2020 Ontario Time Attack - Competitors Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmo-san View Post
    Additional points on the discussion of "not enough competition in classes" point from yesterday's competitor's meeting:

1) 2020 is obviously not a representative season for OTA
    2) if a competitor finds he/she is the only competitor to complete 5/6 events in a class, concentrate on trying to improve your standing in the overall standings instead (you've won your class by default)
    3) convince your friends, frenemies, family, co-workers, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, to compete in OTA to increase the number of competitors :-)
    1/ the average entry was up in 12% 2020 vs. 2019. 45 entries vs. 40.
    2/ everyone is scored for the overall. There isn't a separate scoring system for class.
    3/ Where were you this year Jim?
    Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy' by Browne & Frey

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus View Post

1/ the average entry was up in 12% 2020 vs. 2019. 45 entries vs. 40.
      2/ everyone is scored for the overall. There isn't a separate scoring system for class.
      3/ Where were you this year Jim?
      1) But notice how many "regulars" were missing from the 2020 season. Many competitors this year were novices (50, compared to 27 in 2019, 30 in 2018, 32 in 2017), and many came out for only one or two events, not 5 or 6.
      2) My point is that if you're the only competitor in your class and find this disappointing, you are still competing against everyone in the overall scoring. You can try to move up in the overall scoring if you want a goal or competition.
      3) Covid-19, obviously. I stay in hotels or camp out to compete in OTA, living 8 hours from TMP, 4 1/2 hours from CTMP and 2 1/2 hours from SMP. If there's no camping and hotels are not an option, it's just not very appealing or feasible to try to stay anywhere overnight. After completing a full season of five or six events each season since 2013, this seemed a good time to sit out a season.
      Last edited by jimmo-san; 12-08-2020, 12:48 PM.
      Jim (aka "Lawrence" in results)

Comment

Originally posted by jimmo-san View Post

1) But notice how many "regulars" were missing from the 2020 season. Many competitors this year were novices (50, compared to 27 in 2019, 30 in 2018, 32 in 2017), and many came out for only one or two events, not 5 or 6.
        2) My point is that if you're the only competitor in your class and find this disappointing, you are still competing against everyone in the overall scoring. You can try to move up in the overall scoring if you want a goal or competition.
        3) Covid-19, obviously. I stay in hotels or camp out to compete in OTA, living 8 hours from TMP, 4 1/2 hours from CTMP and 2 1/2 hours from SMP. If there's no camping and hotels are not an option, it's just not very appealing or feasible to try to stay anywhere overnight. After completing a full season of five or six events each season since 2013, this seemed a good time to sit out a season.
        I think you bring up a good point about the novice competitors.

Of the 107 different competitors who competed in OTA 2020, 47% were novices. Of the 107 competitors who scored in 5 of 6 events, 37% were novices. That's a pretty impressive retention percentage for any series.

Reaching and convincing 50 novices to come out to OTA was due in no small part to their aggressive new social media campaign. Keeping some many of those novices for 5 or more events is a real testament to how the OTA community organize events and was able to successfully manage the pandemic restrictions To me this clearly demonstrates that OTA is an attractive form of motorsport - full stop.

Hopefully COVID will become a bad dream in 2021 and previous competitors like yourself will return to both a larger and more competitive field of time attack enthusiasts. See you at the track.
        Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy' by Browne & Frey

Comment

Working...
        X