Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Live timing - what's working, what isn't - feedback wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping this back up now that the season is over. Always open to feedback (good and bad!!).

Comment

Since no one has posted anything yet, I'll kick start it.

I think we should make the default screen the overall best laps page the default landing screen (which is best viewed in landscape mode on a cell). We currently show both practice AND competition laps and I think we should only show practice IF practice is the current session. Once competition is active, practice columns go away and get replaced with competition and you now add "Class" and "Overall" target columns and the default view is listed by best PAX score currently.

The "view overall best laps" should be changed to read "View Current Class Standings" for people who want to see who's winning their class.

It'd also be nice to see if we can make page autorefresh.

And last, be nice to flash a little tag "ON TRK" to indicate who's driving currently. Good for people spectating remotely.

Kevin Wong
      OTA Chief Timer
      Kevin Wong
      GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
      2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Can you integrate columns for tire brand (for contingency) and size, power to weight, and how many pips in each of engine / gearing, susp, body, aero? How about comparison to track record column? How about a picture of the car when you click on someone's laps?

In the future, is it possible to set up split times throughout the track, or a radar to log top speed on the main straights?

Just day dreaming.
        2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
          Can you integrate columns for tire brand (for contingency) and size, power to weight, and how many pips in each of engine / gearing, susp, body, aero? How about comparison to track record column? How about a picture of the car when you click on someone's laps?

In the future, is it possible to set up split times throughout the track, or a radar to log top speed on the main straights?

Just day dreaming.
          As much as the data nerd in me wants to post this information (and rules also require competitors to have copies of their PIP schedule for all other competitors to view), there are several issues with this request:

1- Most people will be viewing on dinky cell phone (assume 5" screen). You're asking for a LOT of details crammed into the screen or a LOT of pages.
          2- PIP schedules should only be for fellow competitors to view and not the general public according to past precedence. So now we add a layer of security issues and such. Definitely do-able but annoying to maintain.
          3- Split times would require additional loop detectors which is $$$$. As much as I'd love to have this, it is out of OTA's budget and doesn't really do any value-add for the organization in general.
          4- The tire data would be interesting but it requires competitors to fill in accurately which I suppose is what the CCDB is supposed to do. Could add a small icon to designate Tire Brand maybe? Like Yo for Yokohama, Mi for Michelin, To for Toyo, Br for Bridgestone, etc.?
          5- Track record is something we want to integrate for the future but is a wee bit tricky given there is the ability to protest and such. This is something we were investigating already albeit not at the top of the pile of work we were planning for the winter.

Keep it coming!
          Kevin Wong
          2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Just day dreaming.
            Tire brand: we don't have the data for that, most people don't enter consistent data in the notes on the ccdb (ie someone might enter RE-71R, another RE71R, another Bridgestone RE71R, etc). From a timing perspective it would be garbage in, garbage out, and not so useful See below re CCDB re-write.

Track records: not stored anywhere currently, and there wasn't an import of previous years data from the old timing system. I think it's just tracked in excel or even paper right now There has been talk about this, figuring out how to automatically manage it is the difficulty. It gets really messy because someone can run a record lap, but then gets flagged as 2WO, and the record needs to be reverted. Once all the data is in the new system it gets a bit easier, but it's still a bit of a messy workflow.

PIP details: with the current split systems (CCDB is completely disjointed), that would be very difficult. I'm working on the plans to re-write the CCDB (and also possibly registration as well), with a more integrated bigger system the pip details (and driver car picture) become MUCH easier. Right now all data has to be imported into the timing system via CSV files, once there's good integration it'll be much wider open. We could also make tire selection much more explicit to help with the contingency idea above. With better integration we could possibly even open up access to view the full pip schedule for anyone logged in and is also a competitor at the event (it *could* be public, but I think there's privacy concerns there?)

Splits: Kevin covered it, doable but expensive. Also, not sure any track but GP has multiple loops buried. SMP and CMP might, TMP and DDT definitely don't.

Integrating radar would be next to impossible without making it VERY manual. We do know track length and lap time, so calculating and displaying average lap speed is pretty trivial. I've actually bounced the idea around before, just never jumped on it.

Don't take any of this as a reason to stop dreaming, I'm still very early in the planning for the next big pieces to work on and wild ideas could help shape things still.

Comment

Will never stop dreaming!

How about integration of track conditions / weather during the laps? Maybe pulled automatically by a crawler and into a database?
              2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by wparsons View Post

Tire brand: we don't have the data for that, most people don't enter consistent data in the notes on the ccdb (ie someone might enter RE-71R, another RE71R, another Bridgestone RE71R, etc). From a timing perspective it would be garbage in, garbage out, and not so useful See below re CCDB re-write.
                Will, if you re-write the CCDB then tire brands could be made more consistent by using a pull-down menu. (Agreed, it might be a PITA to populate the "tire brand" list, but I'm sure just a few brands would capture 90% of what competitors use.)

Also, it would be good to be able to show to our sponsors (Toyo) that we're using Toyo tires. Maybe not so good if not everyone (or few) are using Toyo tires.

Originally posted by wparsons View Post
                PIP details: with the current split systems (CCDB is completely disjointed), that would be very difficult. I'm working on the plans to re-write the CCDB (and also possibly registration as well), with a more integrated bigger system the pip details (and driver car picture) become MUCH easier. Right now all data has to be imported into the timing system via CSV files, once there's good integration it'll be much wider open. We could also make tire selection much more explicit to help with the contingency idea above. With better integration we could possibly even open up access to view the full pip schedule for anyone logged in and is also a competitor at the event (it *could* be public, but I think there's privacy concerns there?)
                The idea of showing the PIP details is a great idea. I would have no concerns about "privacy issues" in disclosing the PIP details on my car. It might even make the competition more competitive if everyone could view last year's PIP schedules and plan their mods over the winter for the next season.

“When the going gets tough, the tough go turbo.”

Comment

Will never stop dreaming!

How about integration of track conditions / weather during the laps? Maybe pulled automatically by a crawler and into a database?
                  That's actually pretty doable, I'll run it past Kevin.

Originally posted by jimmo-san View Post
                  Will, if you re-write the CCDB then tire brands could be made more consistent by using a pull-down menu. (Agreed, it might be a PITA to populate the "tire brand" list, but I'm sure just a few brands would capture 90% of what competitors use.)

Also, it would be good to be able to show to our sponsors (Toyo) that we're using Toyo tires. Maybe not so good if not everyone (or few) are using Toyo tires.
                  Yep, that's part of the idea. Keeping a list of tire manufacturers and models isn't that bad.

Originally posted by jimmo-san View Post
                  The idea of showing the PIP details is a great idea. I would have no concerns about "privacy issues" in disclosing the PIP details on my car. It might even make the competition more competitive if everyone could view last year's PIP schedules and plan their mods over the winter for the next season.
                  Other people might not be so open to the details of their car being out there, especially since it could make them the target of thieves if anyone can view the full mod list. I think at most anyone could only view the PIP Schedules for other competitors at an event they were also registered (and confirmed/paid) at.

Comment

The weather thing is something I wouldn't mind and if pulled from a reputable source via an API would make it reliable. The only tricky one is GP since it can have 3 different weather effects all over the track!

We've been arguing internally about making the PIP schedules open for all to see but privacy concerns wound up trumping a lot the pros to make it viewable to all. We are trying to work out something though.

Kevin
                    Kevin Wong
                    2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Working...
                    X