Championship Round - SOAR Motorcycle Race Series - Racer 5 Motorcycle Road Race Training and Race Weekends, Canadian Mopar Drag Nationals plus a few large Drag Racing Events. It may be a challenge to book a date for 2019.
    What may have caused the confusion is that your stated laptimes were counter-clockwise. If they were clockwise, some of this confusion is instantly resolved.

Leave a comment:

• Elliot
    replied

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
    Running counter-clockwise, there were concrete barriers at the end of the straight on the day in question. Not close with brakes, but close enough without brakes to be a concern. (toward the end of the dragstrip). We had to avoid them so made a change. Perhaps they are no longer there. Just my 2 cents. Sounds like you have good layouts to consider.
    I only look at Grand Bend Raceway Circuits as being run Clockwise, I have been running there for the past 8 years.

It would be wonderful to see the OTA return. The 2019 Grand Bend Schedule is filling up - Mopar Canadian Super Bike Championship Round - SOAR Motorcycle Race Series - Racer 5 Motorcycle Road Race Training and Race Weekends, Canadian Mopar Drag Nationals plus a few large Drag Racing Events. It may be a challenge to book a date for 2019.

Leave a comment:

• 10gt61
    replied

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
    There are no concrete barriers in the runoff area at the end of the main straight, never have been.
    Running counter-clockwise, there were concrete barriers at the end of the straight on the day in question. Not close with brakes, but close enough without brakes to be a concern. (toward the end of the dragstrip). We had to avoid them so made a change. Perhaps they are no longer there. Just my 2 cents. Sounds like you have good layouts to consider.

Leave a comment:

• wparsons
    replied

Originally posted by Grant Galloway View Post
    Can I run Ethanol Race Fuel without pips?

If so I will order a drum..
    You'd need a tune on any car to run it, so it would be free with the appropriate ECU/boost PIPs. The ECU tune PIPs assume you're already optimized on the best gas for your car.

Leave a comment:

• jimmo-san
    replied

Something I thought for a few years now that would be good for OTA competitors to have would be a reporting of the financial results from each season.

For the accounting nerds among us, an Income Statement showing revenues (cash from event fees) and expenditures (track rentals, marshal fees, insurance, track rescue, EMS personnel, etc.) would help us all understand how well OTA is performing, financially speaking. We all have a vested interest in the success of OTA. Financial results are a big part of that, I assume.

Better yet would be a breakdown of the financial results by event, so that we can understand which events make money and which events break even or lose money. (Financial results from 2015 might help us all understand why an event at Calabogie is not being considered for the near future. ) If GBR is financially risky, we'd like to know that too.

I can understand why there might be some reluctance to make this information available. There might be some concern that there would be nit-picking over some expenditures here and there. We could all promise not to nit-pick.

This info could be made available on a password-protected site, possibly the same one as the PIP schedule site, if that goes ahead. Or presented verbally at some point. (If this is already done, please pardon my ignorance.)

Leave a comment:

• Elliot
    replied

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
    You were happy with the concrete barriers in the runoff area at the end of the main straight or have they been moved?

We had felt it was only appropriate to run the track(s) clockwise.
    There are no concrete barriers in the runoff area at the end of the main straight, never have been. Yes, the only appropriate way to run the Tracks is Clockwise.

Bottom line Grand Bend Raceway offers three Circuits that would be safe and appropriate. Thanks for considering a return to Grand Bend Raceway.

Leave a comment:

• Grant Galloway
    replied

Dave, The track is meant to be run in the clockwise direction.. Just like every other track we run on..

Have we ever run DDT or TMP Counter Clockwise??

The Technical Layout, Screaming Alien and the Modified Layout are all meant to run clockwise.. There is absolutely no issue with safety when run in this direction.

The issue with Rob going off was due to running a modified version of the technical track as John mentioned above.

I would rate Grand Bend as the safest track I have been on, in fact run off areas are more abundant and safer than any place else..

ie: Giant Mountain end of TMP Straight, Bumps at shannonville when you go off and guard rails at DDT with no run off areas if you miss your braking zone.

I have spun more at Grand Bend than any other track, without incident..

Grant

Leave a comment:

• Dave Barker
    replied

You were happy with the concrete barriers in the runoff area at the end of the main straight or have they been moved?

We had felt it was only appropriate to run the track(s) clockwise.

Leave a comment:

• Elliot
    replied

Here are an example of Lap Times based on the same driver with the same car (991 GT3) during June - July 2015 - all run clockwise:
    Grand Bend Raceway’s Technical Circuit - 69.97
    Grand Bend Raceway’s Screaming Alien Circuit - 67.35
    Grand Bend Raceway’s Modified Circuit - 54.80
    Last edited by Elliot; 11-07-2018, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Barker
    replied

Any idea of the average lap times on the various tracks at Grand Bend? I do remember running the Mod circuit and is was pretty short. At least at Shannonville we have no shortage of track and I think Grand Bend would be similar to running just the Fabi or Nelson tracks which we gave up a long time ago.

BTW, is Dunnville still in use?

Leave a comment:

• Slowpoke
    replied

1:30pm to 4:30pm. Then the banquet at 6pm. I have 15 power cards to help keep people entertained between events.

Leave a comment:

• Elliot
    replied

Originally posted by 10gt61 View Post
    Grant, Although I also enjoyed Grand Bend, we learned through experience that there were safety issues. That weekend, there were competitor's concerns over the anti-clockwise configuration, that would have had a vehicle that lost brakes at the end of the airstrip straight, crash into a concrete barrier. Not good. We ran a clockwise configuration and unfortunately Rob's no brakes incident occurred.

I would suggest the moral of the story is:

1. Consider the track you are going to run carefully, and,
    2. Be vigilant in checking your car, especially the brakes!
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, I believe Grand Bend Raceway has an excellent safety record when the Technical Circuit, Mod Circuit and Screaming Alien Circuits are used as they were designed, to be run Clockwise. As you suggest “Consider the Track you are going to run carefully”, which I would suggest to run the track as it is designed. The Clockwise Rob’s no Brake incident was on a modified version of the Technical Circuit which replaced Turn 1 and Turn 2 with a straight which resulted in a long straight headed towards the back of the Drag Strip grandstands. To put blame on the Track seems wrong, I believe the people who decided to change the layout should also take responsibility for the change in safety.

I would love to see OTA Time Attack return to Grand Bend Raceway. Obviously it is up to the committee to decide considering many things, but to say a Track is not safe based on past decisions to change the design of the layout is I believe, a little unfair to a facility.

I’m anxious to see the 2019 Schedule.
    Last edited by Elliot; 11-01-2018, 12:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• craig
    replied

A couple ideas - I ran with both organizations last year.

SCCA - http://www.sccahq.com/time-trials-rules/
    There are four preparation categories (not classes) in SCCA Time Trials; the two lowest categories use this rule, and the next highest category uses the same rule except E85 is allowed. Fuel is unrestricted for the top class.
    08. Fuel

Sport Category vehicles will use fuel which is “Federally approved for use on public highways.” This does not allow racing-type fuels which are available at service station pumps.

Fuels comprised of more than 15% ethanol may only be used when specified by the manufacturer (e.g., in the owner’s manual for flex-fuel vehicles).

Propane or CNG (compressed natural gas) fuel may be used in any category provided that the following conditions are met:
    The tank must be located in a safe location on the car and be firmly and securely mounted. This does not permit the cutting of vehicle sheet metal (e.g., the trunk floor) for tank installation.
    The tank must conform to Federal and local container standards and have an emergency relief/cut-off control.
    For use of propane or CNG as a fuel, no changes to the induction system of the engine may be made with the exception of the necessary fuel lines to the carburetor or fuel injection. There may also be no other engine parts changed.
    The entire system must meet local ordinances covering the use and transmission of compressed gas.
    Propane or CNG may not be used in combination with another fuel.
    GridLife - http://www.grid.life/trackbattle-time-attack-rules/
    Five preparation categories (not classes).
    Bottom category: only pump gasoline. No alternative fuels like E85
    Next two categories: any leaded or unleaded gas; and E85 okay
    Top two categories: anything, including Methanol.

In both SCCA and GridLife, stock ECU programming mods are allowed even in the lowest class, hence the strictures about E85 - which seems to be the favourite fuel for tuned turbo cars (except the Type R, as the direct-injection high-pressure fuel pump can't flow high enough for E85).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X