Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTA 2021 - The fastest 'solo lap' Street Tire - Defined as UTQG 200 ~ 249?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTA 2021 - The fastest 'solo lap' Street Tire - Defined as UTQG 200 ~ 249?

The Street Tire rule for 2021 is defined as UTQG 200 ~ 249 (also includes Nitto NT-01, Toyo R888R). OTA now joins must sanctioning bodies and series across North America that have instituted a similar definition for a "Street Tire". There are perhaps a dozen or more tires that might be competitive. Got any tire tests, personal data or bench racing opinion on which ones will be the fastest over a 'solo lap'? Of course in the end your personal choice could inevitably be a sum of many factors, including: competitiveness, drivability, tread life, durability, cost, sponsorship, contingency, etc.

Here's a short list of tires that could be competitive, please add more and let see what OTA competitors think:

1/ Bridgestone RE-71R
    2/ Yokohama A052
    3/ Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3
    4/ Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (240)
    5/ Nitto NT-01
    6/ Toyo R888R
    7/ Falken RT660
    8/ BFG R1-S
    9/ Hankook RS-4

Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy' by Browne & Frey

The Bridgestone RE-71R is shown with 'close-out' pricing @ TireRack. Is it being discontinued ? Will it be replaced?
    Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus View Post
      The Bridgestone RE-71R is shown with 'close-out' pricing @ TireRack. Is it being discontinued ? Will it be replaced?
      There a JDM enhancement of the RE-71R . No announcement date for North American version tho.

https://japan.cnet.com/release/30419769/

January 10, 2020

Bridgestone Corporation

"POTENZA" Street Radial "POTENZA RE-71RS", which pursues the fastest speed in history, will be released sequentially from February

Bridgestone Corporation will release a new product of the full-scale real sports tire "POTENZA". "POTENZA RE-71RS", which pursues the fastest speed in the history of street radial tires, will be released sequentially from February. The release size is 63 sizes, all of which set the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

"POTENZA" Since its birth in 1979, Bridgestone's sports tire brand has been recognized as a high-performance car in the world and continues to produce results in the world of motor sports. We named it "RE-71RS (R = Racing, S = Second / Sport)" with the meaning of inheriting the performance and passion of "RE71" and "RE-71R".

The "POTENZA RE-71RS" to be released this time uses tread rubber containing a high-grip polymer to improve the ground contact with the road surface, making full use of the technology cultivated in the development of tires for motor sports. In addition, our original technology "ULTIMAT EYE * 1" has optimized the pattern and shape so that the maximum contact area can be secured even while the vehicle is turning.

The optimized "asymmetric pattern" and "asymmetric shape" not only achieve a high level of grip and controllability on dry roads, which are important for circuit driving, but also achieve a long life. Compared to the popular conventional product * 2, the fastest lap time when driving on a circuit has been shortened by 2.0% * 3, and the wear life has also been improved by 5.0% * 4.

Last edited by Hqfoto; 01-06-2021, 12:47 AM.

Comment

The Street Tire rule for 2021 is defined as UTQG 200 ~ 249 (also includes Nitto NT-01, Toyo R888R).
        Here's a short list of tires that could be competitive, please add more and let see what OTA competitors think:

1/ Bridgestone RE-71R
        2/ Yokohama A052
        3/ Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3
        4/ Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (240)
        5/ Nitto NT-01
        6/ Toyo R888R
        7/ Falken RT660
        8/ BFG R1-S
        9/ Hankook RS-4
        Add:
        10. Nexen N'Fera SUR4G. - very quick and probably lowest priced tire in the group
        11. Toyo RA1 - R compound tire with long life and get wet grip. Kinda an old design as it's more than 20years old

Comment

And the tire wars just keep on escalating. Sure would be nice if UTQG rating could actually be standardized. Would save competitors a ton on money not having to run autocross type tires on the track. Oh wait.... that wouldn't be in the best interest of tire sales would it?
          Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

The UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) treadwear rating, also known as a treadwear grade, is a number stamped on the tire sidewall that relates to expected tire life. In basic terms, and in the spirit of the concept, the higher the UTQG treadwear rating, the greater the tire life.

One thing we do know, it's not a rating of how fast a particular car, with a particular driver, using a particular tire will go around a race track or autocross course. Even if it was, who is this 'particular' driver?; and what model is this 'particular car'?

Check: Wikipedia - Uniform Tire Quality Grading - Relation to friction coefficient.

"A lower treadwear rating indicates a higher friction coefficient and thus provides a shorter braking distance. A softer, more sticky tire, wears off its material faster to provide this performance."

Last edited by Brutus; 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM.
            Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

The UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) treadwear rating, also known as a treadwear grade, is a number stamped on the tire sidewall that relates to expected tire life. In basic terms, and in the spirit of the concept, the higher the UTQG treadwear rating, the greater the tire life.

One thing we do know, it's not a rating of how fast a particular car, with a particular driver, using a particular tire will go around a race track or autocross course. Even if it was, who is this 'particular' driver?; and what model is this 'particular car'?

Check: Wikipedia - Uniform Tire Quality Grading - Relation to friction coefficient.

"A lower treadwear rating indicates a higher friction coefficient and thus provides a shorter braking distance. A softer, more sticky tire, wears off its material faster to provide this performance."
              As an engineer, this is where I wish there was a proper third body certification like UL or CSA, etc. which could provide a standardized test for all tires that all competition bodies can use to figure out where a tire lands in terms of competitiveness.

Out of all the tires you listed, the RS4s I would say are more like 300tw than 200tw. I drove on my RS3s all season at OTA and then drove the car out to the east coast (Cape Breton) and back, tires still had 30% treadlife the year after.

Kevin Wong
              Kevin Wong
              GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
              2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

I see a new Kumho V730 on Tirerack. Not many sizes available yet. No real reviews I could find. If it's better than the V720, then it could be another to add to the list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	185566eb85d8f30cd03708cf4512ef02.png
Views:	309
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	458922
                Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
                  I see a new Kumho V730 on Tirerack. Not many sizes available yet. No real reviews I could find. If it's better than the V720, then it could be another to add to the list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	185566eb85d8f30cd03708cf4512ef02.png
Views:	309
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	458922
                  Make it #12. It meets the criteria and it's available in 2 or more rim diameters. Certainly lots of options.
                  Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

Make it #12. It meets the criteria and it's available in 2 or more rim diameters. Certainly lots of options.
                    I spoke with Kumho Canada, and apparently this tire will not be available in Canada. That might deter some.
                    Ray

Comment

Hi All,

Is anyone considering trying the Nankang CR1? How are Nankang tires?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by LemonJus View Post

As an engineer, this is where I wish there was a proper third body certification like UL or CSA, etc. which could provide a standardized test for all tires that all competition bodies can use to figure out where a tire lands in terms of competitiveness.

Out of all the tires you listed, the RS4s I would say are more like 300tw than 200tw. I drove on my RS3s all season at OTA and then drove the car out to the east coast (Cape Breton) and back, tires still had 30% treadlife the year after.

Kevin Wong
                        I think the RS4 at a true 200 is a stretch based on other tires with higher ratings, but the rest of the "200"tw hot tires are more like a true 100 or even 80. The original RS3's were 140, and magically bumped to 200 when the SCCA rules changed to 200.

Comment

It seems to be official that the Bridgestone RE-71R has been discontinued in both USA and Canada, and will NOT be replaced with the RE-71RS. Word is that the high global production capacity demand for OE tires has left no space for these tires.

Also in the news, is that there is a general shortage of 19" and 20" replacement tires.

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to buy your 2021 tire requirements now while inventory is available.

I have four slightly used AD08R's for sale in 305/30R19. Make me an offer.
                          Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

Working...
                          X