X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Toyo tire and contigency feedback needed

For contigency, was wondering whether
    A) this program is continuing to be offered for 2020

B) what are the rules (are you allowed to switch tire brands at any point of the season incase the tires get damaged, and still be eligible if 3+ events (the majority) were run using toyos)?

C) is a toyo t1s eligible (really crappy street tire) to be used as a substitute in case your 100 treadwear tires gets damaged)?

For advice on using toyo r888r tires,
    D) how many heat cycles (track temp for 20 minute durations) will a r888r last before grip falls off from competitive levels?

E) will street driving add any heat cycles ( driving as if you were sedated and not in any rush )

F) I've heard the same width runs wider on r888r compared to the hot street tires. On a 6.5, 7.5, and 9 inch wide rim, what is the widest recommended width to run for a r888r for outright speed without getting into weird non linear behavior? I'm guessing 195, 205, 235?

G) is 16, 17, or 18 inch the preferred rim size to get maximum performance out of the sidewalls or are the sidewalls stiff enough it doesnt really matter?

H) for a 3200lb car, would the straight line/grip in corners compromise be within 0.5 second per 60 sec lap between a 195 and 235 tire?

I think it is difficult to answer some of these questions but I would appreciate any feedback if available.

2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
    For contigency, was wondering whether

D) how many heat cycles (track temp for 20 minute durations) will a r888r last before grip falls off from competitive levels?
    Ujjwal, the only data point I can provide is that I ran the R888Rs in seven events without any noticeable fall-off in grip by the end of Event #7 at SMP last year. Do these questions indicate you are contemplating coming out of OTA retirement? :-)
    Jim (aka "Lawrence" in results). Red NA Miata and red NB Miata.

Comment

Was the Toyo Contingency Program still in effect in 2019? I can’t find anything on the web site, other than the 2018 info.

https://time-attack.ca/wp-content/up...cy-Program.pdf
      Jim (aka "Lawrence" in results). Red NA Miata and red NB Miata.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, good to know they last 7 events! If I get the opportunity, I'll definitely try to attend some spda hosted events.

2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
          Thanks for the feedback, good to know they last 7 events! If I get the opportunity, I'll definitely try to attend some spda hosted events.
          On the flip side, some others have had issues making them last the full season (Chris P had to really budget use to last the full season IIRC). It'll likely depend heavily on how wide the tires are, how heavy the car is, and how well it uses the full tire (camber challenged or not, etc).

I'd bet if you run a wider tire (245ish) on a GTI it should survive pretty well, going with something like a 205 might wear them quite a bit quicker.

Comment

Working...
          X