Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Live timing - what's working, what isn't - feedback wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Live timing - what's working, what isn't - feedback wanted!

For any competitors, spectators, friends, etc that have been watching times on the new live timing site, I'd love some feedback on some things:

1) What do you like
    2) What do you dislike
    3) What is just adding clutter and should be removed
    4) What is missing
    5) Any bugs/issues you've experienced

I want to start compiling a list before the winter. No promises on what gets completed in the off season, but I'd like to get ideas while they're fresh in people's minds! I already have a bunch of things to clean up, especially the visuals, but I'm sure there's other feedback out there! Please don't hold back, I won't be offended by any feedback.

If you haven't seen it yet, it's here: http://livetiming.time-attack.ca/

Excellent work, Will, It's a great addition to Time Attack results reporting. There were some earlier comments about including the warm-up lap in the competition timing results, but I have no problem with this being included. In fact, it's interesting to see it there, to see if we're driving too fast or too slowly during the warm-up lap. At the moment I see no changes required.
    Jim (aka "Lawrence" in results). Red NA Miata and red NB Miata.

Comment

Thanks, that's a "TMP only" thing since it's the only track where you pass by the timing loop before completing the warm up lap. It's definitely something to keep in mind for the future though.

Comment

The new system is excellent and works well. Thanks for the foresight and hard work to all who made it happen. I don't see the need for change.
        Gary Wood:
        GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

The timing system has been a significant improvement to the series thanks to our head timers true dedication to the series.

The only thing that confused me on ,LIVE TIMING results, was I always thought my first run was my best run, until I realized that the results are posted as the best one first to the last.

For some of us who are too cheap and lazy to buy and install a lap timer, would it be possible to set up the live results by the actual runs? In other words, list the first run first and last one in the sequence.

This way it will allow some of us to determine our progression or lack of it by the number of runs we take.

Perhaps if there was a way of highlighting in bold the best time.

Only suggestion, otherwise big thumbs up!
          BadGer Racing:OTA #97 VW Passat & Supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS
          #97 BRC Mobile1 Echo ice racing

Comment

If you click on your name it takes you to a details page that shows every lap, in order, with time of day. I thought that had been communicated, but maybe not.

http://livetiming.time-attack.ca/eve...or/103/details

Comment

Hi Will,
              Usually links are shown in different colour and underlined. Not sure if that could be added to the format of the page for the person's name?

Also, this live timing needs to be advertised more! It's an excellent resource and really appreciated. Not having to connect to the OTA wifi is much better.
              '11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.

Comment

I do have questions... I have 5 lap times shown for the last event, but others have less. I know they competed in multiple heats (Adam for example) but their times do not show. Just a glitch?
                '11 Red STI #373

Comment

Originally posted by dubya_rx View Post
                  Hi Will,
                  Usually links are shown in different colour and underlined. Not sure if that could be added to the format of the page for the person's name?

Also, this live timing needs to be advertised more! It's an excellent resource and really appreciated. Not having to connect to the OTA wifi is much better.
                  Over the winter I want to do a full redesign of the layout/style for all the pages, seeing that people didn't realize they could click on their names to see more details is a giant red flag that it's not intuitive enough. It also drives me nuts that the two pages look so different from each other, but that's just my OCD kicking in.

I do have questions... I have 5 lap times shown for the last event, but others have less. I know they competed in multiple heats (Adam for example) but their times do not show. Just a glitch?
                  Can you check again and see if it's corrected, there was some downtime with the mobile hotspot and some times weren't synced originally. I *think* I got them all last night. Adam was definitely one of them, but you were missing a couple times too.

There is a queuing/retry mechanism built in, but I have to write better instructions to make sure the timer knows how to handle failure scenarios, and make it easier to verify the status. The joys of spotty internet and distributed systems

Comment

How much of this is hand entered?

Looks like my heats 1 and 2 are combined for event #7.
                    '11 Red STI #373

Comment

Will, Thanks for pointing this out. I thought the system was really good.. but those items I overlooked make it pretty powerful! Thank you!

I noticed it only highlights when one moves the cursor over the name and is not highlighted with an underline otherwise to indicate the drill down of information.

Wonder if you would use this as your model to keep under "Results" on the web page. Not sure what the implication with what the Head Timer puts out, but it seems to me that this would save time and effort.

Taking it to the next level would be putting an query feature, e.g. "ability to arrange track speed by pax time instead of real time etc." but that is only an extreme wish!

Keep up the great work!

BadGer Racing:OTA #97 VW Passat & Supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS
                      #97 BRC Mobile1 Echo ice racing

Comment

None of it is hand entered, heats were combined because a new session wasn't started while timing was running. Typical process is to start a new session with each run in the afternoon, it was accidentally missed. One enhancement I'm looking at for next year is a way to correct this after the event through the UI.

I *could* manually fix the data, but it would be a few hours of manual data manipulation and as far as I could find there isn't anyone with two heats combined that had their best time in one heat and 2WO or 4WO in the other that was combined. No real ROI for the time and risk.
                        Last edited by wparsons; 08-28-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarVolvo View Post
                          Will, Thanks for pointing this out. I thought the system was really good.. but those items I overlooked make it pretty powerful! Thank you!

I noticed it only highlights when one moves the cursor over the name and is not highlighted with an underline otherwise to indicate the drill down of information.
                          Glad that helps, the layout definitely needs some work to make it clearer and more intuitive.

Wonder if you would use this as your model to keep under "Results" on the web page. Not sure what the implication with what the Head Timer puts out, but it seems to me that this would save time and effort.
                          Up to the OTAO, but there's no technical limitation stopping it.

Taking it to the next level would be putting an query feature, e.g. "ability to arrange track speed by pax time instead of real time etc." but that is only an extreme wish!
                          Results are already ordered by PAX time (well, score, but score is a calculation off PAX time), but I really like hearing the ways people might want to use the data for ways to improve in the future. I can't promise anything, but the new database behind it would let us run really powerful analytics in the future once there is more seasons worth of data.

I struggled a lot with what data is useful for people, and how much screen space there is on phones. That's a big driver for wanting the feedback. If data is missing that people really want, then I'll find somewhere to make it fit.

Comment

This was my bad and will be noted in Timer's notes once we post results.

I was still catching up on something before Chris released the next group and forgot to initiate a new session to demarcate the new heat. As soon as that run for that group was done, I quickly initiated a new session which is why others show Heat #2 properly. Since no one went 2WO or 4WO, I did not ask Will to spend the time to manually split the runs. This maintains data integrity including my error for audit purposes. This is why I keep timer's notes published as of 2019.

Only thing hand entered is your transponder ID number and no... not the seven digit number but the two digit hand mark one plus PI values and miscellaneous driver info (name, car, model, year, etc.).

I purposely restricted manual entry as much as possible in the new software directive so it minimizes vectors for human error. If your time shown is weird, its just a matter of connecting two dots created by MyLaps with no possible way of manual editing.
                            Last edited by LemonJus; 08-28-2019, 04:53 PM.
                            Kevin Wong
                            GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
                            2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Going forward with Event #6 and #7 and onto the future, the results tab on the website will only show scored results. Laptimes will be a link to the live timing page where it archives the events. This further eliminates manual handling of documents and is an instant freeze of the day as soon as it is done (provided all penalties are laid and no challlenges are made).
                              Kevin Wong
                              GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
                              2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Working...
                              X